10.2.4 is here!

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>

Do you normally keep your machine on all the time? I wonder whether the huge amounts of initial pageins is due to a restart after the 10.2.4 installation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey - thought I'd tag this here instead of the other thread about PB performance:

Mach Virtual Memory Statistics: (page size of 4096 bytes)

Pages free: 103792.

Pages active: 26617.

Pages inactive: 51352.

Pages wired down: 14847.

"Translation faults": 2946126.

Pages copy-on-write: 44189.

Pages zero filled: 1409205.

Pages reactivated: 0.

Pageins: 9994.

Pageouts: 13.

Object cache: 14121 hits of 25426 lookups (55% hit rate)

This is on my PB G4 867 with only Safari running. I have 768 MB of memory on this machine -- why the heck are the 9994 pageins? Where is it transferring memory from? Does Safari really require that much?
  • Reply 62 of 73
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by fred_lj:

<strong>

This is on my PB G4 867 with only Safari running. I have 768 MB of memory on this machine -- why the heck are the 9994 pageins? Where is it transferring memory from? Does Safari really require that much?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think paging also applies to the OS itself, and the figure also includes applications that have been used previously.

Because virtual memory can't suddenly be switched on when needed and is therefore on all the time (or if switched on in OS 9 it requires a reboot), I think a large number of initial pageins is normal. The pageout figure is the important one.

The pages of memory are being transferred to and from your hard disk.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 63 of 73
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yea I hope there's a 10.2.5!

?Battery life.

?DVD playing on PBG4 12"ers stutters in full screen.

?I might need to install Cisco VPN client, what's the deal with that? A new version came out today.

?Date bug apparently with G4 towers (I haven't seen this on my PB)

PhysMem: 62.7M wired, 248M active, 83.5M inactive, 395M used, 245M free

VM: 1.88G + 70.0M 19828(0) pageins, 4379(0) pageouts

?I've been up for a few days. Why is 10.2.4 using Virtual Memory when I have 640 megs of RAM?
  • Reply 64 of 73
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    That's not many pageouts at all for 3+ days of uptime. I wouldn't worry about it. 640 MB isn't that much if you're doing some heavy lifting.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i've checked. with NOTHING running, my machine is using over 800MB of RAM now.

****ers!!!

and check this out

0 kernel_tas 0.7% 2:22.99 30 0 - - - 74.3M 629M

there's 630 of it right there. this is stupid.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Have you booted from CD and run Disk Utility lately?
  • Reply 67 of 73
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>0 kernel_tas 0.7% 2:22.99 30 0 - - - 74.3M 629M

there's 630 of it right there. this is stupid.</strong><hr></blockquote>That 629M is the *virtual* size of memory the kernel has been allocated for use, NOT how much memory it is actually currently using. The amount of *actual* memory it is using is the resident physical memory size or what is under the "RSIZE" column of top.

Important note: The RSIZE value also includes any amount of memory that the selected process also shares with other processes. So, it may therefore seem larger than you would expect.

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 68 of 73
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>PhysMem: 62.7M wired, 248M active, 83.5M inactive, 395M used, 245M free

VM: 1.88G + 70.0M 19828(0) pageins, 4379(0) pageouts

?I've been up for a few days. Why is 10.2.4 using Virtual Memory when I have 640 megs of RAM?</strong><hr></blockquote>I think you're a little confused about the memory statistics here.

The number outside the parenthesis is the cumulative number of pages since the machine was last rebooted. The number to be concerned about is in the parenthesis. If you see it above 0, then it is currently accessing pages. If it stays above 0 for an extended period, then you'll definitely start getting some disk thrashing as it pages to disk. Since it is at 0 here, then it is not currently accessing and pages from the disk. No worries there.

Also, remember that each of these pages is only 4K of memory. Do the math. A few thousand pages isn't really a heck of a lot of memory.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i'm working in a different studio at the moment, which is deathly quiet, and i've noticed that since installing 10.2.4 the fan on my powerbook is nearly always on...

that combined with my battery indicator dropping almost a percentage point per minute leaves me very annoyed!

• Reply 70 of 73
    yeah, i know the number in () is what matters, but until 10.2.4, both number would be zero, even after running for weeks.

about the memory thing, i've got some little util running that shows mememory usage, network activity, CPU usage and the like. it's showing that when doing nothing, my machine is often using 800+ megs of ram. when i did a top that was the only thing i could see that would account for such a huge number, although maybe it was actually being used somewhere else.

since yesterday (or two days ago) my numbers are now

26316(0) pageins, 141651(0) pageouts

that's a ****ing joke with a GB of ram. i'm not doing anything that complicated, it shouldn't even be touching the HD for pages.

edit: oh yeah, and here are the uptime stats to match

9:36AM up 18:47, 2 users, load averages: 0.34, 0.34, 0.25

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 71 of 73
    hey, just got this from the apple boards, so far so good. the following steps dropped the base RAM usage from 800+ megs to 250.

Restart the machine.

hold down: Command+Option+o+f

at the prompt type

reset-NVRAM

hit return

Type: reset-all

hit return

i also reset the pram. Command+Option+p+r
  • Reply 72 of 73
    What info will we lose when we reset NVRAM and PRAM? I read some OS 9 control used to use PRAM...
  • Reply 73 of 73
    OK I'm doing that I hope something doesn't go wrong because for the most part I haven't had any severe problems, just weird glitches here and there like DVD lagging.