Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399

Comments

• Reply 121 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

wuahahahah, I see people are pissed!!

And here I thought they also came with a lap dance for me to film. This world is so cheap!!
  • Reply 122 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It isn't a new model like the 32 GB and 64 GB versions. The are keeping the 2nd gen iPod touch around at a reduced price just like the 8 GB iPhone 3G.

I don't understand how the 32 and 64 GB units are "New" models then. What's new? There was a huge difference between the old iPhone 3G and the new 3G s
  • Reply 123 of 260
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post

Doesn't Apple typically have a refresh in October too? If so, which product family does it usually pertain to?

In 2005, they had two iPod announcements - Sep and Oct. Sep was a nano bump, while Oct had the new iPod video. Before 2005, they had one iPod announcement in Oct. In 2006 and 2008, they had Mac announcements in Oct.
  • Reply 124 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Jeff, be careful what you say dude. Seriously. You did your job, you edited the posts....now don't say a word more to me.

EDIT: I decided to edit my post at the last second before you responded. Seriously, drop it.

Dude shut up seriously.

If he don't ban you he is a punk.

Either way you are a punk.
  • Reply 125 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I don't understand how the 32 and 64 GB units are "New" models then. What's new? There was a huge difference between the old iPhone 3G and the new 3G s

At a minimum, Apple said the new ones have faster processors. We'll need to await the tear-down folks to tell us what else.
  • Reply 126 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

The main internals seem to be the same as the iPhone 3GS. I?d wager that we?ll find a Cortex A8 and PowerVR GPU with 256MB RAM, and it may even be at a higher clock than the 3GS, which will make it a better gaming device.
  • Reply 127 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

crazy, those technical issues must have been horrible...

I wonder what went wrong?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

Shocking as it may seem, it looks like video on the touch is a no-go...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And video? Does the new touch have video, just like the nano?

Ha ha! This rumor site was wrong...the iPod Touch never got a camera, but you ate it up and believed it! Amazing how gullible people can be. They were also wrong about iTunes too (Blu Ray and DVD-ripping...how stupid can some people be?)
  • Reply 128 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

what is the point of 802.11n when most people don't have broadband that fast?

The only reason I can see is that using the iPod touch on your home 802.11n network drops it to g speeds.

On the flip side, I believe the 802.11n chips still draw more power than the 802.11g ones, so keeping the touch at g gives it longer battery life.
  • Reply 129 of 260
    I'll pass on reaching for the credit card on a new iPod touch.

My wife has a 3 month old touch, but I would have replaced it if there was a camera and video added. As it is there is no reason to spend the money.

Maybe next year. I'll look for a camera on the front (for iChat) as well as one on the back for photos and movies. Would buy a new iPhone for myself if that happened.

Now all I'm waiting for is the new i7 processor for Intel on an iMac.
  • Reply 130 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The rumor world isn't representative of the real world. Most people don't know about the camera rumor, nor do they know about the ZuneHD, but they do know about the iPod Touch. A larger update would have brought in more ipod touch upgrades, that's true, but we have no idea why Apple left the camera out, so I wouldn't jump to call it a mistake.

Actually, it was more than just a "rumor", as there were countless news articles during the course of a few weeks on Google that speculated a Ipod touch with a camera, many of them written by Finance reporters as well as Tech reporters. It wasn't just an Mac fanboy insider rumor. For most people, this upgrade would be expected and logically, a "no brainer". The Iphone and the Ipod touch are nearly identical (with the exceptional of the phone portion), and since the Iphone now has a built in camera/video camera, it would have been the natural evolutionary update for the Ipod touch. But that was not to happen. How difficult would it have been to put a camera on a device that you already have it in in a nearly identical device? This new "update" of more speed gives no tangible reason for current Ipod touch owners to upgrade. It just doesn't make sense. For that, it was indeed a MISTAKE; who ever decided to not include the camera on the Touch did a piss poor job of decision making from a marketing standpoint. Horrendous mistake, Apple.
  • Reply 131 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Now all I'm waiting for is the new i7 processor for Intel on an iMac.

Is the TDP of the i7s anywhere close to the TDP of the C2Ds used in the current iMacs?
  • Reply 132 of 260
    I am as surprised as I am amused over all these teed-off reactions.

First off, though, I have a question: What's the bluetooth for?

I think it'd be nice if they made automatic syncing over it an option.

More on topic, I'd like to share that I'm extremely HAPPY that the Touch does NOT have a camera. Yes, I made a little dance around the room upon this pleasant shocker. I too bought into the rumours and speculations, so imagine my relief.

