When can we expect a new iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know there's discussion / news about new features of the next iMac to come out, but is there any kind of information indicating WHEN it will be released?

If you have a time period based on speculation(i.e. oct/nov of this year), please state what makes you think so.

If you have any kind of legit resource stating a time period or a date, please cite that with a link.

I don't mean to seem overly particular but I feel it helps in forums to state sources to avoid hearsay.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkswb View Post

I know there's discussion / news about new features of the next iMac to come out, but is there any kind of information indicating WHEN it will be released?

If you have a time period based on speculation(i.e. oct/nov of this year), please state what makes you think so.

If you have any kind of legit resource stating a time period or a date, please cite that with a link.

I don't mean to seem overly particular but I feel it helps in forums to state sources to avoid hearsay.

Thanks!!!

it would ne nice to have definitive info but this is "Future Hardware" and thus all speculation. The only way to avoid hearsay is to listen to Apple and they are not likely to spill the beans.

I do know one thing the new iMacs are coming at some future date. Frankly any thing more than that is total speculation.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 20
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Well, this is a rumor site after all. Anyway, if statistics based on previous updates makes sense to you, there is always Mac Buyer's Guide.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Thanks!!!

I'm guessing 2010 January-Febuary for a design and slight hardware refresh.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

I'm guessing 2010 January-Febuary for a design and slight hardware refresh.

I would hope it would be more than a slight hardware refresh, as the iMac stands out like a sore thumb due to it's incredibly outdated internals. No quad core i7? No blu-ray option? It's simply mind boggling. This is one instance where you'd have to be nuts to take the Mac option over a similarly priced Dell etc.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I would hope it would be more than a slight hardware refresh, as the iMac stands out like a sore thumb due to it's incredibly outdated internals. No quad core i7? No blu-ray option? It's simply mind boggling. This is one instance where you'd have to be nuts to take the Mac option over a similarly priced Dell etc.

yeah the iMac is dated but the chips to fix that will soon be available. Problem is Apple can't deliver before Intel Does. Oh Blu-Ray means nothing on a computer, uptake is so thin that I have to wonder if it may soon die out as a media delivery platform. In many ways it is a special interest component. Over all though iMac isn't that bad of a value for what you are getting.

I do agree though that the iMac needs an i7 class CPU even if a mobile device. The number one issue at Apple ought to be filling the performance gap between iMac and the Mac Pro. Or to put it another way Apple needs a midrange performance machine.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 20
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

yeah the iMac is dated but the chips to fix that will soon be available. Problem is Apple can't deliver before Intel Does. Oh Blu-Ray means nothing on a computer, uptake is so thin that I have to wonder if it may soon die out as a media delivery platform. In many ways it is a special interest component. Over all though iMac isn't that bad of a value for what you are getting.

I do agree though that the iMac needs an i7 class CPU even if a mobile device. The number one issue at Apple ought to be filling the performance gap between iMac and the Mac Pro. Or to put it another way Apple needs a midrange performance machine.

Dave

I say Apple should have engineered the iMac in such a way as to be able to use desktop CPUs. It's ridiculous to be dependant on mobile variants. If they had done that they could have had i7s in iMacs for a long time now.

As for BD, it's useful for data backup and for watching movies. I only buy BDs now, I haven't bought a DVD in years so if I want to watch (or ripp) a film on an iMac, I'm stuck. Apple could at least offer it as an option for those who want it.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Personally I'm hoping for the i5 and i7 chips Wednesday when we have the dog & pony show.

I've held off buying an iMac simply because I want the mid-range quad (slower of the 2 i7s) unless pricing is cut on the iMac range to the point where I can get the faster i7.

If Intel is delivering the chips then Apple needs to join that market. I'm ready.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Personally I'm hoping for the i5 and i7 chips Wednesday when we have the dog & pony show.

I've held off buying an iMac simply because I want the mid-range quad (slower of the 2 i7s) unless pricing is cut on the iMac range to the point where I can get the faster i7.

If Intel is delivering the chips then Apple needs to join that market. I'm ready.

I hope I'm wrong but I'd get ready for some serious disappointment. Lynnfield cpu's TDP is 95 watts. That's just way to hot for an iMac without a major redesign. Anything is possible but I think we would have seen some rumors about a redesign if that was in the cards for tomorrow. It also seems like tomorrow's dog and pony show will be all about iPods.

On the bright side, Apple are going to have to lower iMac and mini prices once Lynnfield pcs start showing up at Best Buys. I suspect Lynnfield pcs may cost between $750-1000. Think about it: PCs with the power of a Mac Pro costing about as much as the high end mini and less than the cheapest iMac.

Ouch.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

I say Apple should have engineered the iMac in such a way as to be able to use desktop CPUs. It's ridiculous to be dependant on mobile variants. If they had done that they could have had i7s in iMacs for a long time now.

You're telling me.

Quote:

On the bright side, Apple are going to have to lower iMac and mini prices once Lynnfield pcs start showing up at Best Buys. I suspect Lynnfield pcs may cost between $750-1000. Think about it: PCs with the power of a Mac Pro costing about as much as the high end mini and less than the cheapest iMac.

Ouch.

Yes. i7 class performance in computers costing the same as the mini.

Seriously. I don't know what Apple's response will be. But to me they need to re-think their approach to the desktop. it's flawed. over simplified. And way behind the curve. AND with no end in sight to the madness.

I like Apple. But blind allegiance glossing over the basic facts I can't stomach. i5-i7 performance in a mini-price range. Think about that folks!

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    The solution will be that people don't buy Apple desktops. If that's the road they want to go down...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I don't see a reason now. The MacPro has been priced out of reach for all but its most high end users and the iMac/Mini give you all the disadvantages of a laptop without the portability. Better to just buy a MBP and an external display.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Ah well, no new iMacs today.

