New Mouse?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When is Apple going to come out with a new mouse and get rid of this stupid scroll ball?

With all of this touch technology, why is there even a physical object to manipulate to scroll?

Apple bring us a new mouse!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

...With all of this touch technology, why is there even a physical object to manipulate to scroll?...

Horses for course, but I don't think I'd like a 'touch' mouse; I like the 'feel' of something moving. I use a very cheap scroll-wheel mouse at work, and it does the job just fine, I have a MM at home, and while it's alright some of the time I tend to overlook it cause it often doesn't work with Safari; I don't know if it's an issue with the mouse software of Safari, but either way it's Apple's software that's faulty, and I can't help that niggles like this are becasue they're trying to do something very simple in a complicated way for the sake of it.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Um... Mighty Mouse works just fine with Safari... of course, Safari has no idea WHAT kind of pointing device is being used ... That's handled by the System, not by the Application.

I like the scroll ball ... when it works. My complaint is that it get dirty too easy (just dust, sweat, and oils)... at which point the ball becomes intermittent. But I like being able to scroll 360 degrees versus a wheel that is just up/down.

A touchpad might be a good setup... expensive, but heck... it's a $70 mouse... it can afford a touchpad!!! I use a couple of Apps on my iPhone (Airmouse?... and HippoRemote??) as input devices for my Mini media center. Granted, a mouse wouldn't have as large a "pad", but it works quite nicely!
  • Reply 3 of 32
    There are a few mice out there that use a touchpad instead of a wheel for scrolling. I used one a while back, and although I can't remember the make or model, it wasn't impressive.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

When is Apple going to come out with a new mouse and get rid of this stupid scroll ball?

Only Mr. Ego knows for sure. /not a Ratatouille reference
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Um... Mighty Mouse works just fine with Safari... of course, Safari has no idea WHAT kind of pointing device is being used ... That's handled by the System, not by the Application...

Yeah I guess it's the system/driver software at fault then; it's not 100% of the time, just it'll stop scrolling down sometimes, which is bloody annoying for something that should 'just work'. Either way it's Apple's bug, as everything involved is from them, (not)working in their closed environment!??
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

Yeah I guess it's the system/driver software at fault then; it's not 100% of the time, just it'll stop scrolling down sometimes, which is bloody annoying for something that should 'just work'. Either way it's Apple's bug, as everything involved is from them, (not)working in their closed environment!??

That's not a bug, it's a dirty mouse. The Mighty Mouse is notorious for it. Get a paper towel, spray some Windex into it (damp, not soaked), and scrub the ball in all directions (but specifically vertically) and try it again. You should see at least some downward movement. Rinse and repeat until the mouse is back to working order. To stop it from happening again, do that same thing every once in a while to preempt the grime from building in the mouse.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

That's not a bug, it's a dirty mouse...

Wish that it were; but I'd thought of that. Trouble is when it stops scrolling in Safari it'll contiue working fine in other app's; close and re-open Safari and it'll work again... for a while
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Mouse input handled by the system, not by an APP... if it were a driver bug, you would see it in EVERY App, not just Safari. (Now, it IS possible to have Apps with specific/proprietary input devices that only work with that App, but Safari/Mighty Mouse ain't one of 'em.

I'm gonna stick with "it's dirty" for now.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    I'd like to see Apple's full-size keyboard with a big MBP-style touchpad in place of the numeric keypad.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I'd like to see Apple's full-size keyboard with a big MBP-style touchpad in place of the numeric keypad.

or an iPhone style touchpad !
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

...I'm gonna stick with "it's dirty" for now.

But if it were just dirty why would it only be dirty in Safari, and get clean just by restarting Safari??
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

People have been calling for this for a while.

How about an iPod battery in the mouse/key board with detachable USB cord (i.e. same one as iPod)? that way its wireless and rechargeable
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

But if it were just dirty why would it only be dirty in Safari, and get clean just by restarting Safari??

Just going off experience. I don't see how Safari could refuse to scroll downward but not up, while other programs work fine. On the other hand, I've seen so many mice with dirty jogballs that I could build a castle out of them.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I hate the "mighty" mouse so much.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Unless there's some kind of new technology I don't think its going to happen. In the time the Mighty mouse has been out, Apple wasn't so much as looked into fixing its flaws despite a lot of criticism. I don't think you're going to see anything change until there's a change in the corporate culture, its just too arrogant right now. They're right even when their not.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Just going off experience. I don't see how Safari could refuse to scroll downward but not up, while other programs work fine. On the other hand, I've seen so many mice with dirty jogballs that I could build a castle out of them.

I've noticed in multiple browsers/OSs/mice that certain items on some pages (drop-downs, flash, etc.) seem to intercept the scroll commands, which makes the page not scroll. If you move the mouse to a different location within the page, does that "fix" it?

Annoying yes, but seems to be "broken" at a different level...
  • Reply 17 of 32
    I may need to check this out !!

The Touchpad Mouse I've been wanting...

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/-/spm9800_10/prd/gb/
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

...If you move the mouse to a different location within the page, does that "fix" it?...

No; I know what you mean, and that's common to most, if not all, scrollwheel mice I've used. The problem I have is unique to Safari/Mighty Mouse; however I should point out that, partly donw to this problem, the MM is hardly used now, so I haven't tried it since Safari4.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Probably the best way to answer the question once and for all is to try another Mighty Mouse. If it's an inherent software issue, another identical mouse should show the same issues. If it works, the original mouse is dirty or defective.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Probably the best way to answer the question once and for all is to try another Mighty Mouse. If it's an inherent software issue, another identical mouse should show the same issues. If it works, the original mouse is dirty or defective.

Not a bad idea, but I don't know anybody who's bought one!