Bargain price boosts Apple's Snow Leopard to swift sales start

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I can't print with my Epson Photo R800 and it says I need to install Rosetta and then install the driver- Waghh!

Will Rosetta slow down SL to where Leopard was? If so I may need to buy a new printer. My Photo R800 is too good to discard.

WHy has Apple messed up so many previously existing print drivers that were in Leopard? COuldn't they have sent out word long before relasing SL?

For some reason R800 seems to be the only Epson Stylus Photo printer NOT compatible with Snow Leopard. Why I don't know. Fortunately my R2400 is ok.

http://www.epson.com.ph/support/snowleopard.shtml
  • Reply 22 of 34
    I am really happy I upgraded to SL. But lately, every now and then, I get the spin ing beach ball when I'm using safari. I was just curious if there is a problem or if my hard drive it getting full would be the issue. Out of 160gigs I only have 31 left. I have a new 13" unibody MacBook pro. If anyone has insight it would be appreciated.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Do you have any issues with choppy animations with the 64 bit kernel. If I boot SL with 32 bit kernel on my Mac Pro, all animations are butter smooth. If I switch to 64 bit kernel some animations are somewhat choppy, but dashboard is totally choppy. It's as if it has 6-7 frames per second instead of usual 60.

How do you opt to boot with either the 64-bit kernel or the 32-bit kernel. Is there a selection somewhere that I need to make?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

I am really happy I upgraded to SL. But lately, every now and then, I get the spin ing beach ball when I'm using safari. I was just curious if there is a problem or if my hard drive it getting full would be the issue. Out of 160gigs I only have 31 left. I have a new 13" unibody MacBook pro. If anyone has insight it would be appreciated.

No, wait for a SF update. That's the issue.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleBiter View Post

How do you opt to boot with either the 64-bit kernel or the 32-bit kernel. Is there a selection somewhere that I need to make?

Quick way to do it is to hold 64 while booting (before the spinner on gray screen with apple logo) to select 64 kernel.

If everything works for you, then you can make this permanent by editing the boot.plist file and adding x86_64 to kernel startup arguments.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Quick way to do it is to hold 64 while booting (before the spinner on gray screen with apple logo) to select 64 kernel.

If everything works for you, then you can make this permanent by editing the boot.plist file and adding x86_64 to kernel startup arguments.

If you use Parallels then you will have to use the 32-bit kernel. I tried it with the 64-bit and didn't work.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

I've been using it and notice actually is worst than Leopard....

The Expose is not as nice as before, the Stack icon are huge, Safari is taking much more resource than before, and everything flickers more often

The HDD is non-stop spinning, my MBP 15" Unibody with 4GB RAM feels like 1GB RAM after upgrading to SL...

I spend most of the time waiting, because of the whole system freeze, mostly Safari, I've notice it takes about 1GB RAM of Real Memory, what's with that?

I'll find a way to downgrade back to Leopard

My final thoughts SL is not up to the par as Leopard, being an upgrade of an existing OS, feels cheap, no wonder they are just asking for 29.00

You have other problems with your Mac. Perhaps you have system hacks or old PowerPC programs running in the background. Try a fresh install of the OS.

Snow Leopard is considerably faster than Leopard in most respects. The only bug I have encountered is with Image Capture and its inability to transfer movie files from my digital still camera. I have none of the problems are you experiencing. If you have system freezes with Safari, get rid of those hack plug-ins. They are always incompatible with system updates.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I can't print with my Epson Photo R800 and it says I need to install Rosetta and then install the driver- Waghh!

Will Rosetta slow down SL to where Leopard was? If so I may need to buy a new printer. My Photo R800 is too good to discard.

WHy has Apple messed up so many previously existing print drivers that were in Leopard? COuldn't they have sent out word long before relasing SL?

Teckstud, I thought you were you supposed to be some kind of genius? I guess you never bothered to search for the obvious??? Use the Epson drivers that are included on the Snow Leopard DVD, or download the Snow Leopard compatible driver for your printer, directly from Epson...first one in the list and released BEFORE Snow Leopard hit store shelves.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...form=Macintosh

Apple did not mess up any printer drivers. People are not following the directions for their specific printer. You do realize that Snow Leopard has been in development for years and printer manufacturers do have Snow Leopard drivers. You need to ditch your outdated PowerPC driver and install the correct driver. Apple doesn't write any printer software, blame the printer vendor. But in your case, you haven't bothered to install the Snow Leopard driver to correct your problem.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I've been happy with SL so far, but the one thing I have noticed is that Safari doesn't seem to have the benefits advertised. I thought it was going to be less prone to crashing, but I've still had it go down a few times.

Get rid of your Safari hacks. Safari has never crashed on me.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

Just goes to show, give customers a bit more speed and a few refinements to an already good OS and people are happy if the price is right.

We don't need massive new features and a new UI every OS release.

yes thats the point, but they refinements are not few .. atleast giving full 64bit compatibility is not just any other refinement
  • Reply 31 of 34
    If Apple keep up this pricing model I will keep buying. I'm surprised companies don't realise more often that people don't like paying a lot in one big go. If they sell little cheap and often then people buy more. If they created a MobileMe Premium service for say £10/$15 per month which included free OS upgrades, I'd definitely sign up.

On a slightly different note, my battery life under SL has unfortunately decreased dramatically :-(
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I've been happy with SL so far, but the one thing I have noticed is that Safari doesn't seem to have the benefits advertised. I thought it was going to be less prone to crashing, but I've still had it go down a few times.

On the topic of the article though, I'm really pleased takeup has been high. I'm looking forwards to seeing third party applications take advantage of Grand Central, and it seems more likely that will happen with a large installed base.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Get rid of your Safari hacks. Safari has never crashed on me.

I have no Safari hacks. I have a totally clean install. Just yesterday, Safari crashed saying it was due to a Flash plug-in (I don't remember the exact message). But I thought I heard somewhere that when a plug-in crashes, Safari wouldn't be affected, just the plug-in.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Teckstud, I thought you were you supposed to be some kind of genius? I guess you never bothered to search for the obvious??? Use the Epson drivers that are included on the Snow Leopard DVD, or download the Snow Leopard compatible driver for your printer, directly from Epson...first one in the list and released BEFORE Snow Leopard hit store shelves.

Apple did not mess up any printer drivers. People are not following the directions for their specific printer. You do realize that Snow Leopard has been in development for years and printer manufacturers do have Snow Leopard drivers. You need to ditch your outdated PowerPC driver and install the correct driver. Apple doesn't write any printer software, blame the printer vendor. But in your case, you haven't bothered to install the Snow Leopard driver to correct your problem.

Hillstones- thanks for this link. It's weird that Epson hasn't listed this on their main driver page list nor did Apple include it in 10.6.1. I will try it tonight.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

No genius here. Now do you know how to get Flip4Mac to work in SL?