How do I NOT show invisible files in the Finder?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I used to use little hacky apps back in OS X 10.1 days to receal hidden files in the Finder.

I no longer have those apps anymore in Jaguar, but I can still still invisible files.

I am tired of looking at all those .DS_Store files.

Is there a CLI shell command to hide invisible files again?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The easiest thing I can think of is that I would just download TinkerTool again, it is a small download afterall, and turn them back off.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    [code]defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0</pre><hr></blockquote>

That'll do it if you don't want to download TinkerTool again.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>[code]defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0</pre><hr></blockquote>

That'll do it if you don't want to download TinkerTool again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bingo! Thats what I wanted. Thanks Brad.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member

<strong>[code]defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0</pre><hr></blockquote>.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is this something to type into a console window, a line to add to a config file somewhere, an AppleScript command to the Finder? I'm not groking from the syntax where or how the above should be used.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Hey Brad, between college and everything how do you find time to learn everything about every peice of software? For real?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by shetline:

<strong>[code]defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0</pre><hr></blockquote>.</strong>&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Is this something to type into a console window, a line to add to a config file somewhere, an AppleScript command to the Finder? I'm not groking from the syntax where or how the above should be used.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

At a shell prompt.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by shetline:

<strong>Is this something to type into a console window, a line to add to a config file somewhere, an AppleScript command to the Finder?</strong><hr></blockquote>As serrano said, that's a command you would use at a shell promt such as the one in Terminal.app. The command "defaults" is used for reading and writing entries to the preferences files for apps. The string of words after it are the arguments for the command. The first part is the action to perform, the second the file to access, the third the entry in the file, and the fourth the value for that entry. In this case, AppleShowAllFiles is a boolean. So, 0 sets it to false and 1 would set it to true.

[quote]Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy:

<strong>Hey Brad, between college and everything how do you find time to learn everything about every peice of software? For real?</strong><hr></blockquote>I am omnipresent. :cool:

[ 02-14-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Ah. Good answer. Figured it had something to do with that.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member

<strong>As serrano said, that's a command you would use at a shell promt such as the one in Terminal.app.</strong><hr></blockquote>

A shell prompt is what I meant when I said "console", but with there being a Console.app that does something completely different than Terminal.app, I guess I should watch my terminology. Isn't "console" the proper term for a device or application that gives you access to a shell prompt in at least some flavors of Unix?