dock feature that id love to see

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
well, this all started one night when i had quite a crowded dock, aside from the usual players there were apps that i dont keep in the dock open since i was using those as well, the dock started getting tiney, so i turned on my magnification to see things better, later on i closed the apps but with magnification still on. thats when it hit me, wouldnt it be great if the dock had a setting where you could tell it when the icons get so small that magnification will turn itself on, and when they reach a certain bigness that it will turn itself off? i sent the request to apple so maybe we'll see it happen, who knows, but just thought it would be a great feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You know, that's what the magnification limit slider is for.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    If you put the mag. level close to min. it will magnify when the dock makes itself smaller, and if the magnification is small enough, it won't do it once the dock grows back to it's normal size. It's almost there.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    i'd prefer a 'smart' dock. you know, just like smart playlists.

a setting in the prefs where you can have it set to most used at the left (or top if you have the dock at the side of the screen like me) or application's rating (i give mail and safari 5 stars so they are at the top)

taking this further, there could even be 'genres': design, development, admin etc...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    you are working on over kill, it woulkd take forever for you to locate something, or it would just add up to a lot of time lost
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebagakid:

<strong>you are working on over kill, it woulkd take forever for you to locate something, or it would just add up to a lot of time lost</strong><hr></blockquote>

are you referring to smart dock?

'take forever'? for less frequently used apps, /harddisk/Applications/ seems pretty easy and being a preference, you would have the option to switch this 'feature' off.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    yea chucker, that slider also requires going to turn on magnification and off, im talking about what was mentioned above, a smart dock, one that you can tell if dock gets this small, then magnify icons this big, and when dock gets this big, turn off magnification.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by millhouse:

<strong>yea chucker, that slider also requires going to turn on magnification and off, im talking about what was mentioned above, a smart dock, one that you can tell if dock gets this small, then magnify icons this big, and when dock gets this big, turn off magnification.</strong><hr></blockquote>

can you not read? if you slide the magnification slider to smaller then the default size of the dock, it will only magnify the dock when it gets smaller then the default size (when a lot of apps are open...)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    If the dock is bigger than what the Mag. slider is set at then it will not magnify, just as good as being off. If the dock gets longer and smaller, then it will be smaller than what the mag. slider is set at, and it will be "on".

EDIT: Bah.. Paul you beat me.

[ 02-02-2003: Message edited by: iBrowse ]</p>