AT&T activating MMS features early for some iPhone users

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Uploading photo's to social sites e.g. FaceBook with notifications sent out to all of your friend's/relatives where they can easily comment which is immediately shared with everyone else in your network of friends/relatives no matter where they are on earth.

Get with the times man, email and MMS are going the way of your grandparents mailing letters.

I wouldn't call the current set of social sites, groundbreaking.
  • Reply 62 of 90
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    No, but as a method of sharing photo's and messages with large groups of people simultaneously the leave old technology like email and MMS in the dust.

There's a whole new generation coming through who view email as old fashioned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I wouldn't call the current set of social sites, groundbreaking.

• Reply 63 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I was forced into the PC world when I grew up and had to use PC's to parse data files which introduced me to wonderful world of VB...

Ah, VB, such a beautiful, elegant language.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's faster than email ,plain and simple. No need to wait for it to travel through servers, etc. It goes right to the phone number. You don't have to compose an email- texting is much more instantaneous. And many don't have access to email as easily as iPhone and smartphone users do- but everyone has a cell phone for receiving MMS!

No it doesn't. http://www.nowsms.com/howmmsworks.htm

The process is very complicated and costly. Messages have to be stored somewhere. Otherwise, your recipients would have to keep their phones on all the time.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

No it doesn't. http://www.nowsms.com/howmmsworks.htm

The process is very complicated and costly. Messages have to be stored somewhere. Otherwise, your recipients would have to keep their phones on all the time.

Email messages also have to be stored until the recipient fetches them. The internet and mail protocols aren't that simple either, yet I don't get an extra fee for each message or a separate charge to get unlimited email.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Define smartphone

I think my iPhone is as much of a computer as any computer, but that's just me

To me, the iPhone is an portable Mac and really is a mini-computer that makes calls. Now, we already have the ability to view and edit word documents and stuff like that. Now, all we need is a scaled down version of iWork! If Microsoft can have WM Office, Apple can produce much better stuff than them! /hint of sarcasm/
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Hmmmmmmm, Good Move by AT&T to negate any pending or expected Lawsuits that would denote the MMS by late Summer deadline. I expect they are opening it up for this purpose since september 25 is early Fall.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexh4 View Post

Hmmmmmmm, Good Move by AT&T to negate any pending or expected Lawsuits that would denote the MMS by late Summer deadline. I expect they are opening it up for this purpose since september 25 is early Fall.

I don't know if a lawsuit would really change things, what is it, being late by three days? People suing over three extra days of being without MMS would be the epitome of lameness.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know if a lawsuit would really change things, what is it, being late by three days? People suing over three extra days of being without MMS would be the epitome of lameness.

Well Its exactly what lame People have time to do. At&t gave a dead line by late summer. LAME people out there will just file a suit to Piss off At&t even more. Eventually they will say we are losing money in lawsuit filings an we can't upgrade our network. MMS wont be here until September 25 2010. lol
  • Reply 70 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Ah, VB, such a beautiful, elegant language.

Hey! vb.net aint bad lol.

Seriously, if you're a new programmer wanting to write software for Windows, vb.net is a great language. There's a lot that can be done, and quite elegantly I might add.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

To me, the iPhone is an portable Mac and really is a mini-computer that makes calls. Now, we already have the ability to view and edit word documents and stuff like that. Now, all we need is a scaled down version of iWork! If Microsoft can have WM Office, Apple can produce much better stuff than them! /hint of sarcasm/

I thought there were a few mobile office-esque apps in the store?

I know what you mean though, it should be standard... but the functionality is still there, if you want it.

Also... on topic... has anyone actually had MMS work for them yet? I still get the hang and fail.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    Quote:

+1. They would most surely lose the lawsuit.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Hey! vb.net aint bad lol.

Seriously, if you're a new programmer wanting to write software for Windows, vb.net is a great language. There's a lot that can be done, and quite elegantly I might add.

VB is nice, the real problem is that it was so easy that barely competent programmers and even non-programmers were using it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

+1. They would most surely lose the lawsuit.

If they do win, what would it be? The case would drag out until 2011 and they would get at best a nickel per day of service or a $5 rebate towards the purchase of the next AT&T phone. There has to be a better use of time.
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:

VB is nice, the real problem is that it was so easy that barely competent programmers and even non-programmers were using it.

