Apple predicted to release new iMacs, MacBooks in weeks

Comments

• Reply 221 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And you can write to a Blur-ray disk with a Blue-ray ROM on a PC?

How do you do that?

I thought his statement was about ripping a disk. Don't need a writable drive for that.
  • Reply 222 of 380
    Who cares about blu-ray, the disks are still too expensive...
  • Reply 223 of 380
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I already store a 2.5 Hdd back there on my imac. Only difference is I use a strip of double sided sticky tape. Costs .30 cents and keeps the hdd completely hidden.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/foosbal...le-17-09-2009/
  • Reply 224 of 380
    edit smedit
  • Reply 225 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is little Apple couldn?t do that others are doing, but that does not mean it?s a good fit for their business. For Apple?s PoV I don?t see that Blu-ray is a great fit and this is backed by the complete lack of support for it in the OS. You can?t just slap in a drive and have it work, which you are aware, and Apple had a great opportunity with Snow Leopard to include and test Blu-ray playback in Snow Leopard yet it?s not there. DVD Player didn?t even get an update. I?d wager that Apple will be removing optical drives from their notebook line before they add Blu-ray support to their OS.

Blu ray will die in this economy

I just saw on sale for $48. at best buy the movie "the 40 yr old virgin " blu ray exclusive directors cut . 3 dvd's filled all sorts of extra's and stuff .

My dinner with andre will just have to wait .

• Reply 226 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiviaphoto View Post

Who cares about blu-ray, the disks are still too expensive...

Thats what I've been saying this whole past week on these forums!!! QFT --- F*** BLU RAY!!!! ARHGHGH

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I completely missed that post. Quite clever, Anonymouse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I see what ya did there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

As you might expect, I'm keeping the type of mouse I use secret.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't believe mice are carriers of H1N1.

Man, anonymouse is rocking this thread!
  • Reply 227 of 380
    Quote:

Just how would you rip a Blue-ray on a Mac or any other computer with an internal BD-ROM?

Ripping BluRay on a PC to is widely known, just Google "how to rip blu ray" ... Gizmodo even has a blow-by-blow how-to guide. Macs and OS X are behind the curve on this one. But as usual, the process on PC is rather convoluted. At the end of the day, you wonder, "Why did I even bother?" ... But of course, to do it to be able to watch BluRay on your Mac is a good reason to go through the steps. However you have to transcode to watch on your Mac... AFAIK... which means a loss in quality... but I'm not 100% up to date on this BluRay shingimadoo... (See above post on me saying screw BluRay and its cost)...
  • Reply 228 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

can the MBP15" 3.02 HGz play wolfenstein ?? is it like cod ?

It is kind of like somewhere between COD and Fear2 ... Your MBP can definitely play Wolfenstein. The only thing is you may have to tweak the "Performance" setting to turn of Specular graphics and set Shadows to Low. There is no antialiasing unless you force it using a tweak for Nvidia cards. You may have to play one resolution below your MBP native, that is, at 1280 by 800... Depending.

Some people say its a "shitty console port" but it is actually not too bad once you get over the slightly jarring graphics, very 3D looking humans (like most modern games) and relatively simple shootouts. The trick is to look for Gold, Intel and Tomes so your missions are more interesting. Then when you get Veil powers using that is a lot more fun than shooting guns... And guess what. The story is actually not that bad, has a bit of Indiana Jones feel to it more than the original Wolfenstein feel... Make sure you talk to all the characters to feel more of the storyline. Oh, finally, make sure you read every piece of Intel you get... adds to the interest and gives a little backstory.
  • Reply 229 of 380
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ripping BluRay on a PC to is widely known, just Google "how to rip blu ray" ... Gizmodo even has a blow-by-blow how-to guide. Macs and OS X are behind the curve on this one. But as usual, the process on PC is rather convoluted. At the end of the day, you wonder, "Why did I even bother?" ... But of course, to do it to be able to watch BluRay on your Mac is a good reason to go through the steps. However you have to transcode to watch on your Mac... AFAIK... which means a loss in quality... but I'm not 100% up to date on this BluRay shingimadoo... (See above post on me saying screw BluRay and its cost)...

Actually I have no interest in watching it on my Mac. I rip them so that I can convert them to DVD for the various players in my home that haven't been upgraded to Blu-Ray. Nothing more complicated than that. Apparently folks don't understand what 'Ripping' means. You don't need a burner for that. A BD-Rom is all you need. most BD-Roms are also DVD-RW capable which is a nice bonus.

