How Can I get Two Touch's to See Each Other?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have two iPod Touch's one is a new 3rd Gen, the other is a second generation. They're both running OS 3.1, on the same network, right next to each other and both have Bluetooth turned on. In the preferences, Bluetooth, Devices, it says searching, but never finds the other iPod.

I just bought my first P2P game and would like to get this working. When I press "Tap to Start" in "Tic-Tac-Toe Arena" it searches and searches for another iPod or iPhone, but never finds the other iPod. What do I need to do to make these connect?

I also tried to get to either iPod from my Mac Pro "Browse Device" from the Bluetooth pref's and even that didn't see either iPod. Bluetooth/discoverable is on everywhere, so what's up? Why aren't these seen?

Thanks for any help,

Tony

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I have two iPod Touch's one is a new 3rd Gen, the other is a second generation. They're both running OS 3.1, on the same network, right next to each other and both have Bluetooth turned on. In the preferences, Bluetooth, Devices, it says searching, but never finds the other iPod.

I just bought my first P2P game and would like to get this working. When I press "Tap to Start" in "Tic-Tac-Toe Arena" it searches and searches for another iPod or iPhone, but never finds the other iPod. What do I need to do to make these connect?

I also tried to get to either iPod from my Mac Pro "Browse Device" from the Bluetooth pref's and even that didn't see either iPod. Bluetooth/discoverable is on everywhere, so what's up? Why aren't these seen?

Thanks for any help,

Tony

To answer the second part first, browsing your iPod from a Mac isn't going to work. There's nothing to browse. iPod don't share their music or data files.

And your first problem would depend on the app your using. Check with its developer to see if others are the same problem.

Also, the Bluetooth in the iPod 2g _might_ be limited to headphones only-- not data.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarl View Post

To answer the second part first, browsing your iPod from a Mac isn't going to work. There's nothing to browse. iPod don't share their music or data files.

And your first problem would depend on the app your using. Check with its developer to see if others are the same problem.

Also, the Bluetooth in the iPod 2g _might_ be limited to headphones only-- not data.

tarl,

I've now tried several apps, none can connect.

I was told that the 2nd gen will P2P fine, just like the 3rd gen. Of course I was told this at the Apple store by maybe someone that had no clue.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

tarl,

I've now tried several apps, none can connect.

I was told that the 2nd gen will P2P fine, just like the 3rd gen. Of course I was told this at the Apple store by maybe someone that had no clue.

Just got it to work. Yay me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    So what was the solution? I'm sure it could help someone else too.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarl View Post

So what was the solution? I'm sure it could help someone else too.

Make sure WIFI is OFF and Bluetooth ON. I had both turned on at the same time, so I guess it was causing some sort of confusion. All 6 of my P2P games/Utilities are working now. The only downside to this is that one can't upload game results to the web for the world to see. Hopefully Apple will fix this flaw, as some of my games ask if I want to upload my scores.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Make sure WIFI is OFF and Bluetooth ON. I had both turned on at the same time, so I guess it was causing some sort of confusion. All 6 of my P2P games/Utilities are working now. The only downside to this is that one can't upload game results to the web for the world to see. Hopefully Apple will fix this flaw, as some of my games ask if I want to upload my scores.

Consider doing the opposite, turning the wireless ON and the Bluetooth OFF. Perhaps the interference wasn't specifically the WiFi's fault, but rather that you were using two separate network ports at once.