Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399

Comments

• Reply 21 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Even though an ipod nano with a video camera (instead of just a still camera) is a bit of a pleasant surprise.................

Where the hell is the ipod touch with video camera?????

wuahahahah, I see people are pissed!!
  • Reply 22 of 260
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

I have no idea. But I have a feeling Steve is going to make heads roll because of it.

you can't be that naive

there are no manufacturing troubles, never were. adding the camera will kill the margins for the product. not for the nano though. all the supposed cases we saw pictures of look just like blackberry plastic parts i see on the street all the time.

the designs for these things were finalized months ago and if they were to have cameras you would see it in the case.

the camera rumors were lies planted by apple management for marketing purposes or by apple employees who are going to get fired. the military and CIA does stuff like this all the time to find people that are talking about things they aren't supposed to be. they tell them a lie and see if it pops up anywhere
  • Reply 23 of 260
    I am really, really bummed there is no camera on the touch.

I have been waiting months to pick up a touch for that reason.

My day is shot.

What the hell apple?
  • Reply 24 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

I guess the Touch is a bit of a red headed stepchild at Apple. I always want to buy one but they keep abusing it (to their detriment.) I can wait, but now it will have to have a camera, video, and maybe radio too.
  • Reply 25 of 260
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

No no no no no no. You misunderstand. Think about it......

I'm not simply upset. I'm just utterly, totally and stupefyingly CONFUSED as to why Apple didn't put the video camera into the ipod touch like the ENTIRE PLANET expected them to.
  • Reply 26 of 260
    Quote:

I'm not simply upset. I'm just utterly, totally and stupefyingly CONFUSED as to why Apple didn't put the video camera into the ipod touch like the ENTIRE PLANET expected them to.

Don't get me wrong. I was also planning to buy a Touch this fall just for the price drop, but considering that this version is but a stop-gag until a new one with video comes along, I'm slightly unmotivated.
  • Reply 27 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

there are no manufacturing troubles, never were. adding the camera will kill the margins for the product. not for the nano though. all the supposed cases we saw pictures of look just like blackberry plastic parts i see on the street all the time.

the designs for these things were finalized months ago and if they were to have cameras you would see it in the case.

I would say this is a marketing/segmenting decision. These features will come to the Touch, just not now. Adding these features to the Nano doesn't ruin their margins, adding them to the touch would affect their margins even less (might even lower them because Touch would harmonize and synergize with the iPhone)
  • Reply 28 of 260
    Quote:

I know a few people who were waiting on the camera/microphone additions to purchase the touch, hell I was going to replace my wifes and my 2g touch with 64gb. But, thankfully for my bank account - no money for apple this year.

Hell, my bank account loves Apple at the moment. No compelling reason to give them any of my cash.
  • Reply 29 of 260
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Did you not read the AI article saying that the touch was having troubles w/ the camera? People got pissed over the article and when it comes to fruition, they are blaming it on a secret conspiracy. If you want a camera on the touch you will probably have to wait until early next year.
  • Reply 30 of 260
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Looking at pictures of the new Touch on Apple's site (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ily/ipod_touch) , it sure looks like there's an obvious place to put a camera on the back. That little plastic tab is in the exact location the camera's at on my iPhone 3GS. Seems pretty clear that something went wrong late in the cycle and they pulled the camera.

The nano's camera is also only 640x480, so it's not appropriate for still images, just video. The iPhone was 2Mp and the 3GS is 3Mp, so less than 1Mp isn't going to cut it. Maybe they didn't feel that a 640x480 camera on the Touch was appropriate for its target market, and couldn't get the bigger sensors installed cheaply enough?
  • Reply 31 of 260
    So no FM Radio (yet they can in the Nano)? No details on the CPU?

The ZuneHD is cheaper and has:

FM Radio & HD Radio

OLED Screen

1GHZ NVIDIA TEGRA.

I saw that Apple was really pushing the Gaming experience. But the Zune will be having gaming, its GPU and CPU can do more and Microsoft has shown with the Xbox that it can take games from the leader (Sony) and bring them to its platform.

Now, I know this is an Apple fansite but from what I see out in the rest of the world... the ZuneHD really does have a chance. What are your thoughts... people really expected more.
  • Reply 32 of 260
    Quote:

I'm not simply upset. I'm just utterly, totally and stupefyingly CONFUSED as to why Apple didn't put the video camera into the ipod touch like the expected them to.

I agree with everything that is being said about the apparent miss with the camera and video on the iTouch. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the iTouch is going to become the entry level iPad and since the larger iPad won't have a camera/video, they didn't want to include it. It would be perceived as a take away. I'm just guessing. I am still scratching my head on this one.
  • Reply 33 of 260
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Looking at pictures of the new Touch on Apple's site (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ily/ipod_touch) , it sure looks like there's an obvious place to put a camera on the back. That little plastic tab is in the exact location the camera's at on my iPhone 3GS. Seems pretty clear that something went wrong late in the cycle and they pulled the camera.

The nano's camera is also only 640x480, so it's not appropriate for still images, just video. The iPhone was 2Mp and the 3GS is 3Mp, so less than 1Mp isn't going to cut it. Maybe they didn't feel that a 640x480 camera on the Touch was appropriate for its target market, and couldn't get the bigger sensors installed cheaply enough?

didn't all Touch's have this as well? Apple is just using the same case to save on manufacturing costs
  • Reply 34 of 260
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I would say this is a marketing/segmenting decision. These features will come to the Touch, just not now. Adding these features to the Nano doesn't ruin their margins, adding them to the touch would affect their margins even less (might even lower them because Touch would harmonize and synergize with the iPhone)

Yes. It can't be a manufacturing problem or of ruining profit margins. It's probably a marketing decision.

But I disagree with Apple on this wholeheartedly. They would have swept up this Christmas with an iPod touch with video. Now I believe that while they will have a successful Christmas shopping season for ipods, it will not be as successful as it could have been.

iPod Touches will beat the zune HD of course. But I believe that the Zune HD will see some good buisness in the coming weeks for sure.
  • Reply 35 of 260
    Quote:

But Phil, on stage just now, admitted that the ipod touch is really a portable computer. Is this one of Steve's famous last minute product decisions? What the bloomin hell?

Dumb as a bag of rocks, that.
  • Reply 36 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

That "tab" on the back of the current touch is for WiFi, I think. Nothing to do with a "shoulda-been" video camera lens.
  • Reply 37 of 260
    Huge miss.
  • Reply 38 of 260
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

But Phil, on stage just now, admitted that the ipod touch is really a portable computer. Is this one of Steve's famous last minute product decisions? What the bloomin hell?

My Wii has wi-fi, internet, calendar. Guess my Wii is a computer too. Woo-hoo.
  • Reply 39 of 260
    Apple is really going down a different road here... comparing the Touch to PSP and DS (btw, the DSi has a camera...). The touch is good for casual games but the lacks the proper controls to really compete with the dedicated game systems...

Oh, I do want 64GB but will just wait for the 4G next year in hopes it will have a camera. Just adding some speed and capacity is not reason enough for me to upgrade...

My fiancee might like the new Nano, though. She needs more than the 8GB Nano she has now...
  • Reply 40 of 260
    how many of those 21,000 aps in the app store are of the quality of the ds or psp games?

it's easy to say, we have more, but when 10000 of those are fart apps, it doesn't really mean much.