Apple to open retail store in U.S. hedge fund capital

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has begun construction of a new retail store along the upscale Greenwich Avenue in Connecticut, and AppleInsider has exclusive photos of the new location.

The classy, pricey destination is home to many shops and restaurants, and Apple intends to join their ranks in the near future. Photos provided to AppleInsider show that a location at 356 Greenwich Ave. is currently under construction.

Crates spotted outside the location by reader José Cerritelli bear Apple's name, as well as that of Kikukawa, maker of stainless steel panels used in Apple Retail Stores. Similar crates can be found at other stores under construction.

The boxes were stacked in front of an older brick building along Greenwich Avenue, next to Rinfret Home & Garden.

Greenwich is a small town well-known for being home to a large number of investment hedge funds. Its estimated population as of 2002 was 61,784.

There are currently three Apple Retail Stores in Connecticut: in Danbury, at the Danbury Fair Mall; in Farmington, at Westfarms Mall; and at the Stamford Town Center in Stamford.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    That opening is close enough for me to go to... Maybe I'll finally get a Grand Opening T-Shirt
  • Reply 2 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 15inchbrich View Post

That opening is close enough for me to go to... Maybe I'll finally get a Grand Opening T-Shirt

I am so jealous - I want one in Sarasota Florida!
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kikukaka, maker of stainless steel panels used in Apple Retail Stores.

An examination of the photos show that it is Kikukawa. Kikukaka is what Microsoft Stores will be made out of. Sorry, couldn't resist. Apologies to Microsoft fanboys who have been flocking to these boards of late.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Wow, surreal.

I just had to register an account....

I live in Greenwich...I've driven past that location a few times. It used to be a Movie Theater but unfortunately went out of business...or fortunately...depending who you ask.

If anyone wants to meet there on opening day I'd be down.

What a small world lol.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Go Apple!

We need so many more stores. They're often overcrowded, and Genius waiting times on average are two-three days out here in the Portland area. I've began using a local reseller again, because of the lack of less waiting time. Portland has three stores.

Enjoy the store locals!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve's son View Post

Go Apple!

We need so many more stores. They're often overcrowded, and Genius waiting times on average are two-three days out here in the Portland area. I've began using a local reseller again, because of the lack of less waiting time. Portland has three stores.

Enjoy the store locals!

There will come a time where they will not be beneficial to the shareholders.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Its estimated population as of 2002 was 61,784.

phew. thank god. i was afraid the article wouldn't mention the town's population from seven years ago. do you have the month and day that estimate was calculated?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Greenwich Ave is about a 15 minute drive from the Stamford Town Center. Maybe they'll put one in every CT town?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Wow - those are really exclusive pictures! How did AI get access? Maybe if someone brings an iPhone to opening day we can see some exclusive shots from the inside.

Still, looks like it will be another impressive looking retail store.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Wow - those are really exclusive pictures! How did AI get access?

Access to what? The pictures are of the outside from the public street.

Somebody drove by and saw what was written on the outside of the crates and knew what it meant and sent it in to AI.

Quote:

Maybe if someone brings an iPhone to opening day we can see some exclusive shots from the inside.

That would be nice, most likely it will look like all the other Apple stores. I predict this one gets a glass staircase, the building looks like it can handle two stories easy.

Quote:

Still, looks like it will be another impressive looking retail store.

Especially since it seems to jut out further towards the street than the other stores next to it.

Yes it will be impressive.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quantolf View Post

Wow, surreal.

I just had to register an account....

I live in Greenwich...I've driven past that location a few times. It used to be a Movie Theater but unfortunately went out of business...or fortunately...depending who you ask.

If anyone wants to meet there on opening day I'd be down.

What a small world lol.

ok lets meet please wear a red carnation and sneakers / ok
  • Reply 12 of 19
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Greenwich Ave is about a 15 minute drive from the Stamford Town Center. Maybe they'll put one in every CT town?

stamford is a million miles away from greenwich. It is snob central . And bored rich housewives will go there to endlessly look at the wares . and its off i-95 so the whole long coast now has quick access to apple stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    This is old news, at least 2 months. Apple has been advertising jobs there even on it's own site.

More puzzling though is why is Apple opening 15 minutes from the great Stamford store?

Stamford is in a very well trafficked mall with good parking. Greenwich Avenue is tough, very tough parking..and they don't allow limos to double park either. It is the only street I know of anywhere that has two, yes 2, gloved traffic officers rather than stop lights. And it's also wildly expensive commercial space even in this market.

Odd, to say the least.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

More puzzling though is why is Apple opening 15 minutes from the great Stamford store?...

It is simple really:

1) the people of Greenwich have money to spend, lots of it.

2) the people of Greenwich view the Stamford Mall as a downscale shopping area (even though the general public views it as upscale).

3) Apple feels it can be profitable at the Greenwich location.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    It appears to me to be an old fire station....cool.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

Greenwich Avenue is tough, very tough parking..and they don't allow limos to double park either. It is the only street I know of anywhere that has two, yes 2, gloved traffic officers rather than stop lights. And it's also wildly expensive commercial space even in this market.

Odd, to say the least.

Except for the gloved traffic officers, you could say the same about University Avenue in Palo Alto, site of the first Apple commercial retail store (they've had one on Infinite Loop open to the public since day one there).
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I used to enjoy the old movie theater when I worked in Greenwich years ago. I was very disappointed when it closed its doors. The multiplex down by the train station near the pistol range has no character. Very glad to see the theater become a new Apple store though :-) I imagine Apple will make great use of the space!

All of you forgot to mention how close the Apple store at the Westchester is - White Plains is only 15 minutes from Greenwich as well. White Plains is another store that is always packed.

As far as expensive real estate goes, it makes no difference for an Apple store - the data shows that the Fifth ave location in Manhattan has very high rent, yet manages to do tremendous business - more sales per square foot than most other retailers in the area, and the most of any Apple store nation wide at one point I believe. While prices in Greenwich were certainly high, I am sure Apple got a good deal on the theatre - its been empty for years, a real eye sore, and there are several other empty store fronts on the Avenue - Greenwich was hit by this recent down turn in some respects.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    i been down there a few times even today , from what the guys on the site are saying it will be opening just before thanks giving , something to be thankful for. also looked like a lot of metal and lighting on the walls, maybe next time im there ill try to get a snap shot from the side walk looking in. as i wasn't the only one today..
  • Reply 19 of 19
    This is very big news, but it didn't got much coverage, TY for sharing anyways.

[right]Simple interest calculator calculation rates mortgage compound high interest savings account[/right]