Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, security updates, more

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The first maintenance update for Snow Leopard, Apple's latest operating system, was released Thursday afternoon, less than two weeks after the software's debut.

According to Apple, the 71.47MB update "includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac." It is available via Software Update or direct download from Apple.

According to the release notes, Mac OS X 10.6.1:

Improves compatibility with some Sierra Wireless 3G modems

Addresses an issue in which some printer compatibility drivers might not appear properly in the Add Printer browser

Addresses an issue that might cause DVD playback to stop unexpectedly

Addresses an issue that might make it difficult to remove an item from the Dock

Resolves an issue in which the Command-Option-T keyboard shortcut would sometimes bring up the special characters menu in applications such as Mail and TextEdit

Addresses instances in which auto account setup in Mail might not work

Resolves issues when sending mail with certain SMTP servers

Addresses an issue in which Motion 4 could become unresponsive

Includes an update to Adobe Flash Player plug-in version 10.0.32.18

Also released Thursday was Mac OS X Server 10.6.1. The 71.57MB download is also available for download from Apple. The update includes improved reliability of services using Grand Central Dispatch, and a fix for duplicate serial number alerts on servers with multiple network interfaces.

Apple's older operating systems also received security updates. Security Update 2009-005 is available for Leopard Server (93.1MB), Leopard (93.14MB), Tiger Server (206.43MB), Tiger Server Power PC (132.53MB), and Tiger Intel (169.75MB).

Also issued Thursday was iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0.2. The update applies to iMac computers with an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics card running Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later. It updates the graphics card firmware to improve system stability.

Finally, Apple also released an update for Apple RAID Card firmware. The 26.12MB download:

Improves reliability during startup and power loss recovery.

Addresses a potential issue when rebuilding a degraded RAID 5.

Resolves an issue that can fill the on-board flash file system.

Improves battery handling and reporting.

Improves compatibility with Mac OS X v10.6 and Mac OS X Server v10.6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    Wow. I think that was the fastest update in Apple's history
  • Reply 2 of 88
    Well considering they have had about 5 weeks to work on it, but yes it was pretty quick to get it out there. However I feel that .2 will take a lot longer to release.
  • Reply 3 of 88
    Well, my Canon Imageclass MF4150 is still broken. Guess I'm going to downgrade to 10.5 until it works with 10.6 as Leo Laporte said...!
  • Reply 4 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well considering they have had about 5 weeks to work on it, but yes it was pretty quick to get it out there. However I feel that .2 will take a lot longer to release.

Yeah, you are probably gonna be right on that one.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    I installed the update a few hours ago and I had not a single crash of Photoshop or Dreamweaver since then. Before the install they were all over the place... It might be a bit premature, but Apple might as well have fixed this issue without writing about it. Let's hope that it is really more stable now and not just a lucky accident.
  • Reply 6 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Frustrating.

My Canon IPF5100, which us an Ethernet printer works fine.

My HP CLS8500N, also a network model, doesn't.

The Canon worked with 10.6 as well.

All my USB printers work, though I had to add a driver from Apple's list, though the correct driver was installed for my Samsung SCX-4521F.

All the printers I have show up in the print dialog box and the add printer window except the HP.

The only way to add the HP is through the IP printing menu. I've never had to do that before. But even after it's added, and set up, which works well, it pauses when a job is sent, because it says that it can't find the printer. The driver will resume when I delete the job. I don't understand why it won;t see the printer as the Ethernet lights on the router and printer are on, showing that it's recognized by the network. When I plug the cable into the second Ethernet port on the Mac Pro, it till doesn't see it. This is odd.
  • Reply 7 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nblavoie View Post

Well, my Canon Imageclass MF4150 is still broken. Guess I'm going to downgrade to 10.5 until it works with 10.6 as Leo Laporte said...!

The printing via airport express (to an hp officejet in my case) is still not fixed in 6.1.
  • Reply 8 of 88
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nblavoie View Post

Why would expect Apple to make your Canon printer work? Isn't that Canon's responsibility?
  • Reply 9 of 88
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post

I installed the update a few hours ago and I had not a single crash of Photoshop or Dreamweaver since then. Before the install they were all over the place... It might be a bit premature, but Apple might as well have fixed this issue without writing about it. Let's hope that it is really more stable now and not just a lucky accident.

Highly doubtful. Lucky accident is much more likely.
  • Reply 10 of 88
    Firefox auto-updated and warned me I needed to update Adobe Flash (again, I just did it last week) before I ran the Software Update.

So Apple must have thrown in a few easy bug fixes with the last update to include Flash.

