What is this particular hard drive icon/type?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When I plug-in my eSATA drive, the following drive icon(s) shows up on my desktop (due to partitions). What is the technical symbol/name for the two drives on the right-hand side?

I ask just to educate myself, and I also am curious to know why CandyBar (by Panic) does not have an option to change this...

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    SCSI (pronounced scuzzi) connection:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

How are you connecting the drives to your computer?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

SCSI (pronounced scuzzi) connection:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

How are you connecting the drives to your computer?

That's the one... thanks!

I'm connecting my drives via eSATA via an ExpressCard slot (MBP). So... why exactly does it show up that way? SCSI and eSATA are completely different, no?

Where could I find the default system icon for a SCSI drive (in Snow Leopard)? I'm surprised CandyBar has not listed this... though I'm sure it's relatively uncommon for average and even power users to come across this.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

I'm connecting my drives via eSATA via an ExpressCard slot (MBP). So... why exactly does it show up that way?

Maybe due to Apple not officially supporting eSATA, they just never made an icon for it. It doesn't look like it has an actual logo, just the word e-SATA.

Quote:

Where could I find the default system icon for a SCSI drive (in Snow Leopard)? I'm surprised CandyBar has not listed this... though I'm sure it's relatively uncommon for average and even power users to come across this.

Try /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/SCSIParallelHD.icns
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Maybe due to Apple not officially supporting eSATA, they just never made an icon for it. It doesn't look like it has an actual logo, just the word e-SATA.

You bring up an excellent point

Quote:

Try /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/SCSIParallelHD.icns

I'll check into this a bit later. Thanks for the help!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Got it. It's a 4,1MB kernel extension file in my OSX.5.8.

But what app do I use to open, inspect, and edit it?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Got it. It's a 4,1MB kernel extension file in my OSX.5.8.

But what app do I use to open, inspect, and edit it?

You right-click it and choose show package contents to access the sub-folders. To create a .icns file, you can use icon composer that comes with the developer tools.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    !!! WARNING !!!!

Messing with these files proved to be somewhat risky. After modifying the icon, everything looked to work fine. After a reboot (which inconveniently occurred after I installed 10.6.1... thus greatly misleading me from the actual culprit), I got the following error:

Quote:

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

None of my drives would mount after this (including USB, Firewire, etc.). After a slight freakout period, I calmed my nerves, gathered myself, and tried repairing permissions using Disk Utility. Thankfully this found some erroneous permissions in that extension mentioned, and I was back up and running.

Bottom line: If you change the icons, repair your permissions!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    It's possible that you're seeing a SCSI version of the hard drive icon because your eSATA card is emulating SCSI. Your Mac "sees" a SCSI hard drive so it gives it that default icon.

If all you're wanting to do it change the icon, why not just Get Info on the drive and paste in a new one? True, it will only fix it for that drive but how many drives are you constantly plugging in.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarl View Post

If all you're wanting to do it change the icon, why not just Get Info on the drive and paste in a new one?

Excellent, tari! That's the Mac way of thinking: do the obvious, using common sense logic, and Hey Presto, it works!

(I seem to remember that icon thing already worked like that in System 6...; yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm a fossil too).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

!!! WARNING !!!!

Messing with these files proved to be somewhat risky. After modifying the icon, everything looked to work fine. After a reboot (which inconveniently occurred after I installed 10.6.1... thus greatly misleading me from the actual culprit), I got the following error:

None of my drives would mount after this (including USB, Firewire, etc.). After a slight freakout period, I calmed my nerves, gathered myself, and tried repairing permissions using Disk Utility. Thankfully this found some erroneous permissions in that extension mentioned, and I was back up and running.

Bottom line: If you change the icons, repair your permissions!

Rule#1: After ANY software install or update ... repair permissions, they almost always will have been altered.