Apple predicted to release new iMacs, MacBooks in weeks

Comments

• Reply 101 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Well they would have to add the DRM support. OSX already has DRM support built into itunes for it's own DRM.

They are not the same thing in the least. On top of that, the drives Apple would need for its iMac are still more expensive than other vendors use for their notebooks and Blu-ray is a competitor to Apple?s digital store. The longer DVD is good enough for people and digital downloads get more popular the less likely we to see Apple throwing support behind it. Eventually they might, but likely only after they see Blu-ray as no threat and the HW cost have come come.

Quote:

Even if it wasn't an issue with playing the discs many people want to use them as a storage format. Or you could rip your movies to hard drive. Though I do my BD ripping in windows due to software limitations for OSX. Though it would still work for some.

Apple isn?t going to add a Blu-ray drive just to tell you to use Windows to rip or watch. If you want to use BRD for backups then you have plenty of options. Apple isn?t stopping you.
  • Reply 102 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Perhaps keeping cool is related to other things. My wife's new model MacBook is way thinner than the previous one she had and it runs almost stone cold, the previous and thicker one was able to fry eggs ...

And here I was thinking that I was the only one cooking breakfast on their early 2007 MPB 17 C2D.
  • Reply 103 of 380
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are not the same thing in the least. On top of that, the drives Apple would need for its iMac are still more expensive than other vendors use for their notebooks and Blu-ray is a competitor to Apple?s digital store. The longer DVD is good enough for people and digital downloads get more popular the less likely we to see Apple throwing support behind it. Eventually they might, but likely only after they see Blu-ray as no threat and the HW cost have come come.

Apple isn?t going to add a Blu-ray drive just to tell you to use Windows to rip or watch. If you want to use BRD for backups then you have plenty of options. Apple isn?t stopping you.

One could say the same thing about buying a mac just to run windows. Apple will do whatever is profitable while maintaining their standards. To deny that Blu-Ray is the successor to DVD seems foolish to me. Although online downloads are becoming popular, the vast majority of folks still like a physical disk they can pop into a player and keep indefinitely. Something they can watch at a friends house, or take into the van on a long drive.<BR><BR>

IMO it is only a matter of time before they support Blu-Ray out of the box.
  • Reply 104 of 380
    If Apple drop the optical drive from the plastic MacBook and redesign the case to be thinner, lighter, and less expensive, then they will have a real winner.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I will never use a laptop for my main computer - absolutely never. Never, never, never.

I expect that in five to ten years, all computers will be laptops, tablets, or servers. The writing is on the wall and the trend is clear.
  • Reply 105 of 380
    Quote:

It is the same. Absolutely. There is support in OSX that allows you play DRM content. They would need to add support for the DRM on the blu ray discs. Same thing. The DRM checks for different things to allow playback but it's the same thing.

Quote:

You don't have to use windows to rip. You can rip them in OSX. Even re-encode them if you so wish. The difference is if you want lossless DTS-HD MA in flac without the DRM you have to use windows. Aside from that you can do it in OSX.

The fact is people want blu ray drives in their macs. They have been asking for it for years. As you well know it's come up in these threads time and time again. Whether apple will provide it or not, only time will tell. But the demand is certainly there.
  • Reply 106 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

To deny that Blu-Ray is the successor to DVD seems foolish to me.

For home theater, sure. For doing backups it?s slow, prone to errors and expensive per GB.

Quote:

It is the same. Absolutely. There is support in OSX that allows you play DRM content. They would need to add support for the DRM on the blu ray discs. Same thing. The DRM checks for different things to allow playback but it's the same thing.

FairPlay and AACS are NOT interchangeable simply because you can call them both DRM. Having FlairPlay in iTunes does NOT make AACS protected media automatically play.
  • Reply 107 of 380
    Quote:

FairPlay and AACS are NOT interchangeable simply because you can call them both DRM. Having FlairPlay in iTunes does NOT make AACS protected media automatically play.

I never said they were interchangable or that fairplay makes AACS media play.

I didn't mean they were physically the same thing. The concept is the same thing. OSX already has DRM support built in. Adding DRM support for blu-ray is not a big deal(to those with issues with DRM)
  • Reply 108 of 380
    The only things I want, are:

Dust filter over intake vent.

Restoration of the remote control holder magnet.

Restoration of the sleep indicator light.

Anti-reflect screen option.

Color option (I prefer white, why does the iMac have to be black?).

Basically revert to the white iMac, add the air filter, and put in modern hardware! Although getting rid of that ugly area below the screen and using a more stable stand would also be nice. Can you name one person that didn't like the G4 design?

Oh and maybe tack $40 to the price and double the RAM so we don't have to do it ourselves every purchase?
  • Reply 109 of 380
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i thought of a mac mini just because the wife hates "wires" and it would get rid of a lot of them.

If you're only interested in getting rid of the wires, wouldn't an iMac all in one be the best choice?
  • Reply 110 of 380
    Quote:

I never said they were interchangable or that fairplay makes AACS media play.

Both being Digital Rights Management doesn?t make them the same thing. Are Windows Server and iPhone OS X are both Operating Systems but they are not the same thing. They are had differently, they have different costs and work competely differently despite having the same basic category of OS the way AACS and FairPlay have a basic category of DRM.

