Installing SL in Two Computers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I bought SL for my home computer but want to install it also on my work computer since it is taking long for the IT people to decide when to move to SL.

Can I just take my CD and install it on my work computer? Will this cause any problems such as not able to download software updates and such?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

I bought SL for my home computer but want to install it also on my work computer since it is taking long for the IT people to decide when to move to SL.

Can I just take my CD and install it on my work computer? Will this cause any problems such as not able to download software updates and such?

Thanks.

No you can't because you don't have a software licence.

Why would it effect software updates? This is Mac we're talking about - not Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    If it's a purchased retail copy then I don't see why it would cause any problem.

Of course I assume your IT dept. would have a problem with you taking it upon yourself to do their work, and possibly giving them problems(just my experience of IT depts!), and your employer(assuming you're not the boss) might have a problem with unlicensed software being used and the liabilities that might pose.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

If it's a purchased retail copy then I don't see why it would cause any problem.

Of course I assume your IT dept. would have a problem with you taking it upon yourself to do their work, and possibly giving them problems(just my experience of IT depts!), and your employer(assuming you're not the boss) might have a problem with unlicensed software being used and the liabilities that might pose.

And the obvious reality of it being company property and as an employee you have no right to install stuff that isn't allowed to be on there.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Buy the family pack(allows you to install it on 5 computers) next time.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Thanks.

There is nothing that will technically prohibit you from installing SL on two different computers using the exact same installation disc. This is, however, very much "illegal" as you only buy a single valid license with the $29 version. Snow Leopard (and Mac OS's in general) do not require "activation" like *cough* Windows. This is a super-convenient feature that I hope sticks around for a while, so I second the reply that suggested you buy the family license pack. If you go to Amazon (link here), you can get it for $40.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if this is erroneous info.

In regard to the software updates, I'm unsure of what you mean... care to clarify a bit?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fernandovalente View Post

Buy the family pack(allows you to install it on 5 computers) next time.

Family packs only apply to non-business use, and in the same building.

I have two Macs and a home business....I have to buy two separate licenses.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I like the honor system by Apple. Again, leave it to Apple to do the right thing.