Apple refreshes iPod classic, ups capacity to 160GB

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Rumors of the demise of the iPod classic were greatly exaggerated, and Apple's new iPod shuffle has gained compatibility with more third-party headphones.

160GB iPod classic

Apple increased the capacity of its only remaining hard drive-based player to 160GB Wednesday. The new model carries the same price as the old 120GB offering: $249. It is advertised as carrying 40,000 songs in your pocket.

Ironically, the 160GB model equals one offered two years ago, when the new "classic" moniker was unveiled and sizes of 80GB and 160GB were released. Last year, the line was cut to just one 120GB model with an internal drive smaller than the 160GB version that was discontinued.

The new 160GB model has the same "thin" profile as the previous 120GB offering. Though a rumor weeks ago had suggested the classic might add a camera, along with the iPod nano, that report -- along with claims of an iPod touch with camera -- proved false.

New iPod shuffle has more headphone options

The latest update to Apple's self-proclaimed "world's smallest music player" will gain compatibility with more headphones, as the previous iteration's tethered controls were proprietary-only.

"The first music player to talk to you" is available starting at $59 for a new 2GB model, and comes in five colors. The 4GB model costs $79, and is also available in silver, black, pink, blue and green. There will also be a stainless steel special edition with 4GB of capacity, priced at $99.

While last year's version of the iPod shuffle previously required either the official Apple Earphones or In-Ear Headphones with Remote, the company will now license out hte controls to other manufacturers. Announced Wednesday were offerings from Sony, V-MODA, Klipsch, Scosche with built-in headphone controls, while Belkin and Scosche will offer built-in headphone adapters that will allow any headphones to work with the hardware.

"iPod shuffle is the world's smallest music player and now comes in five great colors starting at just $59," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "iPod shuffle is so small that you almost forget it's there, yet remarkably, it holds up to 1,000 songs and talks to you."

The iPod shuffle is based on Apple's "shuffle: feature, which randomly selects songs from your music library. The device features a wearable design with a built-in stainless steel clip. iPod shuffle users can easily clip it to almost anything and take it everywhere.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Logisticaldron

Last year Apple dropped the thicker, dual-platter 160GB iPod Classic and bumped the thinner, single-platter 80GB Classic to 120GB. I can?t find any evidence that HDD makers have increased the capacity of the single platter 1.8? HDDs to 160GB, so unless Apple plans on going back to the thicker Classic (which I can?t see happening and wonder if they did why not bump it to 240GB with dual-platters) I can?t see how the Classic will move to 160GB.

Can you see clearly now??
  • Reply 2 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rumors of the demise of the iPod classic were greatly exaggerated, as Apple increased the capacity of its only remaining hard drive-based player to 160GB.

Count me as one happy customer. I love my older generation 160Gb, and the thought of downgrading size made me sad. Now I have an option, as my current model is getting a little bit flakey in it's old age.

Long live the iPod Classic.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Can you see clearly now??

As usual, I can, and in a previous post I made mention that I can’t find a 160GB 1.8” HDD. I didn’t say that it didn’t exist I did say that Apple will not be going back to the thicker Classic. I do recall [you] saying that Apple will drop the Shuffle without controls. How is that working out for you?
  • Reply 4 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

As usual, I can, and in a previous post I made mention that I can’t find a 160GB 1.8” HDD. I didn’t say that it didn’t exist I did say that Apple will not be going back to the thicker Classic. I do recall saying that Apple will drop the Shuffle without controls. How is that working out for you?

We just got an amended shuffle that works with other headphones- that's good enough for me. People spoke and Apple listened.

Now did you find that 160Gb 1.8" HD yet? Apple apparently did- and it didn't just drop out of the sky. Keep me posted once you find it.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rumors of the demise of the iPod classic were greatly exaggerated, as Apple increased the capacity of its only remaining hard drive-based player to 160GB.

The new model carries the same price as the old 120GB offering: $249. It is advertised as carrying 40,000 songs in your pocket.

Ironically, the 160GB model equals one offered two years ago, when the new "classic" moniker was unveiled and sizes of 80GB and 160GB were released. Last year, the line was cut to just one 120GB model with an internal drive smaller than the 160GB version that was discontinued.

The new 160GB model has the same "thin" profile as the previous 120GB offering. Though a rumor weeks ago had suggested the classic might add a camera, along with the iPod nano, that report -- along with claims of an iPod touch with camera -- proved false.

I don't think Apple would kill the Classic design if for no other reason, because it's the "classic" design. The template, if you will, that became the iPod. And until the iPod touch hits 128GB + 256GB variations, it isn't beatable for large memory players. It may be last in iPod sales, but it still trumps all hard-drive players of any brand.

Apple isn't just gonna give that up and leave people with...the Zune. (cringes)
  • Reply 6 of 82
    Quote:

We just got an amended shuffle that works with other headphones- that's good enough for me. People spoke and Apple listened.