With the i5 and i7 processors available now from Intel I don't think Apple has the luxury of waiting very long to remain competitive.

Me? I'll keep my money until there is a quad iMac. Apple has the engineers and designers and I have the money waiting.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

I know it's been discussed to death, but I've been waiting for around three years (well, off and on) in hopes that Apple would introduce a Mid Tower. I don't mind paying more for OSX but not as much as a Mac Pro, and I refuse to pay that much more for the glorified-laptop-on-a-stand iMac, where every extra HD, or optical drive, or TV tuner, etc. is a new wire and box hanging out messing up my desk, not to mention the lower-end laptop grade CPUs and GPUs. If Apple can come out with a Nano that breaks the No FM Radio-in-our-iPods rule, why no Mid-Tower? If Dell and Sony, etc. can produce an all-in-one, why the heck can't Apple make money selling a mid-tower? Oh, I forgot. Steve knows what's best. That's why when Windows 7 comes out I'll be replacing mt 9 year old Dell with a new Dell Studio XPS instead of a Mac-anything. Sorry, I couldn's help myself... go ahead and rip me as another sideline whiner...
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Ah well, no new iMacs today.

With the i5 and i7 processors available now from Intel I don't think Apple has the luxury of waiting very long to remain competitive.

Me? I'll keep my money until there is a quad iMac. Apple has the engineers and designers and I have the money waiting.

You'll be waiting for a while then and the quad cores you get aren't going to be very speedy
  • Reply 15 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I have no sources, but given that the 24" iMac is being positioned as a prosumer-to-professional machine I would expect the transition to happen sooner rather than later, possibly this spring. If it means redesigning the machine, they'll redesign the machine (the design isn't exactly new as it is). Apple cannot afford to post a serious performance deficit for very long at the $1500+ price point, especially since the iMac's customers now include Adobe CS and FCP users, among others.

The i3 and i5 are just dribbling out now, and the i7 is settling into its new socket. I'd give Apple a couple of months to move away from Core 2 (at the high end at least) before I started worrying.

Apple just released an OS that makes it unusually easy to factor code to run on multiple cores efficiently, without any applications having to know how many cores there are. I don't think that's accidental.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

I know it's been discussed to death, but I've been waiting for around three years (well, off and on) in hopes that Apple would introduce a Mid Tower.

I think the next Mac Pro update will bring the Mid Tower/xMac that people have been wanting. Previous Mac Pro models have had both processor sockets on the same motherboard and if you wanted a quad-core model it came with only one processor. The current Mac Pro models have the processor(s) on a processor tray (i.e. daughter-card) making it easier for Apple to change processor/RAM configurations without having to change the rest of the computer.

The high-end Mac Pro will have two, Core i9 (6-core Gulftown) processors. The low-end Mac Pro will have one Core i7-860 and keep the "Pro", or it will get the Core i5-750 and drop the "Pro". Apple can further separate the two models by putting FireWire 3600 in the high-end. USB 3.0 will go in both.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I think the next Mac Pro update will bring the Mid Tower/xMac that people have been wanting. Previous Mac Pro models have had both processor sockets on the same motherboard and if you wanted a quad-core model it came with only one processor. The current Mac Pro models have the processor(s) on a processor tray (i.e. daughter-card) making it easier for Apple to change processor/RAM configurations without having to change the rest of the computer.

The high-end Mac Pro will have two, Core i9 (6-core Gulftown) processors. The low-end Mac Pro will have one Core i7-860 and keep the "Pro", or it will get the Core i5-750 and drop the "Pro". Apple can further separate the two models by putting FireWire 3600 in the high-end. USB 3.0 will go in both.

Dating back to October '05, every PowerMac/MacPro update has included a price increase of at least $150 for a cumulative increase of $1000. Its been pretty clear that they're trying to use price increases to herd people from towers to their precious iMac. I don't think such a system has a chance while Jobs and Ive still walk Apple's halls.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Actually the Mobile processors make the iMacs very green. Now that might not be important to you but is a solid selling point for Apple. Given that i still think it is possible for Apple to engineer in a higher performing set of components on the the largest model.

Quote:

As for BD, it's useful for data backup and for watching movies. I only buy BDs now, I haven't bought a DVD in years so if I want to watch (or ripp) a film on an iMac, I'm stuck. Apple could at least offer it as an option for those who want it.

I don't give to hoots about Blue Ray. However I can see how some would still like it even with its short comings. Thus I would support it as a added option. Honestly though I don't think Apple would move enough of them to have the drives in stock, most people are simply moving to other solutions to their problems.

Interestingly people are all upset that the coming Lynfields are to hot for the iMac. That is total BS and in actuality they would lower the power profile of the machine. That 95 watts includes the interface to RAM and a bunch of I/O and represents a real savings of over 23 watts compared to previous Intel solutions. Yeah it is a lot of heat in one place but effectively removes two other large contributors to the thermal load. I have no doubt that Lynfield could go into an iMac but have no idea if Apple will go that route.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Is it the i5s that have had a very good review on Tom's Hardware?

Look very good value for money while wiping the floor with Core 2 duos?

Lemon Bon Bon.

PS. After using an iMac...I'd have to say if it gets a quad core Nehalem derived processor with hyper-threading (I hope!!!) I have to question if I'd ever feel an extra £500-£1000 for a Mac Pro would be necessary. And this is somebody who has waited ten years for another Mac Tower. I guess I got tired of waiting and fell in love with an iMac. And I bought this iMac as a stop gap. If I could trade her up for quad core power and a gpu that shows the GS a clean pair of heels...

• Reply 20 of 20
    New iMacs within a few weeks suckers!

Can't wait