OS X on G4 350 MHz (AGP graphics) Power Mac?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) 350 MHz. My question is, how well will OS X perform on my comp? What I was thinking of doing is upgrading the Graphics card and getting the 20" display and OS X.

Reason is I really want to get the 20" display and want OS X but only if OS X will be as responsive as OS 9 currently is on my comp.

Also, any suggestions as to what Graphics Card I should get?

Thanks in advance for your educated advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Well. As long as you don`t do more than one small task at a time and get a new graphics card it *Should* be bearable
  • Reply 2 of 26
    I've just installed Jaquar on my system and it flies. 10.1 was bearable speedwise, this OS kicks ass. I have an original G4 450 with AGP graphics, an ATI Rage 128, so my system is only a little different than yours. You should have a good time with, though there is one problem I would like to warn you about - there are still no drivers for mid- and large format printing.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    P.S. Multitasking kicks ass too.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Also, if you're not quite satisfied with the performance, consider a processor upgrade. A dual processor would be awesome for multitasking, but even a single will do. I think you can get dual 500 MHz, as well as single and dual 800 and 1000 MHz upgrades for that computer.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    [quote]Originally posted by PooPooDoctor:

<strong>I have a Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) 350 MHz. </strong><hr></blockquote>works like a charm. With a new graphix board so you can use Quartz Extreme, it'll be a very nice experience. Fill it up with RAM too.. not a byte less than 512 MB.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    Buy the original AGP Radeon-card (I think it's the Radeon 7000) for QE support, and just like Henriok said; not a byte less than 512MB RAM.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Can you use the 20" display on that computer? I didn't think the 350Mhz G4s had ADC...

It will run fine, but I don't think it will be as responsive as OS 9 until 10.3.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fobie:

Buy the original AGP Radeon-card (I think it's the Radeon 7000) for QE support<hr></blockquote>

Not quite true... the original AGP Radeon was just the Radeon. The Radeon 7000 is a later, lower cost, slower version. I've heard the 7000 is a more balanced card, with better 2D than the Radeon but worse 3D, but I'd say the Radeon is better anyway. But if you want to use one of the new displays, you need at least a Radeon 7500 I think, so get one of those. Make sure whatever graphics card you get is Apple OEM so it has an ADC port, that'll let you use Apple monitors. I'd suggest a Radeon 7500, Radeon 8500, Radeon 9000, GeForce 3, or GeForce 4MX. Any of those will do a great job, depending on how much you are willing to spend. Again, double check first before buying to make sure it has ADC, and make sure what you get is compatible with the 20" display.

[quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

Can you use the 20" display on that computer? I didn't think the 350Mhz G4s had ADC...<hr></blockquote>

They didn't, but it's easy to add a QE compatible graphics card to their AGP slot. Although the 350 MHz speed is often associated with the Yikes! (PCI Graphics) version, there were also some 350 MHz Sawtooth (AGP Graphics) versions made as well. The first to have ADC standard was the Gigabit Ethernet line, consisting of 400/dual450/dual500 computers.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    With a 350 G4 I think you can expect it to be sluggish.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I have the same system, and have OS X 10.2 and have used both an Apple 15 inch flat screen (DVI not ADC) and a normal monitor. The system has 320MB memory. OS X needs lots of memory. I have to say I think it is pretty responsive on this system. I use Mac office with no problems, and the only apps that really seem to bog it down big time are iPhoto and Photoshop LE - still useable but sluggggggish. Good luck
  • Reply 11 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    As long as you have enough RAM and a good graphics card, you should be fine.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    your computer does not support ADC.

the display will not work unless you buy a DVI adapter.

buying an ADC equiped video card will not offer a solution. your motherboard does not have the power passthrough connector for ADC.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Thanks, applenut, I was trying to say the same thing.

I hope the thread starter reads that.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    You could get more screen real estate with two smaller monitors and spend the extra on a processor & video card upgrade. It will have to be a single cpu because the early G4s dont support the dual upgrades. I guess it just depends what is more important to you and you have to consider that the monitor can carry over to a new computer sometime in the future.

I always hate these kind of questions. So much depends on everything else.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>your computer does not support ADC. The display will not work unless you buy a DVI adapter.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Applenut,

I just checked out ATI's website. The Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition comes with 64MB of DDR and it has both ADC and DVI connectors.

Why wouldn't it work in his computer?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Agent69:

<strong>

Applenut,

I just checked out ATI's website. The Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition comes with 64MB of DDR and it has both ADC and DVI connectors.

Why wouldn't it work in his computer?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The card would work- just not the ADC. The DVI would work fine.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Thanks everyone for all your replies.

[quote]Originally posted by wwwork:

<strong>You could get more screen real estate with two smaller monitors and spend the extra on a processor & video card upgrade. It will have to be a single cpu because the early G4s dont support the dual upgrades. I guess it just depends what is more important to you and you have to consider that the monitor can carry over to a new computer sometime in the future.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well... The 20" display is what I have been waiting for. I don't want two monitors. Now, originally my idea was to get the 12" PowerBook and the 20" display to replace my G4. That is, use the PB as both my desktop with the 20" and as my portable comp instead of my iBook. Having two comps has proved to be a pain due to continuously having to move files from one to the other. But anyhow, I then find out the 12" PB does not support the 20" display. Go figure. This leaves me with a choice, get a new G4 or wait and see if a future revision of the 12" PB will support the 20" display. I don't want two comps!! So I'm thinking, OK then, I'll get a new Graphics card for my current G4 and the 20" display. I would then already have the display if and when the 12" PB supports it.

I don't want to sink money into my G4 with upgrade cards and such. In the end, I would still have an outdated comp. A graphics card is all that I would be whiling to spend on it.

Oh well, I guess I will have to wait a bit longer. My Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) 350 MHz does what I want it to do and is fairly fast with OS 9.2, it beats the pants off of my 500MHz iBook by a long shot, upgrading to a new comp and OS X is more of a desire then a necessity at this point.

Thanks again for all you help.

• Reply 18 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

The card would work- just not the ADC. The DVI would work fine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is this because of power requirements?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    I have exactly the same system as you. With 512 MB of RAM, OS X runs acceptably. Not terribly fast, but acceptably. It's not exactly as responsive as OS 9, but it's close enough that it doesn't bother me (this is 10.2 we're talking about of course).
  • Reply 20 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Agent69:

<strong>

Applenut,

Why wouldn't it work in his computer?</strong><hr></blockquote>

because ADC support was added to Summer 2000 macs and later.... for it to work, there must be an additional connector in front of the AGP slot on the motherboard for the graphic card to plug into.

his powermac does not have that connector on the motherboard