Any conversion which requires re-encoding results in quality loss, although many folks will convert a Blu-Ray to 720P which will easily fit on a DVD in MP4 format. I'm not interested in that path. Just ripping the and converting to DVD for the few DVD players I have left. It's either that, or purchasing Blu-Ray players throughout the house or buying companion DVD's to go along with each Blu-Ray purchase. Much easier to simply rip the blue ray and convert to DVD for those players that need it.
  • Reply 230 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

12 years ago, when he was chosen to lead Apple as its new CEO, replacing Gil Amelio, Steve Jobs promised to substantially increase the Mac market share. Steve Jobs also acknowledged that the 1986 decision to not license the original Mac OS had been a bad decision, but stressed that he was no longer part of the company when that decision was made.

Newcomers to the Mac platform may not realize how important to Mac loyalists was the commitment from Steve Jobs to increase the Mac market share. Mac loyalists had supported the platform since the early days, joining Mac user clubs and promoting Macs at work or in schools, colleges and universities, despite the higher prices and decreasing market share of Macs, and despite the growing popularity and ever lower price of Windows 95 and Windows 98 computers.

Things changed at Apple the day that Steve Jobs demanded outrageous stock option bonuses for himself and his hand picked Vice Presidents. From that moment on, Apple was turned into a money machine producing ever higher profit margins to reward Steve Jobs and his loyal friends in Apple's higher management to the detriment of average users who had to pay higher prices. Gone were any hope of expanding the Mac market share or adopting a policy of competitive prices and features.

As Apple developped a new OS, the iPhone OS, Steve Jobs repeated the original mistake which caused the downfall of the Mac through the late 1980's and 1990's, when he opposed the licensing of the iPhone OS and demanded a $400 premium on every iPhone, a profit margin of more than 200%.

As a lame justification for his greed, Steve Jobs developped the arguments quoted above, stressing that Apple was not going after every market, just the high margin opportunities, somehow accepting that Apple was to forever remain a niche player with different and overpriced products carrying a higher profit margin for average quality or outdated components. All was in the name of Apple and the "vision" of Steve Jobs. The Apple stock became a favorite of hedge fund managers who were looking for a quick profit, not a long term investment.

Mac users and Mac loyalists were betrayed by Steve Jobs and, with its high prices and limited choice of models or options, Apple doesn't have a bright future.

A company should listen to its customers and aim to grow its market share, for otherwise, it should cease to exist.

When Jobs came back to Apple the company was in the dumps. Even Little Mike Dell was saying the company should be liquidated and shareholders given their money back.

Today Apple has far more free cash at hand to cut a check for Dell - the whole bloody company, including buildings, patents, and customer base. Pay cash for the who bloody company and still have enough left over to bail out GM.

Their product lines are tightly controlled, well designed and loved by most customers. Their customer service ratings are the best in the business. Their margins are solid, and their stores are showing the rest of the industry how to do it - but they won't be able to match Apple.

Truth is that you cannot name another CEO who has as much impact on their company or industry than Steve Jobs. The dude was worth far more than a simple Billion Dollars to the company and to its customers.

Don't like it? Then go buy a Dell. I don't that there is much of a chance of Apple buying it with their pocket change.
  • Reply 231 of 380
    Steve seems to be betting that BluRay will lose out to broadband. Steve is usually right about such things.
  • Reply 232 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Steve seems to be betting that BluRay will lose out to broadband. Steve is usually right about such things.

Eventually, but BluRay still does fill an important area while next-generation broadband gets up and running over the next 5 years (I'm talking widespread, easy availability of wired+wireless 100mbps broadband in many, many areas of US, Europe and Australia, Asia, etc. WITHOUT HORRIBLY RESTRICTIVE BANDWIDTH CAPS/COST).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

When Jobs came back to Apple the company was in the dumps. Even Little Mike Dell was saying the company should be liquidated and shareholders given their money back...Today Apple has far more free cash at hand to cut a check for Dell - the whole bloody company, including buildings, patents, and customer base. Pay cash for the who bloody company and still have enough left over to bail out GM...

On that note Apple should buy over one of the auto companies and make the iCar hybrid, environmentally-friendly, great design, etc. etc. It's not as crazy as it sounds. Think of how digitally connected the car is nowadays. Think of the mess the auto industry is in. Now think of Apple design, software, and thinking. If Steve was in better health he could pull it off within the next 3 years. Right now though unfortunately I think the iTablet will be his last great delivery before he really has to spend more time for himself and his family, hand over and train up the rest of the Apple team. Personal transport is so critical to our lifestyles in addition to personal computing and the "digital mobile lifestyle".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Actually I have no interest in watching it on my Mac. I rip them so that I can convert them to DVD for the various players in my home that haven't been upgraded to Blu-Ray. Nothing more complicated than that. Apparently folks don't understand what 'Ripping' means. You don't need a burner for that. A BD-Rom is all you need. most BD-Roms are also DVD-RW capable which is a nice bonus.