Quote:

I didn't mean they were physically the same thing. The concept is the same thing. OSX already has DRM support built in. Adding DRM support for blu-ray is not a big deal(to those with issues with DRM)

It?s obvious it?s a big deal to them. Jobs has publicly pointed the finger at the licensing as an issue. This has changed since then, but that answer was not the only reasons why Apple would not want to add AACS to Mac OS X. They didn?t even have to add Blu-ray drives to their machines, just add AACS support for Snow Leopard so that 3rd-party drives can be used, yet they have chosen not to do it. So, why haven?t they done it if it is no big deal to Apple?
  • Reply 111 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Basically revert to the white iMac, add the air filter, and put in modern hardware! Although getting rid of that ugly area below the screen and using a more stable stand would also be nice. Can you name one person that didn't like the G4 design?

I hated the base on the G4 iMac. (And aluminum is, in my opinion, much more attractive than white plastic.) The current stand seems plenty stable to me and provides a nice spot to store the keyboard when you want it out of the way.
  • Reply 112 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacmatician View Post

High-end PC notebooks will already have Clarksfield by then, so the MacBook Pro won't be any better off in the CPU area than now (maybe worse since there isn't a direct successor to the 3.07 GHz).

I'd be happy just as long as Apple gets the MacBook Pro off the 2 core (2 thread) train to slowville. If you want to do any kind of serious HD video editing/ rendering on an Apple computer, you have to spend a ba-jillion dollars on a Mac Pro.

Apple, please, please put either a 2 core (four thread) Arrandale, or a 4 core (8 thread) Clarksfield into the MacBook Pro... because I desperately need a mobile HD video editing/ rendering laptop with some oomph to it.

Either that or re-write FCP / FCE in OpenCL asap so we can start utilizing the GPU for rendering... something!... anything!... I need a MacBook Pro that's really "Pro"!
  • Reply 113 of 380
    Given the thickness of the 17" MacBook Pro can be less than 1" thick and still support a 2.8GHz dual core processor (despite the fact that it has a two-piece hinged enclosure and a built in keyboard) I don't see why Apple cannot make an iMac enclosure that is much thinner than the current version, especially if the display is LED backlit.

Why? Just because it looks way cool may be a good enough reason for Apple...
  • Reply 114 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Its gone from a reliable machine using desktop CPUs that was easily upgradable to one that has heat issues with laptop cpus and even the Apple technicians despise working on them.

If lackluster and unreliable is the best compromise they can do, they need to hire some new people. Over the last two years, mine has been a great salesmen for those noisy quad cores.

You know, "Ben". you're acting more like an uninformed troll everyday ,,, so "unlike you".

If you're going to SPREAD rumors, like you always do, at least TRY to give a few examples, with links, to back up your "claims", unless, of course, you're just trying to START them.
  • Reply 115 of 380
    Quote:

Does anyone know if those low-power, desktop-grade C2D that Intel designed for AIOs are available yet?

The 65 W ones? They've been available for a while.
  • Reply 116 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/backpack-imac-shelf-12-08-2009/

Man, I love that shelf. So handy!
  • Reply 117 of 380
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Given the thickness of the 17" MacBook Pro can be less than 1" thick and still support a 2.8GHz dual core processor (despite the fact that it has a two-piece hinged enclosure and a built in keyboard) I don't see why Apple cannot make an iMac enclosure that is much thinner than the current version, especially if the display is LED backlit.

That's true. I've often said that if they insist on using laptop parts in their desktops, Apple should just go ahead and turn the 20" iMac into a MacBook. It would be too large for the jetsetters, but luggable enough for home users.

And at least MacBook owners can change their hard drives.
  • Reply 118 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Never seen that happen. In fact iMacs are notable for how stiffly the cord stays in and how hard it is to pull it out. If you use a non-iMac power cord they fall out easily and if the power cord is locked down and the computer still moveable maybe, but otherwise not at all.

Also, if you don't want it to go through the hole, you don't have to thread it through the hole.

As far as actual improvements to the iMac that would make deployment of them in a lab easier, I would focus on the power supply to the keyboard and the ports available on it. All the ports are on the back of the iMac, which looks great in your home, but in a lab environment where things are plugged and unplugged dozens of times a day it's very difficult indeed. We run short custom cables from the firewire port and leave it dangling so that people can connect/disconnect their video cameras, but USB keys are a constant problem.

Apple's response is to use the USB ports on the keyboard for thumbdrives, but 90% of the time there isn't enough power (or at least the system says there isn't), to access a USB device that way. If the keyboard is supposed to be a USB hub, it should have enough power to work with every device. I know aesthetically it looks bad to have the ports on the front, but there has to be some way of plugging and unplugging a simple thing like a USB key without turning the entire computer around.

Wouldn't a USB hub (pretty cheap, nowadays) placed anywhere you wanted be the answer?
  • Reply 119 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Apple is always right. Customers know nothing. And buyers do and buy as they are told. Steve Jobs is back. Forget about the new Apple. Unfortunately.

\\\

Marketshare increasing, profits increasing, customer satisfaction the highest in the industry, everyone and their dog trying their hardest to copy Apple products and business model .... yea, I'd say Apple is right. Stop bitchin' and just buy the stock/ products and enjoy the ride.
  • Reply 120 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I don't know of any widespread problems caused by thinness.

If they can manage it, it should indeed be thinner, lighter, etc.

heating problems can occur.

I vote that it doesn't need to be thinner.