iTunes 9 with app management, LPs, more, unveiled by Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    I just tried to install iTunes 9 and it told me I have to close XCode. Does anybody have any idea why?
  • Reply 42 of 121
    Anyone heard if it breaks syncing with the pre again
  • Reply 43 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Upon initial review, I'm not sure it really makes it all that much easier, unless I'm missing something. It appears that it's very similar to the existing library sharing with the exception that you can now click a button and have the song copied to the local library. But that assumes you know which songs you want/need to copy. I don't think it will make the comparison between libraries (what's in one but not the other) any easier. And be careful, if you click to copy the same song more than once, you'll end up with more than one copy in your local library! And it looks like the automatic syncing is only for iTS content, not CDs your rip yourself (but I don't have a CD to test that).

Actually, there's a selection on your "Shared" library where you can tell it to only show the files that you don't already have locally. And it does, in fact, copy all items, not just ITMS items. Lastly, you can tell it to automatically copy any new purchases.

Almost everything I wanted. It doesn't seem to sync changes to the ratings. I can see why some people would not want that, but I do.
  • Reply 44 of 121
    I apologize if it’s already been covered…

— The mini player can’t chosen from clicking on the green optimized button anymore. Have to use Menu or keyboard shortcut.

— iTunes Store now appears to use WebKit to render these new pages. They certainly look nicer, load faster and do appear to use HTML5 and JS elements.

— Still has Carbon and is, obviously, 32-bit.

Overall, I like the new changes, especially to the iTunes Store. Much cleaner to use. I hated it before.
  • Reply 45 of 121
    Its all good except that the playlist are white. The alternating background is gone. its harder to read with all light shining back at my eyes.
  • Reply 46 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

Anyone heard if it breaks syncing with the pre again

I was just wondering the same thing
  • Reply 47 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I was just wondering the same thing

I read that it does break it. I also read that some speculate that the delay of WebOS v1.2 from Sprint might be so they can fix any iTunes sync breakage.
  • Reply 48 of 121
    I agree the all white background makes it harder to read list and why the hell does Apple insist on having a different skin for the title bar for iTunes? Whatever happened to maintaining a unified UI?
  • Reply 49 of 121
    can someone please explain to me why after installing itunes on snow itunes doesnt function when I open it pleeease help
  • Reply 50 of 121
    Your missing the point. The people who buy the full album are in the distinct minority. That's why the record company's have been pushing so hard for changes to the way people buy music from itunes. They don't want to just sell singles, they want to sell the whole album because it makes them more money. My point in the first post was that this latest idea of offering liner notes, lyrics, and videos about the songs most people didn't care about and weren't going to buy anyways isn't going to make them decide to now buy it. Especially when it will cost 5 or 6 dollars more than the regular album which they weren't going to buy anyways.

It's nice that you clearly feel you have a better appreciation of music than most people but it isn't relevant to anything being discussed here. This new gimmick by the music industry to get the majority of people to buy albums isn't going to work and then what will they do. Perhaps they could try offering better music at a cheaper price?
  • Reply 51 of 121
    I think I'm missing something... is the 3.1 upgrade for free for iPod Touch users with the 3.0 software, or do 3.0 users have to pay... again?

If the latter:

• Reply 52 of 121
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I think I'm missing something... is the 3.1 upgrade for free for iPod Touch users with the 3.0 software, or do 3.0 users have to pay... again?

If the latter:

It's free if you have 3.0 and apparently 3.0 has dropped in price to $4.99 if you don't have it yet.
  • Reply 53 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porsupah View Post

(2) No iPhone pages in the applications sync tab? According to the site, I should see an iPhone display-sized pane to the right of the (now sortable) list of apps, but I'm only seeing the list of apps. Hopefully I'm just missing a step somewhere, as iTunes arrangement of apps is something I've been longing for.

yeah wtf. I was excited about this feature too, but it is missing. Anyone else got any dice?
  • Reply 54 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It's free if you have 3.0 and apparently 3.0 has dropped in price to $4.99 if you don't have it yet.

Ah, good. Glad to know Apple hasn't sunk that low... yet.

Though, not too happy about the 5 dollar discount... but eh. Price of early adoption runs steep in this company.
  • Reply 55 of 121
    Ugh, why did they step away from the unified UI? It looks bad and out of place. And come on, make it 64-bit Cocoa already.

I like the sidebar with artists a lot though.
  • Reply 56 of 121
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shepard View Post

Hmm, nobody buys albums because there rarely are more than a couple of good songs on it. Record company's can't understand why people won't pay for things they don't want. So they decide to add liner notes, lyrics, and making of video's about the crappy song's nobody likes, charge a extra $5 for it and expect people to now buy the whole album.

I buy albums all the time (actually CDs). Where are your facts about nobody buying albums? CDs still outsell online music (maybe not for long).

If you really can't find any albums where you like more than one or two songs, too bad. I find many (a lot are older artists I'm just discovering, some are new, but no pop stuff).
  • Reply 57 of 121
    Now if you browse the appstore from an older iTunes version than 9.0, app categories are gone!

And app categories selection in iTunes 9 app store is buried in the top menu: a way to make things more complicated for the average user.
  • Reply 58 of 121
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elffir View Post

Actually, there's a selection on your "Shared" library where you can tell it to only show the files that you don't already have locally. And it does, in fact, copy all items, not just ITMS items. Lastly, you can tell it to automatically copy any new purchases.

Almost everything I wanted. It doesn't seem to sync changes to the ratings. I can see why some people would not want that, but I do.

Yup, thanks! That's what I get for posting before completely exploring the new interface elements. Then again, I'm supposed to be working right now, not messing around in iTunes.
  • Reply 59 of 121
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shepard View Post

Your missing the point. The people who buy the full album are in the distinct minority. That's why the record company's have been pushing so hard for changes to the way people buy music from itunes. They don't want to just sell singles, they want to sell the whole album because it makes them more money. My point in the first post was that this latest idea of offering liner notes, lyrics, and videos about the songs most people didn't care about and weren't going to buy anyways isn't going to make them decide to now buy it. Especially when it will cost 5 or 6 dollars more than the regular album which they weren't going to buy anyways.

Where are your facts? In iTunes I'm sure there are a lot more single songs sold than albums, but CDs still outsell online music. With a CD you get the whole album, I believe.

Maybe this is a way of getting CD buyers to buy more online - if they would sell uncompressed music online I would buy more from iTunes. ((HD Tracks sells uncompressed music, but they don't have a comprehensive selection).
  • Reply 60 of 121
    Just installed iTunes 9 on a Mac Pro (early 2008 - quad-core Xeon) running Snow Leopard and it does not work! Basically it hangs forever (not responding). This is my first experience with newly released Apple S/W not running on a relatively new platform with the latest O/S...

Anyone else had this issue? Hope we get a quick upgrade to fix this.