Anyone having trouble with iChat in Snow Leopard?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi everyone.

I've noticed that after updating to Snow Leopard, iChat seems to develop a memory leak or something whenever I attempt to video chat with Windows users. iChat will establish a video connection but after about two minutes, the video will become laggy and pixelated. After a few more minutes, iChat's video will entirely lock up and at that point typing text produces an error that says that my last text wasn't sent properly. If I keep the video chat window open, eventually iChat will entirely lose connection entirely. I also lose my internet connection, it seems. Even after closing the video window and quitting iChat, I can no longer access the internet without fully restarting my computer.

I've seen this issue on different Macs I own (and used iChat on other networks) and checked the Apple support forums to no avail. I'm just trying to see if anyone else out there has had similar problems. If so, are there any workarounds or other apps you might suggest for someone who needs to video chat via the AIM client? Also, I apologize in advance is this thread is in the wrong forum. I'm a long time reader and don't post very often.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mah keyz! He is loggin dem!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gamrin View Post

Hi everyone.

I've noticed that after updating to Snow Leopard, iChat seems to develop a memory leak or something whenever I attempt to video chat with Windows users. iChat will establish a video connection but after about two minutes, the video will become laggy and pixelated. After a few more minutes, iChat's video will entirely lock up and at that point typing text produces an error that says that my last text wasn't sent properly. If I keep the video chat window open, eventually iChat will entirely lose connection entirely. I also lose my internet connection, it seems. Even after closing the video window and quitting iChat, I can no longer access the internet without fully restarting my computer.

I've seen this issue on different Macs I own (and used iChat on other networks) and checked the Apple support forums to no avail. I'm just trying to see if anyone else out there has had similar problems.

No, haven't had that. But then I haven't installed SL yet either. Your description fits the general pattern of SL users with problems, though. This sounds like a cache filling and not flushing. That could simply be one of the thousands of bugs currently still poisoning SL. A next update might cure it.

An illegal process, like a (clearly rambling) keylogger, could also cause it.

Have you got reason to believe you're being eavesdropped upon? Or are you just paranoid, like me?

Have you checked the Activity Monitor for suspicious processes?

Repaired Permissions? Did that change anything?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gamrin View Post

If so, are there any workarounds or other apps you might suggest for someone who needs to video chat via the AIM client?

Restore Leopard (got Time Machine?) and video chat like you used to.

You can try to upgrade to SL again when the OSX.6.2 update is out (assuming you are fully updated – up to OSX.6.1 – now). See if that improves your 'user experience'.

If not: restore Leopard again.

Etc. etc.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for the feedback. I've done all the normal things like repairing permissions and zapping the PRAM but nothing worked. I figured this was a SL bug, but I wanted to make sure there was nothing I was doing. The only change I made to iChat was installing SL, so I assume that's the problem. And I'm the only one who has physical access to my computer; I've got it password protected and FileVault on, so I'm sure there are no keyloggers running in the background. I suppose I'll just have to use Skype to video chat for now until Apple fixes iChat (AIM for the Mac doesn't seem to be able to do video chat).