Windows Machine access to Mac FireWire drive??

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have been trying to figure out how to allow a Windows machine access to the folders and files on a firewire drive that hangs off of my Mac, is this possible?? Currently the Windows machine has no problem seeing my harddrive and getting access, I was just wanting to allow it to see the FireWire drive as well.

Ty

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Brendon:

<strong>I have been trying to figure out how to allow a Windows machine access to the folders and files on a firewire drive that hangs off of my Mac, is this possible?? Currently the Windows machine has no problem seeing my harddrive and getting access, I was just wanting to allow it to see the FireWire drive as well.

Ty</strong><hr></blockquote>

What are you connecting with exactly? Is it an 'iLink' connection? Do you use a generic 1394 PCI card?

For seeing the actual files, it should be a partition type that Windows can read (like for example FAT16/FAT32/NTFS)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by MightyMo:

<strong>

What are you connecting with exactly? Is it an 'iLink' connection? Do you use a generic 1394 PCI card?

For seeing the actual files, it should be a partition type that Windows can read (like for example FAT16/FAT32/NTFS)</strong><hr></blockquote>

The drive is a standard firewire drive that is connected to my Mac. I was wanting to see the files on this FireWire drive with my PC, over the LAN. Currently I can see only the folders that I have altered to permissions to, I don't see this as an option on the FireWire drive.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Brendon:

<strong>Currently I can see only the folders that I have altered permissions to</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you're seeing something already it's a good sign I guess!

But I meant what file system is on your external drive? Did you format it under Windows or under MacOS? Is there more than one partition on it?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    You need a package called 'Mac Drive'. Costs $, unfortunately.

Mike.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    You don't need any thing other than Samba. Not what came with the machine but the one you download from versiontracker. With that you can share any folder (on any drive) with the world. No body should only use the apple supplied version of samba. That version stinks.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by anand:

<strong>You don't need any thing other than Samba. Not what came with the machine but the one you download from versiontracker. With that you can share any folder (on any drive) with the world. No body should only use the apple supplied version of samba. That version stinks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The original poster probably meant how to access a HFS+ formatted FireWire drive connected directly to a PC, not how to access a Mac over the network.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by anand:

<strong>You don't need any thing other than Samba. Not what came with the machine but the one you download from versiontracker. With that you can share any folder (on any drive) with the world. No body should only use the apple supplied version of samba. That version stinks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the version that comes with OS X 10.2 is fine -- it just needs to be configured the right way. Try <a href="http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/index.shtml"; target="_blank">Samba Sharing Package</a>.

I'm suspecting all you need to do is add a share point for the Firewire drive (most likely mounted at /Volumes/[Volume Name]). You'll want to take out any spaces from the drive name, however, as I understand that causes problems on the Windows side with recognizing the share point.

[ 02-20-2003: Message edited by: Osakans ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by nguyenhm16:

<strong>

The original poster probably meant how to access a HFS+ formatted FireWire drive connected directly to a PC, not how to access a Mac over the network.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He specifically said "I was wanting to see the files on this FireWire drive with my PC, over the LAN."

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 9 of 9
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Osakans has got it. Thats what I was trying to say in the first place. You did a better job. I have never just used the SST but rather installed both. Is there a difference?

Samba works well to share a firewire drive, I do it all the time.