Mac sales grow 7% as Apple projected to sell 2.8M in quarter

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Based on new sales figures from NPD Market Research, Apple is expected to slightly exceed Wall Street's consensus on Mac sales for the September quarter.

In a new note to investors, Gene Munster, senior research analyst with PiperJaffray, said that NPD data for the July and August shows Mac sales up 7 percent year-over-year. This as investors are looking for about a 5 percent improvement.

If the trends shown in the NPD numbers hold, Apple would sell between 2.75 million and 2.8 million Macs in the quarter, about even with Wall Street consensus of 2.75 million. But Munster predicts the numbers will skew higher than expected.

Not faring as well, however, are iPods. Year-over-year sales during July and August were down 16 percent. Munster estimates that Apple will sell between 9.5 million and 10.5 million iPods for the quarter, while the Street is expecting about 10 million.

However, Apple is projected to improve on both Mac and iPod numbers as the quarter comes to a close. The iPod boost in particular will come thanks to new products -- namely, a new iPod nano that debuted at last week's event.

"We are expecting reacceleration in the final month of the quarter given the new iPod nanos that shipped on 9/9," Munster said. "Also, iPod international is growing faster than domestic. In other words, we believe the actual reported numbers for iPod will be slightly better than NPD would suggest."

International growth is also faster for the Mac, as well, which leads Munster to believe that the Mac numbers will also exceed what is implied by NPD retail data. PiperJaffray has maintained a price target of $186 for AAPL stock, and has reiterated its overweight rating.

In its June quarter, Apple sold 2.6 million Macs and 5.2 million iPhones, bringing its year-over-year profits up 15 percent. The company had a record non-holiday quarter, with sales of $8.34 billion.

Last week, Apple announced it has sold over 30 million iPhones to date. Though that number was likely rounded off for the company's media event, it means the hardware maker likely sold over 3.6 million devices so far in the quarter. Munster has predicted that Apple will sell 7 million phones through September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    2.8 million in mac sales ??

Wow not so long ago 900,000 in sales was grandslam material A

Something is going on with apple . A sea change in the whole overall APPLE universe..

In 3 yrs we will look back and marvel at how every missed the APPLE revolution .

WE on going from sales in millions to sales in tens of millions

across the product line .

Go apple !

Time for the NANO phone to be invented

odd thoughts from 47th st nyc

peace

• Reply 2 of 32
    Unbelievable strategy execution, in a tough economic environment!
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Something is going on with apple . A sea change in the whole overall APPLE universe..

In 3 yrs we will look back and marvel at how every missed the APPLE revolution .

Go apple !

peace

the apple revolution has been going on for a while, just has taken, and is taking, time. much time..
  • Reply 4 of 32
    I just got a Unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro the week before last. 8GB DRAM, 500GB@7200 RPM, and Antiglare. Of all my Macs over the years, it is by far the finest, most well made Mac I've ever owned. Glad to add to the bottom line.

Now I just have to get used to CDs and DVDs ejecting from the side instead of the front. I'm converting the Beatles box sets to Apple Lossless and keep reaching to the front. LOL!
  • Reply 5 of 32
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Go apple !

peace

Did you check out the new Nano yet?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    No surprise here.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

the apple revolution has been going on for a while, just has taken, and is taking, time. much time..

Heh! Apple is like the worm within the apple.

All you see for a long time is that little hole it chewed to get in, but after a while, the entire apple collapses as the worm eats its way through.

The PC industry is like that apple. We don't see much happening, but then we look closer, and Apple is chewing its way through
  • Reply 8 of 32
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Heh! Apple is like the worm within the apple.

All you see for a long time is that little hole it chewed to get in, but after a while, the entire apple collapses as the worm eats its way through.

The PC industry is like that apple. We don't see much happening, but then we look closer, and Apple is chewing its way through

Not much happening in the PC industry?

Haven't you seen all the articles about October 22nd?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    I'm going to one of the Apple stores with my daughter who is home for a week before she starts her fall semester in England, to buy a 15" Mac Pro for her. At first, she though she would need a 24" iMac for her photographic work there, as she's a photo major, but now she knows that the first year is a Foundation year, so she can get along with a laptop. Too bad we'll be buying one a couple of months before the new series comes out (or at least I think it will be later this year).
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not much happening in the PC industry?

