Apple predicted to release new iMacs, MacBooks in weeks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new report alleges that Apple intends to release new iMacs and MacBooks very soon -- in a matter of weeks -- to refresh its lineup before the holiday season.

Financial publication Barron's said a new report from Wedge Partners claims that Apple will introduce new hardware "in the next several weeks."

The report said that the new iMacs will sport a thinner design with smooth edges. However, the MacBook refresh is said to be "limited."

Also on tap, according to Wedge Partners, are likely price cuts. The company sees the lower prices as a competitive alternative to Windows 7 machines. Wedge Partners predicts that Apple will sell 3 million Macs in the holiday season, riding the wave of price cuts and new products.

More affordable Macs have been rumored for some time. In June, cuts of $100 to $300 were enacted on the 13- to 17-inch unibody aluminum notebooks, which have all been classified as MacBook Pros.

For comparison, in the June quarter, Apple sold 2.6 million Macs, a 4 percent year-over-year increase, and the best-ever June quarter. This quarter, Apple is predicted to sell 2.8 million total Macs.

While new hardware should come as no surprise, AppleInsider has previously heard word of new iMacs and MacBooks. Last month rumors surfaced that the new Imacs would have compelling new features, one of which was said to have long been on Mac users' wish lists, and another that would appeal to the semi-professional audio/video crowd.

AppleInsider also received word that Apple would retain and redesign its line of plastic MacBooks. With only one non-Pro offering in the lineup, Apple is allegedly redesigning the systems with a slimmer, lighter enclosure and restructured internal architecture. Analysts have long believed that cracking the sub-$1,000 notebook market would be a huge boon for Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 380
    iMac thinner? Its thinness already causes problems and they want to make it thinner. Right, Ive. The computer is secondary to the case.
  • Reply 2 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

iMac thinner? Its thinness already causes problems and they want to make it thinner. Right, Ive. The computer is secondary to the case.

I don't know of any widespread problems caused by thinness.

If they can manage it, it should indeed be thinner, lighter, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 380
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Perhaps the original post was referring to the engineering challenges of packing all the components into a small space - especially when it comes to keeping everything cool - and the balance between the cost of packing everything into the smaller space without compromising structural integrity while keeping the sale price within reason.
  • Reply 4 of 380
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

What are the problems caused by thinness?
  • Reply 5 of 380
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Perhaps the original post was referring to the engineering challenges of packing all the components into a small space - especially when it comes to keeping everything cool - and the balance between the cost of packing everything into the smaller space without compromising structural integrity while keeping the sale price within reason.

Perhaps keeping cool is related to other things. My wife's new model MacBook is way thinner than the previous one she had and it runs almost stone cold, the previous and thicker one was able to fry eggs ...
  • Reply 6 of 380
    Fantastic. I've been holding off buying a current gen iMac because I feared new models would be released within months. I'll be intrigued to see the new design and new features. When will they officially announce them though? I don't know of any Apple events until early next year.
  • Reply 7 of 380
    owlowl Posts: 14member
    Or, instead of making it thinner, they could always just install better components, improve components, ect. I think the iMac is thin enough as it is. Lighter would be nice, though, but not light enough to feel cheap.
  • Reply 8 of 380
    This should be interesting.

Apple is already on track to beat the Street (again), which makes it 19 out of 20 quarters in a row, I think. I wonder whether it'll be record Mac sales, though. Last quarter was quite impressive.

So Apple is set to refresh Macs again. It makes one wonder why a a few people around these parts think Apple have put Macs on the backburner because they care more about iPhones and iPods. It seems to me that Apple is giving each of its key divisions plenty of attention.
  • Reply 9 of 380
    Quote:

Yup, form *rapes* function has been the case for the iMac the past few years. iMac Anorexia is a serious issue! Fight for more curves and voluptuousness... And put in a Radeon 4870 1GB standard. Not going to happen
  • Reply 10 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What are the problems caused by thinness?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

1. No desktop-class non-underclocked Core 2 quadcore

2. No desktop-class non-underclocked Corei7

3. No decent desktop-class graphics eg. normal-clocked Radeon 4850 or 4870

4. No BluRay[?]

Hell, if they can put in a Corei7, Radeon 4850 1GB (NOT UNDERCLOCKED) and a 28" screen with BluRay, and make it thinner, well and good, in fact, it would be bl**dy impressive.

If they make it thinner and not even manage to put a quadcore in there, that would be very naughty in Apple Design excessively favouring form over decent DESKTOP-CLASS function.

Oh, by the way, isn't Apple supposed to eliminate them bad stuff in LCD screens by now? That is, iMacs and MacBooks have to go LED screen by the end of the year...???
  • Reply 11 of 380
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I can't imagine why the iMac needs to be any thinner. What are we supposed to do with all that extra air behind the machine now? Fill it with.... I can't think of anything.

Apple should be making it thicker so they can use proper desktop components. Stick an i7 in there and a real GPU.
  • Reply 12 of 380
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Apple's obsession with thinness is bordering on the pathological. Thinness in a phone is essential. Thinness in a laptop is nice. Thinness in an all-in-one desktop is... not really that important. Being able to run decent CPUs and graphics cards is very, very important. Anorexia is the right term - killing sales in pursuit of losing inches when they are already too thin.

