Tablet Tuesday: Lenovo, Fujitsu, Archos unveil touchscreens

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As rumors of Apple's still-unannounced tablet device continue to swirl, the impending launch of Windows 7 has led to a plethora of touchscreen devices that look to beat Apple's anticipated device to market.

In addition to Windows-based systems from Lenovo and Fujitsu, one Android-based Internet tablet from Archos was unveiled Tuesday. Combined with a fresh Apple tablet rumor that priced the anticipated device at $800 to $1,000, it was a noteworthy day for those interested in touchscreen computing.

But with all the buzz surrounding them, tablet computers have yet to take off. With this week's announcements, it seems that hardware makers hope that Windows 7 and Android can help change that this fall -- at least before Apple steps into the game in early 2010, as is expected.

Lenovo brings four-finger input

Lenovo announced two products Tuesday: the new T400s, a touchscreen device with four-finger multitouch, and an update to the existing X200, a tablet that now has an outdoor screen optimized option.

The T400s, starting at $1,999, sports an Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB of cache, at speed of 2.4GHz or 2.53GHz. While not a convertible tablet, the device's 6-cell battery reportedly provides 5.5 hours of run time.

The four-finger touch, according to PC World, enables users to manipulate objects with even greater precision. An example of working with images in engineering and design applications was used.

The new X200 will also support multi-touch, but only for two fingers. It starts at $1,654. Both systems gain multitouch functionality for an additional $250.

Both computers feature SimpleTap, a proprietary user interface that Lenovo has created to allow finger-friendly capabilities within Windows 7. Buttons will appear to allow users to change screen brightness or speaker volume, and visit Web sites.

Fujitsu tablet is finger and pen friendly

The newly announced Fujitsu LifeBook T5010 is an upgrade as well, one that according to PC Magazine will cost users $100 extra for multitouch capabilities. The single-touch model starts at $1,759.

It features a 13.3-inch screen, and supports gesture controls for rotating, zooming, and flicking. It also supports stylus input. The system will initially ship with Windows Vista.

Archos looks to Android for its Internet Tablet

On the smaller side, the Archos 5 Internet Tablet is more of a competitor to the iPod touch and iPhone than the latest Fujitsu and Lenovo keyboard-toting laptops. Revealed Tuesday, the device has a 4.8-inch 800x480 pixel screen that can play HD video in both WMV and H.264 formats.

The big selling point is the system's operating system, relying on a variant of Google's Android to power the portable media player.

According to Engadget, the device also can be docked and paired with a any bluetooth keyboard and mouse, allowing the user to surf the Web on their TV. The hardware is now available, with prices ranging from $250 to $440.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Based on those photo's, Apple products looks like something from the 23rd century. I'll pass and wait for Apple to make a move...
  • Reply 2 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If anyone finds an extensive review of the Archos 5 would you please post the link here?
  • Reply 3 of 75
    if Apple nails the tablet, and Apple TV ever opens up, I wonder what's next? Reinvent laptops & desktops? They've been moving slowly up the food chain for pioneering or revolutionizing hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As rumors of Apple's still-unannounced tablet device continue to swirl, the impending launch of Windows 7 has led to a plethora of touchscreen devices that look to beat Apple's anticipated device to market....

Tablet Tuesday?

That's a really misleading headline considering out of the three devices pictures only one is actually a tablet. The other two are those things known as "laptops." You may have heard of them.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Tablet Tuesday?

That's a really misleading headline considering out of the three devices pictures only one is actually a tablet. The other two are those things known as "laptops." You may have heard of them.

• Reply 6 of 75
    I'd love to see an iPod touch with a screen the size (or 6") and similar resolution of the Archos.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Tablet Tuesday?

Laptops!? You mean Netbooks! Aren't those up to 17" screens and about 8 lbs by now?

Same thought though - how can anyone call those beasts 'tablets'? I mean, anyone outside of Lenovo/Fujitsu marketing anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Laptops!? You mean Netbooks! Aren't those up to 17" screens and about 8 lbs by now?

Same thought though - how can anyone call those beasts 'tablets'? I mean, anyone outside of Lenovo/Fujitsu marketing anyway.

Those are the kind of tablets that only a geezer like Moses could love. Except these plastic slabs look to be a lot less useful.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Those are the kind of tablets that only a geezer like Moses could love. Except these plastic slabs look to be a lot less useful.

I think you're all onto something...I can picture Steve putting up pics at a keynote of those 1st gen "tablets," to the sound of a laughing audience. Perhaps in a pic next to a rubik's cube?
  • Reply 10 of 75
    For me, thinkpad has always looked attractive.

That Fujitsu thing looks bulky and cheap.

The Archos...look at those icons?!?!?

Interesting Article on Apple and rounded corners:

http://www.uiandus.com/2009/07/27/th...ed-rectangles/
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I'd love to see an iPod touch with a screen the size (or 6") and similar resolution of the Archos.

Then you'll probably enjoy the fact that a phone is being introduced by Archos that is the follow up to the tablet.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/a...chscreen-1ghz/

Which will ship the the with latest Android Donut that takes care of support for GSM & CDMA networks and also takes care of different screen resolution & device screen sizes.