Haven't you seen all the articles about October 22nd?

I'm talking about Apple's increasing marketshare, and its now 91% sales in the $1,000 and above category, up from 66% last year.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    All of this success has been enraging the "Apple SUCKS" crowd for years now. When the inevitable pause in growth finally does happen at some point in the future we will see the knives come out like never before. In the meantime, however, I enjoy watching the egg drip on the faces of all the marketing "experts" here and on other forums that constantly spout off about how they know how to run Apple better then the current exectutive team, about how they know what products and features Apple should be releasing to be successful. It's hilarious, really.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I sold my 3yo 2.0 GHz 15" MBP (for $850 I might add....try to get that for a 3yo Dell) to buy a new 2.8 GHz 17" MBP. I've been do web design and I'm doing more photography. I needed the bigger display for working on site and when I tether the camera or edit images in the field.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I just got a Unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro the week before last. 8GB DRAM, 500GB@7200 RPM, and Antiglare. Of all my Macs over the years, it is by far the finest, most well made Mac I've ever owned. Glad to add to the bottom line.

Now I just have to get used to CDs and DVDs ejecting from the side instead of the front. I'm converting the Beatles box sets to Apple Lossless and keep reaching to the front. LOL!

Apple Stores = brilliant concept, executed during the last downturn/tech bubble.

Gotta give Apple credit here, expanding during economic contractions.

Stock has more than DOUBLED from 6 months ago...

Beatles CDs - yeah, right? Who needs Beatles in the iTunes Store when you can just rip the ones you have? p.s. great machine you got there, serious dough has just been dropped.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

I'm converting the Beatles box sets to Apple Lossless and keep reaching to the front. LOL!

I did mine this weekend. 29 discs takes awhile, but it's worth it.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Apple Stores = brilliant concept, executed during the last downturn/tech bubble.

Gotta give Apple credit here, expanding during economic contractions.

I was at the Pentagon City Apple store a few weeks ago to buy my first iPhone. The store is a wonder. It's small, smaller than an old-school Radio Shack store, but it was packed with people and basically minting money. The orange-t-shirted "consierge" intercepted people when they came in and helped direct them to the right place/person ("You're getting a phone, ok wait here one second, while I call someone over. Laptop? That person on there will help you. [into mic]: Kate, I have someone one coming to see you about a MacBook.") It was very, very impressive.

When Apple started the store people "what does Apple know about retail?" When they introduced the iPod: "what does Apple know about consumer electronics?" When they rolled out the iPhone: "what does a computer company know about about mobile phones?" Apple is _not_ a computer company. It is company that has incredible management and executes exceptionally well. That is not the result of Steve Jobs the pitchman who can sell ice to Eskimos. It's is Steve Jobs the inspirational CEO. Case in point: name another movie studio that has the literally perfect record of critically acclaimed box office hits that Pixar has. It's not a coincidence.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

All of this success has been enraging the "Apple SUCKS" crowd for years now. When the inevitable pause in growth finally does happen at some point in the future we will see the knives come out like never before. In the meantime, however, I enjoy watching the egg drip on the faces of all the marketing "experts" here and on other forums that constantly spout off about how they know how to run Apple better then the current exectutive team, about how they know what products and features Apple should be releasing to be successful. It's hilarious, really.

Quoted for truth.

In my experience I'm watching person after person from the "Apple sucks" crowd turn into the "They're actually alright, I think I'll buy a touch... or a MacBook Pro" crowd. the "conversion" rate is a number that is just as mind blowing as an Apple quarterly statement.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

YES But finally the great un washed masses are ready to go apple in a big way .
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Lossless ??? You still lose %50 try AIFF for exact FILES FROM CD TO DESKTOP > TO ITUNES .

I just played Abbey ROAD and i feel like i am hearing it for the first time.. excellent ..

mono or stereo ??
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm talking about Apple's increasing marketshare, and its now 91% sales in the $1,000 and above category, up from 66% last year.

Those numbers are so impressive that I think Apple will have to rely on increased sales in other countries for growth and/or, most likely, have to further diversify the Mac line more. Now that the 13" is a MBP, perhaps we'll see a revamped MacBook, sans Pro, line that is at least 13" and 15.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Did you check out the new Nano yet?

Oddly somehow i just lost my old one so yes i will be buying a nano soon

brushed silver

but the 64 g itouch looms large