AT&T activating MMS features early for some iPhone users

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But I would assume that only a tiny portion US users are on PAYG? (I wonder if the number is even that much higher abroad, given the nature of the iPhone plans generally). Does anyone have any data on this?

I completely agree. However, my concern is, this stuff gets bundled into the argument for the next (inevitable) price increase from ATT....

It will be a free feature if you have a text plan according to AT&T, CNET article link from June 15th.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10264504-233.html
  • Reply 82 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow you are in an angry mood!

Geez, ya think?

I find it most amusing that they have called others out for their so-called "arrogance."

• Reply 83 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Who left the troll gate open again?

Sorry. I was multi-tasking, play Gears of War 2 and checking out AppleInsider at the same time. One must have slipped through the dimensional shift.
  • Reply 84 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

By the way, what is smartphone? technically.

an iPhone that has been jailbroken to run background apps, flash, teethering and such?

Grin

Not sure, just asking.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    Quote:

Multitasking is not 2009 feature. Many older smartphones did multitask. As many said before the iPhone does multitask but not for third party apps. For example, I can use Nike+, listen to my music, and browse using Safari or use any third party app if I want to all at the same time.

yes but without backgrounder, for jail broken phones only, try streaming a radio station, and surf the web. I do it all the time. Thus the jail break and I'm an AT&T customer.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

If want to stay in love with MMS thats up to you. But I really don't like paying for it when I have a free alternative that everyone use. Furthermore, I don't think anyone with time sensitive materials (pictures, docs .. etc) will use MMS instead of email. If I want to send a picture to someone I would use email and they can enjoy it on their smartphone or whenever they use their computers without having to pay for it.

Paying for it? You should only be paying for it if you are sending one, like what occurs for everyone outside the USA. But to receive an email message on their smart phone would use some of their data allowance, which varies greatly around the world (ie could cost you).
  • Reply 87 of 90
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But I would assume that only a tiny portion US users are on PAYG? (I wonder if the number is even that much higher abroad, given the nature of the iPhone plans generally). Does anyone have any data on this?

PAYG use for iPhones will be really small. I was meaning phones in general though, where PAYG outnumbers contract use many times (in the UK at least).

Amorya
  • Reply 88 of 90
    @NonVendorFan

Why does a 'computer' have to be a word processor? First and foremost, Andriod DOES have the fart apps. You've lost all credibility right here. You may be 45, but you are obviously too stupid to do a google search... You know, that one thing, Google? G-O-O-... I've probably lost you, right?

Fart apps right here:

http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-r...fart-apps.aspx

Secondly, the iPhone DOES do word processing, and they even have a custom keyboard for it.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/press...-software/709/

Lastly, What does software have to do with the definition of a computer? A computer doesn't have to reference software. A computer is hardware. Thats like saying a smartphone HAS to have fart apps. Thats completely opinion. If I wiped the harddrive on my PC, would that make it not a computer? It sure couldn't do any wordprocessing. What if I put linux on it? Does that suddenly make it a computer again? You make no sense.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    People are visibly incapable of understanding what iPhone is. They are hopelessly confined in the realm of ideas of traditional smart-phones.

What computers used to do (text processing, for one) should be reviewed, and the way, that a phone does all that, should be somehow deviated from how computers do it to make it efficient on a phone.

Only keynoting fits the use case naturally, nothing else.
  • Reply 90 of 90
    You have to understand usability. There is no purpose to a feature if it is difficult to figure out and rarely used. Apple leaves out features until they can provide it in a way that is easy and elegant to use.

As far as Android, the iPhone has been far more successful in every way.

I had switched to a Google G1 "Dream" phone for a month. I felt like writing about it.

I give up. I thought it'd be fun to see what life was like on a different platform but I think I've seen more than enough on this hardware. The device is definitely too slow to get anything done and I have found myself not going to the phone when in a situation where I used to check my mail and catch up on Twitter. I stood in line at the ATM and just didn't bother.

android g1 and day 7

Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Leaving the rest of your posts aside, I have to agree with this line. Lack of data sharing between applications, lack of copy & paste (prior to 3.0) are just unbelievable. You would think Apple could take a leaf of out Android's ContentProviders and ContentResolvers to implement secure data sharing. At some point in time, they will have to put in malware protection, I don't see the fun in postponing eventuality.