What might have really happened to the iPod touch camera....

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So where did the camera in the iPod touch go??! The million dollar question...

A: The iPod touch w/camera was simply never intended for this announcement.

History of rumors as I remember them...

- Reports / Photos of iPod touch 3rd party cases with camera portals on the back!

- Photos (maybe real) of what looks like and iPod touch with the camera lens in the back!

- Reports of the entire iPod lineup getting a facelift!

- Reports leak (honest to goodness leaks) that some iPod models will get cameras!

- Rumor reporters put two and two together and report that the entire iPod lineup will get cameras! After all looking at the rumors that proceeded this new one... its not a difficult conclusion to make.

Now:

Q: What's WORSE then a leaked rumor that steels Steve Jobs THUNDER!

A: A rumor report that NAILS the 'big news' but also exaggerates it to include modes they are still being developed (the touch).

What to do when its SO CLOSE the event kickoff? The only thing they can do, float out news to the usual sources that the iPod touch cameras are found to have issues and may not be ready for prime time.

This way people like me and other can point to 'something' to explain why the iPod touch got no camera love.

I'm currently believing the iPod touch w/Camera was never intended for this event **OR** if it was, it's been known for quite a while that it was not going to make it.

The timing of the rumors make it all seem like this iPod touch camera issue was discovered less than 48 hours ago and I'm sorry but I don't buy it...

So

Either there WAS a problem with the iPod touch camera and it was pulled perhaps weeks ago or longer -OR- the iPod touch will see the camera in its NEXT update and that was the plan from the very beginning. When perhaps at the same time Both the iPod touch and the iPhone will both see new cameras... this time both front and back facing.... Yea sure I might as well resurrect an old rumor since I'm posting...

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

So where did the camera in the iPod touch go??! The million dollar question...

A: The iPod touch w/camera was simply never intended for this announcement.

History of rumors as I remember them...

- Reports / Photos of iPod touch 3rd party cases with camera portals on the back!

- Photos (maybe real) of what looks like and iPod touch with the camera lens in the back!

- Reports leak (honest to goodness leaks) that some iPod models will get cameras!

- Rumor reporters put two and two together and report that the entire iPod lineup will get cameras! After all looking at the rumors that proceeded this new one... its not a difficult conclusion to make.

Now:

Q: What's WORSE then a leaked rumor that steels Steve Jobs THUNDER!

A: A rumor report that NAILS the 'big news' but also exaggerates it to include modes they are still being developed (the touch).

What to do when its SO CLOSE the event kickoff? The only think they can do, float out news to the usual sources that the iPod touch cameras are found to have issues and may not be ready for prime time.

This way people like me and other can point to 'something' to explain why the iPod touch got no camera love.

I'm currently believing the iPod touch w/Camera was never intended for this event **OR** if it was, it's been known for quite a while that it was not going to make it.

The timing of the rumors make it all seem like this iPod touch camera issue was discovered less than 48 hours ago and I'm sorry but I don't buy it...

So

Either there WAS a problem with the iPod touch camera and it was pulled perhaps weeks ago or longer -OR- the iPod touch will see the camera in its NEXT update and that was the plan from the very beginning. When perhaps at the same time Both the iPod touch and the iPhone will both see new cameras... this time both front and back facing.... Yea sure I might as well resurrect an old rumor since I'm posting...

Dave

Wait, I don't get it. can you boil it down to one or two sentances?

But anyways, I think that the ipod touch with video camera was indeed intended for today's announcements. Obviously SOMETHING happened behind the scenes. I'm guessing that production problems were so profound that it will miss the entire product cycle. I mean, otherwise it would have been announced today but simply shipped at a later time.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    The decisions made could not have happened within the last week or month. These decisions get made way in advance to allow time for manufacturing, shipping, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so Christmas or next sept, 3 months, 6 months etc

just buy an old one, is the "s" that much bettr

wow without the camera it's a hold over

VERY DISAPPOINTED
  • Reply 4 of 20
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

But anyways, I think that the ipod touch with video camera was indeed intended for today's announcements. Obviously SOMETHING happened behind the scenes. I'm guessing that production problems were so profound that it will miss the entire product cycle. I mean, otherwise it would have been announced today but simply shipped at a later time.

