Apple adjusts iPod touch, nano, classic prices ahead of event

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dudley View Post

Oh I know all that but it used to be £283 vs $399, which is ~$450 or so.

Now it's £283 vs $279, which is just silly

They hadn't updated the UK store. Wait to see what the prices are when the store returns.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Fanboys would watch paint dry at an Apple event and think it mind blowing.

Nahhh that wouldn't be exciting...wait...what color?
  • Reply 63 of 67
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's exactly what I was thinking. I thought for sure that Quicktime 10 would have adressed this issue more than the fancy newlook. I went to convert a movie the other night and saw the 3 options and I still can't believe it. I don't want to make 2 versions- 1 for iPhone/Pod and 1 for ATV.

I haven't tried it, but I assume the iPod setting will also play on AppleTV (and it will definitely play on your computer) since the iPod is the lowest common denominator. The probably could make that clearer in QTX.

Also, head on over to iLounge. They have tutorials and guides to the various formats supported by Apple devices. This one is from a few years ago, but probably still relatively current.

That will give you something to read while waiting for today's announcements.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I haven't tried it, but I assume the iPod setting will also play on AppleTV (and it will definitely play on your computer) since the iPod is the lowest common denominator. The probably could make that clearer in QTX.

Also, head on over to iLounge. They have tutorials and guides to the various formats supported by Apple devices. This one is from a few years ago, but probably still relatively current.

That will give you something to read while waiting for today's announcements.

Thanks for the links.

While it makes sense that iPod setting would play on ATV it would also be of the lowest quality (size.) I still want the best size to play on all 3 like when you buy an iTunes movie. I will check out iLounge and see if they've reviewed Quicktime 10 and your links. Thanks again.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

They hadn't updated the UK store. Wait to see what the prices are when the store returns.

Indeed
  • Reply 66 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition, the 16GB iPod touch dropped from $299 to $249 and the 8GB model fell from $229 to $189.

Where are the old models on the Apple store? I only see the new ones.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Or they have a lot of inventory to shift. Who knows? The price drops are remarkable, though.

not really. component parts have gone down in price. plus they know they will sell a lot of them, especially touches, so if they can still make a hefty margin at a lower price. plus it makes them look good from a PR standpoint, like they are reacting to the economy, price complaints etc. which they might be a little but not to the point they are not making a small fortune.

oh and i'm laughing cause my roommates have to do the housework (even the bathrooms which they hate) cause they were sure I was crazy for saying that putting a camera on the touch would never happen since it combined with a decent VoIP app would cut into iphone sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Regarding Apple not having any new product to announce today because of an apparent delay due to technical problems with video components, that suggests there is a new product about to be revealed, otherwise today's event would not have been allowed to stamd.

indeed. they waited until like a week before to announce they were having this event. they wouldn't have done that unless they knew they had everything in the bag. and if something came up last minute they would have said "shipping soon" not "shipping today" at the announcement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Apple has a policy where it will refund the difference in any price cuts within I think ten days of purchase.

actually I believe it is the the same 14 days as the return. if you missed it only by a couple of days and you go in and politely ask a manager they might have the ability to flex that date a tad. but be nice. if you go in and are an arse they will not do you any favors since they don't have to.

also, if you bought said ipod with the student thing, forget it. I can bet you even money they won't give you the adjust cause you get a rebate on the purchase.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

This is going to be a very boring event if all there is are new iPods w/cameras.

actually for many, just seeing Steve on stage for long enough to say welcome would be pretty darn exciting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Still holding out hope that they'll make a Touch with a HDD.

not going to happen. Hard drives are dying tech. especially for things like ipods. Solid state is the future and will be appearing in computers more and more as the prices drop. starting with laptops since they are slung around more, which is one of the advantages of the lack of moving parts to break

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

I can see them selling a 16/32/64 GB iPod touch + New Features! at $229/$299/$399 -- but not alongside the 8/16/32 GB iPod touch (w/o New Features!) at $189/$249/$279.

but they will. at least for a time. some folks don't really care about the new features that much so the lower price will get them to buy the slight less swanky but still serviceable one for less. For example. I am going tomorrow to pick up two of the old 8gb touches for my nephews who have birthdays coming up. they will be playing games mostly (and they are 8 and 10 so they aren't high graphics games) and a few videos. they don't need that much. mom just doesn't want to risk her iphone getting dropped and broken by small hands. and she's very happy to save the extra money (plus I was told on the phone if I bring in my two old dead ipods I get a discount for recycling them. yippee)

Quote:

I think the iPod price cuts are temporary.

nope. Apple doesn't do temporary sale prices. these are the prices. period. the only way they might go is down. but again, it will be a price change, not a sale.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilma View Post

Where are the old models on the Apple store? I only see the new ones.

go to the clearance section (typically on the left toward the bottom). but don't be surprised if it is a tad empty right now. especially on touches. they probably did one last hurrah to the stores for the back to school and emptied out the warehouses so they could receive the new models. they will probably get those shipped out and then in a week or two have the stores send back any unsold old models and then they will appear online