I'd like an all-in-one. I'd like to run OS/X. I like Apple hardware. I'm in the market for a desktop computer. But I'd also like to play a couple of games in Windows (via Bootcamp would be fine) and the iMac is so far behind the curve performance wise it just isn't funny. There are gaming laptops in the wild that destroy it in terms of specs.

Perhaps the people who will be buy it ahead of a PC because of it being yet thinner outweigh the people like me who are very likely to go PC for the performance benefits. But it would surprise me.
  • Reply 13 of 380
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I also hope these come with a keyboard upgrade to make the desktop keyboard on par with the laptop ones, but I'm not holding my breath...
  • Reply 14 of 380
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mahoney View Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Apple's obsession with thinness is bordering on the pathological. Thinness in a phone is essential. Thinness in a laptop is nice. Thinness in an all-in-one desktop is... not really that important. Being able to run decent CPUs and graphics cards is very, very important. Anorexia is the right term - killing sales in pursuit of losing inches when they are already too thin.

I'd like an all-in-one. I'd like to run OS/X. I like Apple hardware. I'm in the market for a desktop computer. But I'd also like to play a couple of games in Windows (via Bootcamp would be fine) and the iMac is so far behind the curve performance wise it just isn't funny. There are gaming laptops in the wild that destroy it in terms of specs.

Perhaps the people who will be buy it ahead of a PC because of it being yet thinner outweigh the people like me who are very likely to go PC for the performance benefits. But it would surprise me.

i thought of a mac mini just because the wife hates "wires" and it would get rid of a lot of them.

the only thing that's keeping me from buying one is the crazy RAM upgrade procedure and a lack of even a laptop GPU in there
  • Reply 15 of 380
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    I wish that Apple Insider would give more thought to the links they put in articles. Some are very mysterious, some are trivial, and though most are substantive they look arbitrary. Following any of them interrupts the article. Perhaps the links could be put at the bottom of the article? I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer to read the article before I puzzle out where the links go or follow the ones I'm interested in.
  • Reply 16 of 380
    It's a desktop computer, who cares how thin and light it is? Your desk is already not being strained by the weight.

It's a conspiracy by the FedEx guy.
  • Reply 17 of 380
    Just to re-itterate the obvious:
    1. Apple (or SJ) believes that the customer does not know in terms of technical details what he or she wants. But the customer can make the choise when there are alternatives.

2. Apple sells the whole package - the user experience as a product from the hardware capabilities, hardware desighn, software in terms of functionality and the user interface.

Examples for 1:

If you ask people to tell what they want from hardware, they may want a silent computer with 8 cores, low price, sleek design. This is not possible, so you need to make compromises. Most manufacturers stress on the hardware features and convince the customers that that's what they want. Apple tries to find the best compromise. As far as sales figures and customer satisfaction rates show, they are pretty good at that. Once you use an iMac, you will hate those noisy 4-core PC in your bedroom you thought (or the salesman said) is superior.

Regarding 2:

Apple aligns it's hardware with the software developments. They want to push USB - they make the software and the hardware appropriately. They want to push video chat - they add camera to all macs and develop iChat video feature. They are also able to speed up their computers without upgrading the hardware.

I was not happy with all decisions made by Apple (e.g. glossy screens only)and will not buy every product released by Apple but in general I trust them and believe they will make a good compromise.
  • Reply 18 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yup, form *rapes* function has been the case for the iMac the past few years. iMac Anorexia is a serious issue! Fight for more curves and voluptuousness... And put in a Radeon 4870 1GB standard. Not going to happen

Its gone from a reliable machine using desktop CPUs that was easily upgradable to one that has heat issues with laptop cpus and even the Apple technicians despise working on them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Examples for 1:

If you ask people to tell what they want from hardware, they may want a silent computer with 8 cores, low price, sleek design. This is not possible, so you need to make compromises. Most manufacturers stress on the hardware features and convince the customers that that's what they want. Apple tries to find the best compromise. As far as sales figures and customer satisfaction rates show, they are pretty good at that. Once you use an iMac, you will hate those noisy 4-core PC in your bedroom you thought (or the salesman said) is superior.

If lackluster and unreliable is the best compromise they can do, they need to hire some new people. Over the last two years, mine has been a great salesmen for those noisy quad cores.
  • Reply 19 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It's a desktop computer, who cares how thin and light it is? Your desk is already not being strained by the weight.

It's a conspiracy by the FedEx guy.

I don't care at work.

I do care at home.

I was long-time believer that the tower form-factor is the best (performance, flexibility, you name it) and was kind of "forced" to buy an iMac. I wanted Mac OS and the towers are way too expensive. Now I like the iMac and hate the cables at work.

I understand that sometimes you may have reasons to want a [not-so-expensive] tower but if Apple releases one so many people will never know how good the All-in-one design generally is.
  • Reply 20 of 380
    Quote:

If lackluster and unreliable is the best compromise they can do, they need to hire some new people. Over the last two years, mine has been a great salesmen for those noisy quad cores.

Check out Apple performance agains the rest of the industry and you will find out that you are an exception, not the rule. Also check out the customer satisfaction rates.