One problem with your line of thinking...

Where did the NEW iPod Touch come from that was actually announced today?

If you want me to believe that they had LAST MINUTE problems come up that caused a LAST SECOND keynote rewrites then where on earth are they getting these new iPod touches...

All with printed boxes.

All with printed store displays and marketing materials.

All the web page updates

Any/All promotional videos of the new iPod touch

All with PR press ready high color professional photos that are used by publications.

A new build of the OS without the camera software installed.

Remember, If the iPod touch WITH CAMERA was really a last MINUTE failure then all of that STUFF would have to be thrown out (since they all would have referenced the camera in some way shape or form... since its a pretty big new feature).

Oh yea and I forgot... then they'd have to magically have to ANOTHER iPod touch with all the new features we saw today MINUS the camera hardware. Did some magician at the factory in China 'flipped a switch' that caused the assembly line to build the same devices they were building before but without the camera part installed then 500 workers all trying to find a way to cover the camera hole in a warehouse full of iPod touch back covers.,

Nope... the iPod touch with camera was either a known problem for a very long time, long enough to create all the materials and more that I'm sure I'm forgetting or what I said above...

It was never intended for this special event and the story leaked about camera problems was just a smoke screen to lower people expectations or lessen the blow.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The decisions made could not have happened within the last week or month. These decisions get made way in advance to allow time for manufacturing, shipping, etc.

Within the last week or even month?

You do realize all of the things they would have needed to do...

- All new professional photos

- All new marketing aids

- All new boxes

- All new owner manuals

- All new tech manuals / repair manuals etc

- Web site work content photos feature layouts etc

- Apple store work - same as above

Oh

A newly designed iPod touch using a new/faster CPU.

All in a week or even a month...

Maybe with Santa's help but short of that I'm thinking no.

But if we start seeing leaked repair manuals clearly showing the camera and hardware teardowns clearly showing a PCB that has a 'missing part' where the camera would have been... then maybe you're right they did pull it off...

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I think the Touch, not the nano is the new iPod flagship moving forward. I think they knew they were not going to make it with the camera in plenty of time to do something for the launch. Still, I think they were intended. I also suspect the innards will get the 3GS treatment. Having said all that, they will sell a boat load of nanos.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Agreed. At some point they decided that the high-end iPod model (touch) should lack features thrown in with a cheaper model. It can only be for marketing reasons, they don't want to steal any iPhone sales, or something.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Agreed. At some point they decided that the high-end iPod model (touch) should lack features thrown in with a cheaper model. It can only be for marketing reasons, they don't want to steal any iPhone sales, or something.

So let me get this straight...

As early as LAST WEEK Apple had a iPod touch with camera on the assembly line (perhaps even building units I'd have to imagine) and then Thursday or Friday Steve says, you know what lets scrap the camera from the Touch...

Or are you saying Apple had TWO totally different products designed, tested and engineered each with its own marketing materials and tech papers BOTH sitting waiting for the call to start the line and then last week Steve made the official call.

Well the 2nd idea while wasteful and redundant is not out of the realm of possibility...

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

As early as LAST WEEK Apple had a iPod touch with camera on the assembly line (perhaps even building units I'd have to imagine) and then Thursday or Friday Steve says, you know what lets scrap the camera from the Touch...

Or are you saying Apple had TWO totally different products designed, tested and engineered each with its own marketing materials and tech papers BOTH sitting waiting for the call to start the line and then last week Steve made the official call.

Well the 2nd idea while wasteful and redundant is not out of the realm of possibility...