Now did you find that 160Gb 1.8" HD yet? Apple apparently did- and it didn't just drop out of the sky. Keep me posted once you find it.

I guess you still haven?t signed up for a reading comprehension class yet. You clearly stated that the lack of physical buttons on the Shuffle would mean it is the worst selling iPod ever, that no one would buy it, and that using the cord for controls was so troublesome because you can?t possible grab the cable hanging in front of you. I recall you buying a 2G Shuffle to show how adamant you were in your conviction. The idea that other companies have made headphones does not negate in any way your previous claims, but in fact proves that you were wrong about the popularity in that other companies are making headphones to accommodate the iPods and iPhones with these features. (Curious to see how you backpedal again on your previous claims of the Shuffle being a failure.)
  • Reply 7 of 82
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

As usual, I can, and in a previous post I made mention that I can’t find a 160GB 1.8” HDD. I didn’t say that it didn’t exist I did say that Apple will not be going back to the thicker Classic. I do recall saying that Apple will drop the Shuffle without controls. How is that working out for you?

Geez. Announced today.

http://tinyurl.com/nuhhdj
  • Reply 8 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Geez.

http://bit.ly/GWosR

LMAO!!!
  • Reply 9 of 82
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

LMAO!!!

Sorry, that got truncated and left off the single platter part. HD instead of HDD too.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    Quote:

Geez.

http://tinyurl.com/nuhhdj

And which of those links for a 1.8? 160GB HDD are for a single-platter drive that allows the ?thin? Classic to remain thin? I suppose it?s possible that Apple found a way to condense the rest of the components to maintain the same 10.5 mm thinness. I?ve looked and I can?t find it. I correctly stated that the thick Classic would not come back.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    Quote:

I guess you still haven’t signed up for a reading comprehension class yet. You clearly stated that the lack of physical buttons on the Shuffle would mean it is the worst selling iPod ever, that no one would buy it, and that using the cord for controls was so troublesome because you can’t possible grab the cable hanging in front of you. I recall you buying a 2G Shuffle to show how adamant you were in your conviction. The idea that other companies have made headphones does not negate in any way your previous claims, but in fact proves that you were wrong about the popularity in that other companies are making headphones to accommodate the iPods and iPhones with these features. (Curious to see how you backpedal again on your previous claims of the Shuffle being a failure.)

Those posts were like 9 months ago! Yours is from this morning.

I just bought Altec Lansing Bluetooth stereo headphones at the Apple store Friday(highly recommended) that work with my iPhone and Touch at the gym. I can even answer calls with them. And no cords- nada. So I have no idea what you talking about anymore.

Again the shuffle has been amended because people talked, the reviews sucked, and APple listened. Don't deny it.

I bought a 2G shuffle because Virgin went under here in NYC and I got it for $50!!!! I then gave it as a gift cause I already own one.

Did you google 160GB HDD yet?
  • Reply 12 of 82
    Quote:

Sorry, that got truncated and left off the single platter part. HD instead of HDD too.

According to Google News, introduced from Toshiba 18 minutes ago as of this posting! That seems to be a fair bit AFTER my statement was made about not being able to find a 160Gb 1.8” single-platter HDD. We expect this lack of reading comprehension from Teckstud, but not from you.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    Quote:

According to Google News, introduced from Toshiba 18 minutes ago as of this posting! That seems to be a fair bit AFTER my statement was made about not being able to find a 160Gb 1.8” single-platter HDD. We expect this lack of reading comprehension from Teckstud, but not from you.

Who designated you the Evelyn Wood of AppleInsider?
  • Reply 14 of 82
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Who designated you the Evelyn Wood of AppleInsider?

Who designated you the Resident Idiot? Quit being a jerk, if that's possible for you.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Who designated you the Resident Idiot? Quit being a jerk, if that's possible for you.

I only respond that way if I'm insulted left and right. Example:

Quote:

Logisticaldron. We expect this lack of reading comprehension from Teckstud, but not from you.

• Reply 16 of 82
    That WOULD be great news, but I just got a 120GB model for my birthday a little over a week ago... Thanks, Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    Quote:

I only respond that way if I'm insulted left and right. Example:

So you preempted an attack on me first in post #2? Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy. If you are going to be nasty to people and never admit when you’ve made a mistake you shouldn’t expect people to be too happy with you.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UndefinedPersona View Post

That WOULD be great news, but I just got a 120GB model for my birthday a little over a week ago... Thanks, Apple.

I think you have 10 days to return it from time of purchase. You can always call an Apple Store for a more definitive answer.

? http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im....html#topic-23
  • Reply 19 of 82
    Quote:

I think you have 10 days to return it from time of purchase. You can always call an Apple Store for a more definitive answer.

It came from Best Buy, though... and not from an Apple Store inside a Best Buy, either. Doesn't Best Buy have something like a 30- or 90-day return window? I already opened it and have been using it for the last week.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Teckstud and Logisticaldron are both trolls, we shouldn't be feeding them (as I am right now).