Snow Leopard's still got too many bugs. Don't install just yet!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Well I'm generally happy but so far there has been a few learning curve type things that have slowed me down. Programs no longer has a contextual menu attached to the icon in the dock, iTunes can't be controlled there anymore nor can Adium.

CS4 was crashing quite a bit but I fixed that by deleting each programs prefs.

I'm excited about the new services menu the iphoto pack you can get at apple is great (emailing each person form a photo is really handy)

I look forward to 6.1

flick.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    To all new Apple users: Wait for a month MINIMUM before installing OS upgrades. The temptation will be strong, but you'll save on the headaches by waiting.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

To all new Apple users: Wait for a month MINIMUM before installing OS upgrades. The temptation will be strong, but you'll save on the headaches by waiting.

Agreed - punches self in face

flick.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flick Justice View Post

Well I'm generally happy but so far there has been a few learning curve type things that have slowed me down. Programs no longer has a contextual menu attached to the icon in the dock, iTunes can't be controlled there anymore nor can Adium.

CS4 was crashing quite a bit but I fixed that by deleting each programs prefs.

I'm excited about the new services menu the iphoto pack you can get at apple is great (emailing each person form a photo is really handy)

I look forward to 6.1

flick.

Control of iTunes via dock works fine here, but I don't have Adium or CS4 to test.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Control of iTunes via dock works fine here, but I don't have Adium or CS4 to test.

Hey it does work.

Hot tip for the day. Hold the control key while click the dock Icon brings up the control menus for an application.

fantastic. one thing off my gripe list.

flick.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I installed SecureClient VPN finally by doing some simple changes to install files. Works excellently. Hopefully Checkpoint will have a formal update for everyone else.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Waiting also lets 3rd party developers update their programs too.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Salespeople at 3 Apple resellers I visited today and yesterday advise to NOT install SL yet. Too many bugs and probs. They say better to wait until OSX.6.1 or OSX.6.2, which might be a few months...

By all means, bet your wallet on 3rd party sales folks. They don't have non-SL ready products to push on you after all.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Waiting also lets 3rd party developers update their programs too.

3rd party devs have had 18 months to update.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Salespeople at 3 Apple resellers I visited today and yesterday advise to NOT install SL yet. Too many bugs and probs. They say better to wait until OSX.6.1 or OSX.6.2, which might be a few months...

lmao. Nobody at Apple would ever tell you that. Not anyone who still works there.

Nothing wrong with SL. Works fine. So does 6.1 which took months, err, a week, to release.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Macbook Pro 1,1 and recent Macbook: flawless, no issues. Especially love the faster networking connections to my windows home server.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What is the hurry? OS 10.5 works great. Developers should take as much time as they need and do a good job.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    SL has killed my wireless connection between my iMac and TimeCapsule... Applestore staff had nothing to suggest. I am not the only one either:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....49690&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....54818&tstart=0

Not good for software updates to stop your own products working together properly Apple!
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

But Apple did catch the developers by surprise. When Apple said that SL would release in the September timeframe many developers were expecting the end of September not the end of August. So many developers were caught flat footed.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I wish I would have waited. It took out my iMac.

Again I say "To post an outlandish statement like this without providing details makes it UNBELIEVABLE" !!!

Either details or go home.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    It's irresponsible to advise others to avoid installing the OS entirely, due to your own anecdotal experiences.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Again, this is why I'm glad to be on this forum. I am sorry to hear of all the problems you all are having though thanks in advance for saving me any future issues.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Again I say "To post an outlandish statement like this without providing details makes it UNBELIEVABLE" !!!

Either details or go home.

Ah, the attack the one with a problem to shield Apple crowd that is unfortunately becoming far too common. Here's your details so you can be quiet.

Installed Snow Leopard. Next day, it stopped working all of a sudden and wouldn't recognize the hard drive anymore. Called Applecare finally got it to recognize the hard drive by zapping the P-RAM, but it had switched the hard drive identify from either 0 or 1 (whichever is default) to disk number 7. Apple care said it was probably going related to Snow Leopard and Applecare would have the store wave the fee for data recovery. Store genius took a look and said the install has caused the hard drive to fail...and they wouldn't honor Applecare's exemption on the data recovery.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hodgkin View Post

I am right there with you. This is really frustrating. X11 is weird and taking forever to load, MacPorts is pretty much broken for some reason. Binaries seem to have been moved into /Developer/usr/bin from /usr/bin. vim is only using about 20 lines instead of an entire X11 window. Creating terminal tabs has a lag and a beach ball .... Of course some apps stopped working, but those will all come in time.

Spotlight lags, my System Preferences won't open the Sound pane ....

Usually these kind of things imply a lot of cruft in your install that a clean install or archive/install would solve. Macports being broken is normal since that seems to happen with every major OS upgrade. But based on the rest of your post my guess is you have a pretty customized setup and because the OS was a major upgrade not everything went well.

As a developer and very heavy user of SL, while not everything is perfect, its a great release.

For those who complain that SL was supposed to be some polish only - while that's Apple's marketing, its not true. SL is a pretty big change to the underside of the OS. The kernel uses GCD instead of plain threads now - this in itself is a huge change to how stuff works. Everything is 64-bit which means that a lot of stuff has been optimized, polished, and as a side-effect - is new.

SL was tested heavily by Apple and devs. But because of the architecture, I find that old cruft affects it more than people realize. I found that until I updated a few key things I used they all broke badly.

The one bug that seems to be completely Apple's and completely irresponsible for Apple to let be is crashing in open/save dialogs. That's inexcusable. Now lets see if 10.6.1 helps with that.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    I'd say Apple rushed this new update/OS out the door trying to beat Windows 7 to the punch... If Apple would stop trying to turn everything into a war with Microsoft, and concentrate on what they're doing... they wouldn't be plagued by the problems of lately.