Yes, I must admit, it's made me very lazy lol. The next phase of the project I'm on here at work requires all Java, so my easy livin is coming to and end.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by packy17 View Post

I thought there were a few mobile office-esque apps in the store?

I know what you mean though, it should be standard... but the functionality is still there, if you want it.

Also... on topic... has anyone actually had MMS work for them yet? I still get the hang and fail.

Yeah, I've gotten mine to work, tested it out with my girlfriend (AT&T) and with a friend on Verizon both worked.

Word on the nets is that AT&T unlocks your phone at some point, however its just a simple switch on their side nothing you have to load etc. There seems to be no way around this.

I could be wrong, my knowledge of how cell phone networks work is rudimentary at best, all I know is that I had to load some ipcc file reset my phone and voila.

Best of luck

As for the MMS thing, I would highly doubt that ATT is avoiding a lawsuit, its probably just slowly adding everyone on so as to not overburden the network at once, seems like a good idea to me to avoid a network crash.

/Edit

on the other hand the fact that ATT doesnt have faith in their network is disturbing.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    Quote:

Email messages also have to be stored until the recipient fetches them. The internet and mail protocols aren't that simple either, yet I don't get an extra fee for each message or a separate charge to get unlimited email.

But not in the same way. Emails don't require gateways/servers that instant messaging need to immediately open/notify the user the minute the phone is turned on.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Wow at the angry little troll!

Hmm no mms here yet .. basssstards =) Oh well it only makes sense to roll it out slowly, hopefully they will start doing larger and larger chunks and won't have to wait for the 25th.

GO RAIDERS ( yah im a Raider fans ) LOL
  • Reply 78 of 90
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You can send emails to MMS and they can send MMS to email.

Back to this again. It still means you need to know what network your friends are on.

I use email for business and other means of communication (usually texting, but sometimes facebook events or whatever) for personal stuff, in general. I don't know the email addresses of many of my friends, and nor do I want to. To send them a picture, MMS is great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's faster than email ,plain and simple. No need to wait for it to travel through servers, etc. It goes right to the phone number. You don't have to compose an email- texting is much more instantaneous. And many don't have access to email as easily as iPhone and smartphone users do- but everyone has a cell phone for receiving MMS!

This.

Why must this debate go on? Now both MMS and email are on our phones, surely we can all use whichever works best for us and our peers? I'm not going to try and change the culture I'm in to use email for random thoughts, pictures and small notes, but if it does change I'll be ready.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Floppy drives were once used by millions and no one bought a computer without one. Whether you like it or not, MMS will disappear because there is an alternative (email). It is just a matter of time.

You're assuming email is somehow better than MMS.

It's free for non-phone use, which is in its favour, but to anyone on pay-as-you-go then MMS probably work out as cheaper than email on their phone, due to stupid data costs. MMS has the advantage of delivery reports, ease of use (no need to choose what to do with the file, it just gets viewed on your phone screen), speed of sending/delivery, and the fact that I know everyone's phone number but not everyone's email address. People change email addresses more often than phone numbers, too.

If I could only have one of the two, I'd rather have email, I do confess. But having both is so much better than having only one!
  • Reply 79 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

It's free for non-phone use, which is in its favour, but to anyone on pay-as-you-go then MMS probably work out as cheaper than email on their phone.....

But I would assume that only a tiny portion US users are on PAYG? (I wonder if the number is even that much higher abroad, given the nature of the iPhone plans generally). Does anyone have any data on this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

But having both [email and MMS] is so much better than having only one!

I completely agree. However, my concern is, this stuff gets bundled into the argument for the next (inevitable) price increase from ATT....
  • Reply 80 of 90
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You need to expand your thinking to across the borders of the USA

I think you should not me. I can't send MMS to my friends in some parts of the world and vice versa and many carriers around the world still enforce the old 70KB size limit. I know because I lived there.

If want to stay in love with MMS thats up to you. But I really don't like paying for it when I have a free alternative that everyone use. Furthermore, I don't think anyone with time sensitive materials (pictures, docs .. etc) will use MMS instead of email. If I want to send a picture to someone I would use email and they can enjoy it on their smartphone or whenever they use their computers without having to pay for it.