Users report iPod classic issues after iTunes 9 update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Any word if these iPod classics are jailbroken?

Have you ever seen an iPod Classic? It is an iPod. It is not an iPhone or an iPod Touch. They can't be jailbroken.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    My iPod Classic 120GB with 2.0.1 software works great with 10.6, 10.6.1 and iTunes 9. Perhaps it is mostly with the 80 GB and older 160 GB models with the 1.0.x software (to which Apple refuses to update).
  • Reply 23 of 58
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I don't like how podcasts are now sorted. Before I could listen to part of a podcast, snyc and everything would remain sorted by date. Now if I sync part way through, that episode moves to the bottom of the list. If I go back to listen to that episode I have to take my iPhone out and select the next episode once it finishes. That's a pain when you are driving or working out. Why would they change that?
  • Reply 24 of 58
    We have an old 60GB 5th generation and a 80GB iPod Classic and haven't had any problems with iTunes 9 (running 10.6.1) synching either of them.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

This seems like the weakest and most error prone of all the iTunes updates. It seems that Apple got caught rushing out a product and software refresh before they were ready; i.e., iTunes interface missteps; iTunes LP download problems; syncing problems; the iPod Touch not getting a camera, and the iPod nano getting a camera but only video.

You are so full of it I can smell you way over here. Anecdotal "My iPod, Mac, Whatever, doesn't work" stories are baloney in the grand scheme of things and statistically irrelevant. My son uses iTunes on his Vista box. I use iTunes on my iMac. No problems ever. My iPod 3G (10GB) still works with it's original battery and syncs to iTunes 9 without issue. If your read it on the internet it isn't always true and it certainly isn't necessarily widespread.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You are so full of it I can smell you way over here. Anecdotal "My iPod, Mac, Whatever, doesn't work" stories are baloney in the grand scheme of things and statistically irrelevant. My son uses iTunes on his Vista box. I use iTunes on my iMac. No problems ever. My iPod 3G (10GB) still works with it's original battery and syncs to iTunes 9 without issue. If your read it on the internet it isn't always true and it certainly isn't necessarily widespread.

You do realize the irony of you calling BS on someone for having a problem with their iPod not working properly with iTunes 9? You state "if you read it on the internet it isn't always true".

The story he was commenting on was about the very same product that is having the problem that this story is about?
  • Reply 27 of 58
    My 160 Classic works fine. But (off topic) with SL I lost ability to drag multiple files into iTunes - it only takes one at a time. Has anyone seen this?
  • Reply 28 of 58
    I haven't had that issue with my 120 GB yet.

I have had different issues. I have Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and iTunes 9 on my MacBook 13 inch (less than 8 months old). When iTunes is downloading podcasts and I trash the previous ones I have listened to, I go and try to empty the trash can...it will ask you to empty and you click to confirm, Finder doesn't open to confirm. After that happens, any icons on my desktop, not dock (dock items are fine) won't open. I have to click on the Apple icon and Force Quit Finder, which prompts a relaunch. It turns off the laptop and doesn't restart. You have to turn it on again...oy vay.

Anyone have similar issues?
  • Reply 29 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raybo View Post

My 160 Classic works fine. But (off topic) with SL I lost ability to drag multiple files into iTunes - it only takes one at a time. Has anyone seen this?

I haven?t seen this, but I?d post it at Apple?s forums and MacOSXHints.com to try to get some assistance. In the mean time, you can always use iTunes 9?s new "Automatically Add to iTunes? folder in your iTunes Music folder to have multiple items update.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    My Classic works great...

Nobody ever mentions the 50 million or so that work flawlessly.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Why would they? In my area AT&T coverage is great. I don't come on this board to compain about that. I come to this site to make others aware of problems with 1 product.

The iPhone 3G.

With 3.1 on my 3G iPhone my WiFi is inconsistent and my Bluetooth loses connections during a call with my cars built in Bluetooth.. Look it up.

People complain when their components don't work properly.

Check Apple Forum Boards.

People don't complain when things are going OK or look to Forum Boards to vent their frustration. It's when they have a real problem. 8 Months and counting until I'm out of my contract with AT&T (actually Apple).

Made the mistake twice with the original iPhone (Paid fulll price) and again with the 3G.

Didn't make the same mistake again with the 3GS.