All I wanted was the 64 gigs, and I got a little processor boost on top of it. Regarding GPS, I'm anxious to see the upcoming TomTom hardware - 'cause if not for navigating in the car, I see no use for GPS on any mobile device. I can actually remember, for instance, the countries in which I take my photos - (using a neat little device called a camera).

Most of the "loyal to Apple" gadget geeks crying wolf, will very likely own a non-Apple phone that includes a camera with better specs than anything Mac have to offer. Personally, I'd like to consider the Touch a semi-'serious' device for its above-decent organizer, e-mail and web apps. To have all that on the world's "funnest" and most user-friendly portable media player, is already quite amazing.

A camera would actually spoil it for me, as do a lot of the apps that I'd never download, because to me they take a bit off the Touch's classiness. The decision to put the instant YouTube clip maker on the Nano, is an excellent one. Let them young 'uns fool around with those - that's why the Nano comes in silly colors, right?

Still, please y'all keep up the whining. It makes the real world seem so bubbly.
  • Reply 133 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jo.han View Post

I am as surprised as I am amused over all these teed-off reactions.

First off, though, I have a question: What's the bluetooth for?

I think it'd be nice if they made automatic syncing over it an option.

Do you have any idea how long it would take to sync 64GB over BT?
  • Reply 134 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Do you have any idea how long it would take to sync 64GB over BT?

Of course I do,

but A. does anyone change 64GB between syncs or do we just tweak?

and B. I was mainly thinking about calendar and contacts and such.
  • Reply 135 of 260
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I'm in near tears because Yoko wasn't there. Even worse, no camera on the iPod touch.

64 GB and a camera with a slightly faster processor would have sucked the credit card right out of my wallet.

At least I won't have to TIVO Obama's big speech to watch Apple's event.....

This will cause a blip in the upgrade cycle. But Apple will make up for it in the next upgrade.
  • Reply 136 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, such off-the charts hyperventilation over a rumor that did not come to pass!?

And, thank you, Apple, for keeping the Classic and bumping up its specs for the same price!

I'll second the praise for the Classic.

However, Apple has put themselves into a mind boggling position. In order to convince a nano customer to spend more money they not only have to prove the value of the app store, they have to convince the customer that the radio, camera and pedometer in the nano are of no value. It's possible that those are the very features that attracted her in the first place.

Why would any company put itself in a position where it has to denigrate its own product to sell a more expensive one?

Why would any company put itself in a position where it must insult the intelligence of a potential customer?

I'd be amazed if AAPL shareholders aren't more outraged by such insanity than the posters on this forum. I simply cannot believe Steve Jobs or anyone else with an IQ greater than his shoe size approved this new iPod lineup.
  • Reply 137 of 260
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

I'm sorry, but really, why is everyone in full on geek rage over an unsubstantiated rumor not coming to fruition?

Bingo! Apple never promised anything. Sites like this add fuel to the fire, but many times do hit on the mark.

I really can't see an overwhelming use for a camera, myself. I'd loved the GPS, though, and that would have made the difference for me. I'm leaning toward the Nano, as is, and waiting on the Verizon iPhone rumors to either come to fruition or not. I'm active, so a Nano is looking good, but I won't use the camera on that, either, probably.
  • Reply 138 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jo.han View Post

Of course I do,

but A. does anyone change 64GB between syncs or do we just tweak?

and B. I was mainly thinking about calendar and contacts and such.

I?d think WiFi would be better for that since it has a larger area of use and is faster. On top of that, most people liekly don?t keep BT on as it drains power just from being turned on, even if there is no data being sent, and do Touch users really need to have contacts and calendars updated instantly like a phone can easily do since it, by design, is in an always on state. It would be great, but there are just too many negatives and very few pros that would appeal to very few people.
  • Reply 139 of 260
    My son was saving for a Touch with video camera and when he heard it was only in the Nano, he suggested he order the Touch from the online Apple Store and have it engraved with 'Insert camera here'... He may 'settle' for the Nano...and that's a real feeling...'settling'. I told him to wait until the day after the Zune HD announcement...something's just weird about no 16GB Touch...
  • Reply 140 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I?d think WiFi would be better for that since it has a larger area of use and is faster. On top of that, most people liekly don?t keep BT on as it drains power just from being turned on, even if there is no data being sent, and do Touch users really need to have contacts and calendars updated instantly like a phone can easily do since it, by design, is in an always on state. It would be great, but there are just too many negatives and very few pros that would appeal to very few people.

Agreed, though I'd be o.k. with automatic wireless non-MobileMe syncing.

What is the BT for then? Headset? GPS receiver pairing? Remotely blending smoothies?