G1 iPod touch and 3.1 Firmware?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a first generation iPod touch running firmware 2.2.1. The last time I plugged it in (after updating to iTunes 9.0) I got an offer to upgrade the iPod to firmware version 3.1 -- for $4.95. I clicked "remind me later." I haven't seen that offer again! So that's one question... what happened to the $4.95 offer? The second question is whether this upgrade works directly from from 2.x or if the $9.95 upgrade to 3.0 is required first. The third is about whether the 1G touch can really run the 3.x OS. I've heard reports that it's very slow.

And please, don't tell me how I can download this software from torrents. I'm not asking about that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Nobody? Nobody at all?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I have a first generation iPod touch running firmware 2.2.1. The last time I plugged it in (after updating to iTunes 9.0) I got an offer to upgrade the iPod to firmware version 3.1 -- for $4.95. I clicked "remind me later." I haven't seen that offer again! So that's one question... what happened to the $4.95 offer? The second question is whether this upgrade works directly from from 2.x or if the $9.95 upgrade to 3.0 is required first. The third is about whether the 1G touch can really run the 3.x OS. I've heard reports that it's very slow.

And please, don't tell me how I can download this software from torrents. I'm not asking about that.

I just got done reading one of my RSS feeds saying that there was a upgrade price drop. So go and look for the Touch upgrade page and upgrade if you want.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I just got done reading one of my RSS feeds saying that there was a upgrade price drop. So go and look for the Touch upgrade page and upgrade if you want.

Yes, thanks... so I discovered. The cost from 2.2 to 3.1 is now $4.95. This is one time when it paid to wait. FWIW, the upgrade offer page did appear in iTunes the next time I plugged in the touch, and it seems to be running fine after the upgrade. No major performance issues that I can see.