Dave

Not sure how you are misreading the intent behind these comments. The point was that there was no way on Earth that any decisions to not include a camera on the touch were made recently. The decisions were made long ago in the product development cycle. Do you agree or disagree with this?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Dave

What thought process is going through your head as a you completely misread posts and then respond trollishly to them?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Not sure how you are misreading the intent behind these comments. The point was that there was no way on Earth that any decisions to not include a camera on the touch were made recently. The decisions were made long ago in the product development cycle. Do you agree or disagree with this?

Wait, this is EXACTY was I said in the 1st post!

Wow... I totally misread your post!

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

What thought process is going through your head as a you completely misread posts and then respond trollishly to them?

Yes I plead guilty on the charges of misreading the forums posts... I throw myself on the mercy of the court.

But trolishly... I don't think my post was trolling? It was simply trying to understand how one could think the camera was called off as early as last week or last month even but since that comment wasn't made in the first place my reasonings are moot and in turn someone else agreeing with a post (that I miss read) made me want to comment further... Yes reading IS fundamental perhaps I need to slow down and read more before I react...

No intention to act trolish in any way honest.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Wait, this is EXACTY was I said in the 1st post!

Wow... I totally misread your post!

Dave

Alright, then! We're clear here.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Alright, then! We're clear here.

WAIT!?!!?!?

j/k j/k

yes quite clear

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

And I'm sure it did. The ACTUAL prototype intended for production I would bet money was the one with the camera in it. This 3rd gen ipod touch without a camera had to be a contingency as people are now suggesting. It's the only thing that makes sense now......despite what Jobs told Pogue in that interview today.

Jobs must think we're lower than dirt.....seriously!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

What do you mean? I can totally see Apple doing this. Although, I don't think this is what happened this time around. Does anyone really buy what Jobs told Pogue in that interview that we all DON'T want cameras in the ipod touch?

Someone goofed behind the scenes and now the ipod touch with camera will miss this year's new product cycle. All because some idiot somewhere made a big blunder. I hope Steve tears his head off and kicks it around the office like a soccer ball!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Someone goofed behind the scenes and now the ipod touch with camera will miss this year's new product cycle. All because some idiot somewhere made a big blunder. I hope Steve tears his head off and kicks it around the office like a soccer ball!

Don't hold back man, let it all out!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

What do you mean? I can totally see Apple doing this. Although, I don't think this is what happened this time around. Does anyone really buy what Jobs told Pogue in that interview that we all DON'T want cameras in the ipod touch?

There may very well have been design and/or manufacturing problems preventing a camera from going in the touch, and in that case I'm sure Steve was pissed at somebody.

Bt those problems would have occurred months ago, not in the last couple of weeks.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:

There may very well have been design and/or manufacturing problems preventing a camera from going in the touch, and in that case I'm sure Steve was pissed at somebody.

Bt those problems would have occurred months ago, not in the last couple of weeks.

What IF they WERE planning two different Touch lines?

Touch #1 = the ones that were released yesterday.

Touch #2 = a Touch with a camera, and maybe even a gps.

What if Touch #2 wasn't ready, for what ever reason? Touch #1 gets announced and is ready right now.

Or, hey, what if this was the plan all along? People will now think that there's no camera in the Touch, so why not just buy a Nano. Then, the Touch #2 comes out just in time for Christmas. Then I'm gonna need to buy one of them too. That's a good way to sell more iPods, right?
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

What IF they WERE planning two different Touch lines?What if this was the plan all along? People will now think that there's no camera in the Touch, so why not just buy a Nano. Then, the Touch #2 comes out just in time for Christmas. Then I'm gonna need to buy one of them too. That's a good way to sell more iPods, right?

Yep... I was just starting to think the exact same thing...

It's not often where Apple has the luxury of putting in a new feature into the BOTTOM of the line product when the TOP of the line doesn't even have it.

Jobs is one smart cookie...

I'm CONFIDANT that a measurable number of new iPod Touch buyers will also be walking out of the Apple Store with a Nano as well. Maybe someone could get MacOS Rumors to make that its next home page poll... Asking people who are GOING to buy the Touch or Nano or Neither or Both

Very smart Mr. Bond... Very smart...