Any conversion which requires re-encoding results in quality loss, although many folks will convert a Blu-Ray to 720P which will easily fit on a DVD in MP4 format. I'm not interested in that path. Just ripping the and converting to DVD for the few DVD players I have left. It's either that, or purchasing Blu-Ray players throughout the house or buying companion DVD's to go along with each Blu-Ray purchase. Much easier to simply rip the blue ray and convert to DVD for those players that need it.

Cool. I was wondering what your transcode was after ripping or if you just copied directly to hard disk without transcoding. Yup, DVD/BluRay "ripping" may confuse some of those who use Macs all the time. ... Well, to be fair you have MacTheRipper~Handbrake on Mac for DVDs so it's quite straightforward. Can't wait for BluRay ripping eg. Handbrake for Mac to handle it, that would be good. I like going through Doom9 and reading all the techniques but were I to get into BluRay I would love a Handbrake for Mac to handle all of it in one shot.
  • Reply 233 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Eventually, but BluRay still does fill an important area while next-generation broadband gets up and running over the next 5 years (I'm talking widespread, easy availability of wired+wireless 100mbps broadband in many, many areas of US, Europe and Australia, Asia, etc. WITHOUT HORRIBLY RESTRICTIVE BANDWIDTH CAPS/COST).

On that note Apple should buy over one of the auto companies and make the iCar hybrid, environmentally-friendly, great design, etc. etc. It's not as crazy as it sounds. Think of how digitally connected the car is nowadays. Think of the mess the auto industry is in. Now think of Apple design, software, and thinking. If Steve was in better health he could pull it off within the next 3 years. Right now though unfortunately I think the iTablet will be his last great delivery before he really has to spend more time for himself and his family, hand over and train up the rest of the Apple team. Personal transport is so critical to our lifestyles in addition to personal computing and the "digital mobile lifestyle".

Cool. I was wondering what your transcode was after ripping or if you just copied directly to hard disk without transcoding. Yup, DVD/BluRay "ripping" may confuse some of those who use Macs all the time. ... Well, to be fair you have MacTheRipper~Handbrake on Mac for DVDs so it's quite straightforward. Can't wait for BluRay ripping eg. Handbrake for Mac to handle it, that would be good. I like going through Doom9 and reading all the techniques but were I to get into BluRay I would love a Handbrake for Mac to handle all of it in one shot.

If you have a Bluray drive you can use MakeMKV. Its for OS X, I don't know how well it works though as I don't have a Bluray drive. It creates an MKV container that can be played with VLC.
  • Reply 234 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Springbok View Post

If you have a Bluray drive you can use MakeMKV. Its for OS X, I don't know how well it works though as I don't have a Bluray drive. It creates an MKV container that can be played with VLC.

There are actually some tools that have been ported to OS X that can be used for part of the process, but it must be started on the Windows side. TSMuxer and FFMpeg are two good ones,but the process is actually still a bit easier on the Windows side. Unless you get a pay package costing large sums of money, your kind of stuck on a mac side, where the Windows side has a full compliment of free and open source software that will do the job nicely.

Things are getting better, but not quite there yet. I'm very disappointed that AVSynth 3.0 fell by the way side. I wouldn't call it completely dead as there is still hope that it will be ported, but it's on it's last breath. A very powerful tool and scripting language for video editing.

At this point you can't rip a protected Blu-Ray on the Mac side. You can demux it once it's ripped, and encode both the video and the audio on OS X, but the Open Source DVD Authoring tools are again lacking AC3 support, which is key. FFMpegX (the FFMpeg GUI) will create a very basic Video_TS folder but lacks polish and flexibility. I'm hoping the recent market gains by Mac will prompt a more active Open Source movement in the Video arena.
  • Reply 235 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You know, "Ben". you're acting more like an uninformed troll everyday ,,, so "unlike you".

If you're going to SPREAD rumors, like you always do, at least TRY to give a few examples, with links, to back up your "claims", unless, of course, you're just trying to START them.

http://www.amfiteatar.org/content/view/155/57/lang,en/

User upgradeable parts: RAM, anything else requires completely disassembling the system.

CPU intel core 2 duo mobile

GPU Nvidia 100 series mobile or Radeon mobility 4850 (Apple routinely assigns a desktop name to a mobile chipset thinking that the current batch of Mac users won't do any research and actually look at the chip ID while in windows)

Chipset Nvidia 9400 mobile.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1811?viewlocale=en_US

User upgradable parts: Hard drive, optical drive, RAM, inverter, airport card, upper fans. Easy to take the back off.