Android Donut 1.6 SDK shipped today.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/a...rly-as-october

I keep saying to all the Apple FanBoys that hate Microsoft they are not your competitor. Google continues gain market share touching every part of Apple's product line.

The link also has a link within for the Anroid Tablet.

We'll probably see an Anroid Home Media Center before the next AppleTV update.

Edit. By the way... Google shipped Chrome 3.0 today with some mighty high goals.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ource=rss_news
  • Reply 12 of 75
    The article should mention the Archos has 500GB of storage...
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

The article should mention the Archos has 500GB of storage...

The article link I posted does.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    Quote:

Wow.. Very nice improvements in Android 1.6 - a minor release. (Universal search on device and internet, universal translator with speech synthesis, highly accurate cloud-based speech recognition for search on device and internet and issuing command to apps with API - all from single universal console)

Looks like Android could do with the speed of the Cortex A8. The demo in that video is on a ARM11 device and it was a little laggy.

Apple doesn't have the ability to compete with all these things in the short term as they are services based on Google's years of statistical analysis and data collection. Yet they have banned Google from bringing two of their Apps to the iPhone. What if Google no longer continues to develop their bundled Youtube and Maps applications anymore?

I'd like to see Google as the premier platform for Google's services - which Google was happy to provide. Apple's strong message to Google that there Apps are no longer welcome on the platform isn't a smart decision in the absence of alternatives.

Android 2.0 "Eclair" is due to be released in Jan/Feb - it's meant to be a big update.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Wow.. Very nice improvements in Android 1.6. (Universal search on device and internet, universal translator with speech synthesis, universal speech recognition)

Looks like Android could do with the speed of the Cortex A8. The demo in that video is on a ARM11 device and it was a little laggy.

Apple doesn't have the ability to compete with all these things in the short term as they are services based on Google's years of statistical analysis and data collection. Yet they have banned Google from bringing two of their Apps to the iPhone. What if Google no longer continues to develop their bundled Youtube and Maps applications anymore?

I'd like to see Google as the premier platform for Google's services - which Google was happy to provide. Apple's strong message to Google that there Apps are no longer welcome on the platform isn't a smart decision in the absence of alternatives.

Android 2.0 "Eclair" is due to be released in Jan/Feb - it's meant to be a big update.

But the advantage goes to Google because "like Microsoft on the desktop" they are on being pumped out on every vendors list of what is the new Hardware can we put Android on today that will push it even further.

And yes, I'm waiting to see if 2.0 is going to be the huge upgrade that it's been rumored.

It would be be interesting to see if Google pulls their Apps from Apple in the same manor Apple is trying to block the Pre at every point. I'm guessing Google will keep Apple in the party until they aren't needed anymore (a lot like Microsoft did on the desktop in the early 90's).
  • Reply 16 of 75
    Did you guys suddenly change your name to Engadget?

This really isn't Apple news, certainly not Apple Insider worthy.

Just the Apple Facts, Ma'am!
  • Reply 17 of 75
    I don't think we're there yet... but the Archos looks like a pretty cool step along the way!
  • Reply 18 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I don't think we're there yet... but the Archos looks like a pretty cool step along the way!

I'd agree if my next phone was going to be an iPhone. I am out of my contract in 8 months and will be glad to be out of Apple's Grip and Little Box.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

But the advantage goes to Google because "like Microsoft on the desktop" they are on being pumped out on every vendors list of what is the new Hardware can we put Android on today that will push it even further.

And yes, I'm waiting to see if 2.0 is going to be a huge update & it would be interesting to see if Google pulls their Apps from Apple in the same manor Apple is trying to block the Pre at every point. I'm guessing Google will keep Apple in the party until they aren't needed anymore (a lot like Microsoft did on the desktop in the early 90's).

As it has been pointed out to you, open source does not make for a guaranteed winner because it can potentially go on any HW. Marketshare means nothing in business without profits to back it up.

Why exactly would Google pull their apps? Are they also going to make their web apps not work with Mac browsers? Even you have to realize that it?s very foolish thing to say, but perhaps not when you think that the Pre violating their USB contracts to trick iTunes is somehow relevant to anything that is being discussed and when you ignore that Apple has not actually changed WebKit so that WebOS becomes dead in the water or litigates for pouching employees to create tech that seems to be right off Apple?s shelf.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As it has been pointed out to you, open source does not make for a guaranteed winner because it can potentially go on any HW. Marketshare means nothing in business without profits to back it up.

Why exactly would Google pull their apps? Are they also going to make their web apps not work with Mac browsers? Even you have to realize that it’s very foolish thing to say, but perhaps not when you think that the Pre violating their USB contracts to trick iTunes is somehow relevant to anything that is being discussed and when you ignore that Apple has not actually changed WebKit so that WebOS becomes dead in the water or litigates for pouching employees to create tech that seems to be right off Apple’s shelf.

Market Share for Android means less for Apple. Like the early 90's and countless hardware vendors wanting Microsoft on the desktop you're seeing it all over with Android.

Google doesn't license all of their OS's for Free. It's based on the carrier and what functions of Android they want to use. Free for some but most pay royalties on every device sold (sound familiar?). Do your own research next time.

Why would Google pull their Apps from Apple? Why would Apple reject Google's Apps that were free? Go figure. It is business after all.