Odd Alerts in OS X...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Haven't had many in OS X. But some in applications...this is one from Adobe Acrobat 5...and after this it didn't ever try to open in Classic

Anyone have some to share? There must be some other weird ones out there...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member

This is as close as I can find right now. Sometimes Stone Design has some alerts and tooltips that are kind of like this, though perhaps less, um, ominous and a little more cute.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Here's one I captured a long time ago from TextEdit (the custom app icon is from IconFactory, IIRC). Yes, it is real and, no, I didn't make it in Interface Builder.

• Reply 3 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Here's one I captured a long time ago from TextEdit (the custom app icon is from IconFactory, IIRC). Yes, it is real and, no, I didn't make it in Interface Builder.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ohhh, that's why they don't support metadata.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Artman @_@, yours is pretty simple: there's an OS X and an OS 9 version of Acrobat Reader but, for reasons best known by Adobe, there's no difference in the version number...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Okay, here's a weird one I've been too lazy to find out about over on the Adobe forums....but maybe it doesn't apply here as there's no dialogue to go along with it....

Basically:

When I crank up Illustrator 10 it makes a beep about halfway through the startup. The only thing that comes to mind is that it could be a system alert notifying me that modifier keys have been changed (something you can set in the Universal Access portion of system prefs). But I don't -think- that's what it is.

Anyway....not as good as the others in this thread. I'll keep an eye out for a better contribution.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Did anyone else try to click that first no button like 10 times? I need some sleep :-)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Overhope:

<strong>Artman @_@, yours is pretty simple: there's an OS X and an OS 9 version of Acrobat Reader but, for reasons best known by Adobe, there's no difference in the version number...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good point there. I also said Adobe Acrobat 5...no...just the Reader. I had a long day at work with Acrobat on a Windows machine at work that same day. I distilled a 16 page catalogue and brought it home to check out on the Mac.

I always had Reader open in Classic. Aggrivated me to no end. So much so that I got another plug-in for the browsers to handle PDFs. But I guess after upgrading to Jaguar it was resolved. Still, to a novice that message would make them wonder what the hell Adobe was telling them.

Funny, thought after the weekend there'd be more...I use a screen capture program called Constrictor..very cool and easy to use one.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member

in Apple Mail app, good to see some sense of humor
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>

in Apple Mail app, good to see some sense of humor </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the subject of the mail.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    yeah... kinda realized that after.

ah well, seemed fun at the time...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I just discovered this one after using Safari Enhancer.

You can duplicate this with the Debug menu, in the page load test window. Just click on check leaks to the world.