CPU: desktop IBM PPC970 or 970FX

GPU desktop GeForce 5200FX

chipset: Apple U3L (also used in single CPU PowerMac G5)

Lets now examine Apple's current systems.

Macbook Pro:

Designed in way that user can easily upgrade hard drive, optical drive, and RAM. Battery too if it wasn't proprietary. Parts situated for easy cooling

Mac Pro: Easy access to hard drives, RAM, optical drives, and CPUs via doors and trays. Parts situated for easy cooling

iMac and Mac Mini: parts crammed haphazardly into tiny spaces. Require major difficultly to access internal components and replacement requires complete disassembly. Do to crammed nature cooling is less than optimal.

Seems to me that the iMac and Mini are not quite up to Apple standards past or present. However changing them, (especially a flatter mini) would require admitting a mistake.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

.... Apple was worth 11 billion dollars.

Today Apple is worth 180 billion dollars.

You appear to not know what you are talking about or you are just trolling.

What will it be worth when the teenager don't think its cool anymore and the fanboys have driven away every last user who uses OSX for a living. How many times has this platform been sent back down to square one because of arrogance? Won't happen again right? I'm sure they were saying that in the 80s and after the iMac boom.
  • Reply 236 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

He also thought the AppleTV would take off like the iPod. He's been spot on about digital music, but the record on digital video has been spotty at best.
  • Reply 237 of 380
    Blu-Ray, and it's DRM, should hopefully die a horrible death... Give us DRM-free content, or just go away.
  • Reply 238 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I thought his statement was about ripping a disk. Don't need a writable drive for that.

I realized that. Because I didn't get a response, I began to think that he didn't know what he was talking about.

My question now is why would you bother to go the such lengths.

Ripping a Blue-ray disk to your computer takes up a lot of time and more important, space. Having done a lot of ripping in the past, I would think that a 40 GB Blue-ray ripped file is much larger.

And just what is he doing it for? Even if one was reediting, wouldn't you think that a Blue-ray writer would be on the wish list.

Why anybody would sacrifice their Mac just to watch movies via Blue-ray seems like overkill. Considering that there is still issues with the format as even HP acknowledges, an internal BD in any format is wasteful.

As we did for the first few years with DAT, ZIP, CD and DVD, etc., storage, external was the priority until the format became universal. And as we have seen, not all survived.
  • Reply 239 of 380
    Quote:

I realized that. Because I didn't get a response, I began to think that he didn't know what he was talking about.

My question now is why would you bother to go the such lengths.

Ripping a Blue-ray disk to your computer takes up a lot of time and more important, space. Having done a lot of ripping in the past, I would think that a 40 GB Blue-ray ripped file is much larger.

And just what is he doing it for? Even if one was reediting, wouldn't you think that a Blue-ray writer would be on the wish list.

Why anybody would sacrifice their Mac just to watch movies via Blue-ray seems like overkill. Considering that there is still issues with the format as even HP acknowledges, an internal BD in any format is wasteful.

As we did for the first few years with DAT, ZIP, CD and DVD, etc., storage, external was the priority until the format became universal. And as we have seen, not all survived.

The BD files are temporary. Look about 10 posts up and you'll see my reply. I know very well what I'm doing, having written numerous guides on conversions from XviD, DVD, SVCD, Blu-Ray, H.264, Understanding Aspect ratios and resolutions, etc.

http://www.videohelp.com/guides?sear...or+List+Guides
  • Reply 240 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

What will it be worth when the teenager don't think its cool anymore and the fanboys have driven away every last user who uses OSX for a living. How many times has this platform been sent back down to square one because of arrogance? Won't happen again right? I'm sure they were saying that in the 80s and after the iMac boom.

But there really is no "arrogance" (whatever THAT means) to speak of today. No more than anywhere else. There is absolutely no evidence that the consumers reposnsible for Apple's record quarters and record Mac sales are experiencing any "arrogance" from Apple. They're lining up to buy, and continue to line up to buy. Been this way since 2006. Apple's reached a new level of mindshare saturation. The demand fuels itself now. No one can really predict far into the future, but it looks like the Apple train will keep moving for a long time to come. Even without Steve Jobs, Apple continued to execute effectively. Seems the company is one of the best managed in the entire indsutry.

OS X fanboyism is an internet forum phenomenon. It really has no effect outside of it. OS X users are happy with OS X and Apple is selling more Macs than ever. People aren't dumpng Macs because they feel somehow insulted.

Apple continues to be really the only profitable growth-oriented company in tech today, and the singular most important tech company of this generation, bar none. As someone said earlier, Apple's primary advantage is that it's proactive. It leads and the rest follow. This much is clear.