Adobe, Adobe, Adobe, what are we going to do with you?
  • Reply 11 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why would expect Apple to make your Canon printer work? Isn't that Canon's responsibility?

Apple has committed to having these printers work.

This is even to the point of installing drivers themselves. I went to HP's site where I can find the latest driver for my now older printer. This time when I went there, it said that no drivers were needed, as it was taken care of by Apple.

The drivers for many printers are in Apple's software. All the drivers for my HP CLS 8500N are there, but it doesn't help.

Apple farked something, and they have to fix it.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

[?]

My HP CLS8500N, also a network model, doesn?t.

[?]

The only way to add the HP is through the IP printing menu. I've never had to do that before. But even after it's added, and set up, which works well, it pauses when a job is sent, because it says that it can't find the printer. The driver will resume when I delete the job. I don't understand why it won;t see the printer as the Ethernet lights on the router and printer are on, showing that it's recognized by the network. When I plug the cable into the second Ethernet port on the Mac Pro, it till doesn't see it. This is odd.

Could this be a case of conflicting KEXTs since you were previously using HP drivers over Apple?s since the ones supplied by HP were better?
  • Reply 13 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Could this be a case of conflicting KEXTs since you were previously using HP drivers over Apple’s since the ones supplied by HP were better?

I don't see how. When updating to 10.6, all conflicting drivers are removed, supposedly.

Besides I then manually edited this after I had a problem. It's now using Apple's drivers, or at least, the drivers that HP supplied Apple.

It should see the printer no matter what. The fact that it doesn't is disturbing.

All the Canon drivers are Canon's.
  • Reply 14 of 88
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Unfortunately, performance is even lower than 10.6.0 as measured by Xbench. Open GL is 1% even slower or more than double less than Leopard .
  • Reply 15 of 88
    Well I guess Tiger isn't quite dead yet. Seeing how quite this 10.6.1 release was, I guess it's still possible for Leopard to get 10.5.9 with the next 10.6.2 since Tiger got 10.4.11 when Leopard got 10.5.1.
  • Reply 16 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Unfortunately, performance is even lower than 10.6.0 as measured by Xbench. Open GL is 1% even slower or more than double less than Leopard .

What does "double less than Leopard" mean?
  • Reply 17 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Well I guess Tiger isn't quite dead yet. Seeing how quite this 10.6.1 release was, I guess it's still possible for Leopard to get 10.5.9 with the next 10.6.2 since Tiger got 10.4.11 when Leopard got 10.5.1.

10.5.8 was dragged out for a considerably long time with many, many Betas, and there has been no 10.5.9 Betas since the 10.5.8 release, so I?m guessing that security and app updates are the only thing Leopard users can look forward to at this point.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    I've installed Mac OS X 10.6.1. Still a few minor quirks for me.

I have a Samsung ML-2850D laser printer. Samsung did update the driver at Mac OS X 10.6.0, and the printer prints OK. But the Smart Panel portion for the desktop still generates errors, which I can see in the Console. Not a big problem, and you can exit Smart Panel to kill that process. I guess Samsung will eventually port those panels to the Cocoa frameworks.

I use Zoom all the time, and I see a quirk there. My iMac has a ATI Radeon HD 2600 video card. The Zoom works, except that if you do a mouse click on a window portion (not an input field), a sudden re-positioning of the window can occur.

I've also discovered that AppleScript applications may need to be recompiled. I had a script that needed Rosetta to be executed! A recompile fixed that.

But basically, I'm pleased with Snow Leopard. I would expect that Mac OS X 10.6.2 to have a much bigger set of bug fixes reflecting customer experiences in the field.

Edit: There is firmware posted today for the Radeon HD 2600 Pro and Radeon HD 2400 XT for some iMac models. I downloaded it, and tried to install, but got a message that my model iMac didn't need it. Still getting unexpected window re-positioning with Zoom.

2nd edit: Re: Samsung Smart Panel for printer…apparently Samsung updated the drivers but not the Smart Panel for SL. Resolved problem by going to adm. account and System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items and deleted 'SPanel'. That resolved the crashes that showed up on the console log and removed the Smart Panel icon on the desktop menu bar. Re: inability to install firmware…Apple's documentation about the firmware update for graphic cards was apparently too broad, causing the futile attempts to install by a lot of people (including me).
  • Reply 19 of 88
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What does "double less than Leopard" mean?

Well, it means I got distracted . I meant to say (as you probably guessed) it's less than half the performance of Leopard.
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Well, it means I got distracted . I meant to say (as you probably guessed) it's less than half the performance of Leopard.

The numbers are less than half?

Can you give some Leopard numbers and some SN numbers?