Android is the future yet you all still think that Google is your buddy. It's business not friends and Google is not
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Why would they? In my area AT&T coverage is great. I don't come on this board to complain about that. I come to this site to make others aware of problems with 1 product.

The iPhone 3G.

With 3.1 on my 3G iPhone my WiFi is inconsistent and my Bluetooth loses connections during a call with my cars built in Bluetooth.. Look it up.

People don't complain when things are going OK or look to Forum Boards to vent their frustration. It's when they have a real problem. 8 Months and counting until I'm out of my contract with AT&T (actually Apple).

Made the mistake twice with the original iPhone (Paid fulll price) and again with the 3G.

Android is the future yet you all still think that Google is your buddy. It's business not friends and Google is not Apple's friend anymore. They have made that clear.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Why would they? In my area AT&T coverage is great. I don't come on this board to compain about that. I come to this site to make others aware of problems with 1 product.

The iPhone 3G.

Android is the future yet you all still think that Google is your buddy. It's business not friends and Google is not

Well, I logged in to say mine is working fine...

I've had a wonderful experience with the iPhone. I guess that's why I've bought all three.

Good luck with Android. And as a consumer, Google is my buddy.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    My old 160 Classic works better with iTunes 9 than it did with 8. Syncing on Windows 7 no longer always opens an Explorer window.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yes, I know your type. Everything is anecdotal, Apple does no wrong, etc. etc. Then when Apple comes out with a fix for the problem you didn't believe existed, you can praise apple for fixing their mistakes.

Apple makes great products - but sometimes they release a product too early, before all the bugs are worked out, and sometimes they just make a mistake. As Apple makes more products and the hardware becomes more complicated, there will undoubtedly be more problems.

If 2% of Apple customers have a problem and you're not one of the 2%, you say they're lying or they're just Apple-bashing. Just hope that next time you're not one of the 2% who has to wait two months for a fix of a major problem.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Maybe "PC" can mention the crashing iPods in the next "I'm a Mac" commercial

Yeah, that's a fabulous idea.

That's even lamer than the actual ads. What would be the purpose of this - to try to take Zune's market share over 2%? That's not gonna happen, no matter how much Ballmer apologists play up this egregious software meltdown (errrr, minor bug that will fixed within days).
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate View Post

I've been able to get my 160 Classic to sync just fine, so it's not universal. Hope Apple figures this out soon, though, as it must be frustrating to those who fall prey to it.

Me to - didn't know there were even issues until I saw the story and I use my launch iPod 160Gb daily. Maybe it's the new ones?
  • Reply 38 of 58
    My 10-year old saw my iPod 1.0 (yeah, the original classic) lying around and wanted to listen to it. So, on a whim, I decided to update/sync (SL 10.6.1, iTunes 9.0), with no expectation that it would work.

I was really quite taken aback (and my 10-year old quite impressed) by how seamlessly it synced with the new software, and how the darn thing still works like a charm. (Btw, does anyone else think that the sound output quality on the original is way better than the Touch or the iPhone?)
  • Reply 39 of 58
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Yes, I know your type. Everything is anecdotal, Apple does no wrong, etc. etc. Then when Apple comes out with a fix for the problem you didn't believe existed, you can praise apple for fixing their mistakes.

Apple makes great products - but sometimes they release a product too early, before all the bugs are worked out, and sometimes they just make a mistake. As Apple makes more products and the hardware becomes more complicated, there will undoubtedly be more problems.

If 2% of Apple customers have a problem and you're not one of the 2%, you say they're lying or they're just Apple-bashing. Just hope that next time you're not one of the 2% who has to wait two months for a fix of a major problem.

He's not saying anyone is lying. He's saying that the fact that some number of people is reporting a problem doesn't necessarily mean anything. You touch on the point yourself: perhaps this problem affects 2% (or 0.2% or 20%) of users, but one might think from the article that it's much bigger. The that that we have is a "few" anecdotes about problems with iPod Classics tells us _nothing_ about how widespread the problem is.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    I haven't seen any problems synching my 120GB iPod Classic on my Leopard (not Snow Leopard) late 2008 MacBook Pro. But iTunes 9 has crashed two or three times when opening or navigating within the iTunes store. I don't recall any previous version of iTunes ever crashing.