Users report iPod classic issues after iTunes 9 update

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimdouglas View Post

But iTunes 9 has crashed two or three times when opening or navigating within the iTunes store. I don't recall any previous version of iTunes ever crashing.

I?ve encountered the same thing.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimdouglas View Post

I haven't seen any problems synching my 120GB iPod Classic on my Leopard (not Snow Leopard) late 2008 MacBook Pro. But iTunes 9 has crashed two or three times when opening or navigating within the iTunes store. I don't recall any previous version of iTunes ever crashing.

I have had a few freeze ups and lots of spinning-pizza-of-death with itunes 9 which is getting irritating. No ipod or iphone attached, can be triggered by simply navigating in the music library, and doing anything with the genius instantly gets you that dizzy feeling. Apple iTunes discussion forum has many similar comments. Time to downgrade to 8.x and wait for v9.1 This isnt the first time that Apple has rolled out an undercooked version of iTunes - I seem to recall that the early variants of v6 were somewhat useless....

\

macbook 2ghz, 4GB ram, iTunes 9, OS 10.5.8
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My 10-year old saw my iPod 1.0 (yeah, the original classic) lying around and wanted to listen to it. So, on a whim, I decided to update/sync (SL 10.6.1, iTunes 9.0), with no expectation that it would work.

I was really quite taken aback (and my 10-year old quite impressed) by how seamlessly it synced with the new software, and how the darn thing still works like a charm. (Btw, does anyone else think that the sound output quality on the original is way better than the Touch or the iPhone?)

Oh yes, the sound in the original iPod is still the golden standard from all the iPods. The reason is simple : it uses Wolfson DACs and those are renowned for their high quality sound.

Adi
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

Oh yes, the sound in the original iPod is still the golden standard from all the iPods. The reason is simple : it uses Wolfson DACs and those are renowned for their high quality sound.

Adi

You are saying that even with 7 years of advancements the original iPod sounds better than current devices because of the brand of DAC?
  • Reply 45 of 58
    After I upgraded to iTunes 9 it will not allow me to connect to a cd for uploading to iTunes. It gives me a message as follows: "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Any response closes iTunes.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times.

Any thoughts on a fix?
  • Reply 46 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodyb View Post

After I upgraded to iTunes 9 it will not allow me to connect to a cd for uploading to iTunes. It gives me a message as follows: "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Any response closes iTunes.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times.

Any thoughts on a fix?

Create another user and try the app with that new user. If it works then the problem is likely with a preferences setting for your account. If it doesn?t work it?s a system problem of some sort that could be HW to app level.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I guess I need to check my old 5.5th generation iPod. I need to clean the dust off of it. It's actually used as my backup drive for all my iTunes media, pictures and other related content. Always smart to have your information in more than one place.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TG1970 View Post

We have an old 60GB 5th generation and a 80GB iPod Classic and haven't had any problems with iTunes 9 (running 10.6.1) synching either of them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My 10-year old saw my iPod 1.0 (yeah, the original classic) lying around and wanted to listen to it. So, on a whim, I decided to update/sync (SL 10.6.1, iTunes 9.0), with no expectation that it would work.

I was really quite taken aback (and my 10-year old quite impressed) by how seamlessly it synced with the new software, and how the darn thing still works like a charm. (Btw, does anyone else think that the sound output quality on the original is way better than the Touch or the iPhone?)

Haven't tried to resync my 60 GB iPod Photo yet, my jukebox in a car, but these are hopeful signs I'll be able to...
  • Reply 48 of 58
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

This seems like the weakest and most error prone of all the iTunes updates. It seems that Apple got caught rushing out a product and software refresh before they were ready; i.e., iTunes interface missteps; iTunes LP download problems; syncing problems; the iPod Touch not getting a camera, and the iPod nano getting a camera but only video.

I find the interface too all over the place. It was much more logical to read before - well blocked out. Simply go to the iTunes U opage in iTunes and compare them- it hasn't changed there and is so much easier to read.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

You are saying that even with 7 years of advancements the original iPod sounds better than current devices because of the brand of DAC?

Absolutely- you've never heard of this before? And yet people wonder why we'd like a review of the sound when AI reviews an iPod? This is its origin- right there.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    I have more than a dozen iPods. Most iPod video's (30GB, 60GB and 80GB) and 1 iPod classic (160GB) do not show up in iTunes 9. They do show upon the desktop however. iPod touch 1G, iPhone 3G and iPod mini work as before.

This problem is really persistent across OS's. There is no difference when using Leopard, Snow Leopard, XP or Seven. The same iPods mount or don't mount. Must be a driver issue then...

N.B. My MacBook has iTunes 8 on Leopard and XP, and all iPods work fine.

N.B. 2 I posted a bug form with Apple for every separate issue (4 iPods in total).

That 'll teach 'm ;-).
  • Reply 51 of 58
    What a nasty, bug-ridden release. I had to roll back to 8.2 because it was so bad. Check out all the problems here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2151196
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

What a nasty, bug-ridden release. I had to roll back to 8.2 because it was so bad. Check out all the problems here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2151196

I'm one of the unfortunates who hasn't been able to sync my iPod Classic 160gb ('07 era) with iTunes 9.

How does one do a rollback to version 8?
  • Reply 53 of 58
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greigmg View Post

How does one do a rollback to version 8?

I followed instructions here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2157090
  • Reply 54 of 58
    Hi day 4 of no ipod and Im going crazy. I truied itunes 9 and sync up my 80 gig ipod..and it stopped with read errors , cant read disc errors and error 1303. Ive checked other sites, even cnet sees the problem, but no one has an answer. I will continue to persue this... I tried re installing itunes 9 and giot to the letter d this time... Please help...APPLE dont disappoint us.

greg

[email protected]
  • Reply 55 of 58
    My 80 gig classic and my girlfriend's 30 gig video pod were both messed up to the point of being completely non-functional. Her's was constantly disconnecting whilst synching. Mine was having synch problems so I tried to restore it, but it wouldn't restore, kept saying that it was a corrupted disk. Then I checked it and it had 0 songs on it and 0 kb of space available. I tried several times to restore it but always got error messages. Finally tried the ipods on itunes 8 and was able to restore both to perfect working condition. We're both on the latest version of snow leopard, and the problem occurred with the latest version of itunes 9. I'd caution anyone with an older ipod to stay away from itunes 9!
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homelessfrog View Post

My 80 gig classic and my girlfriend's 30 gig video pod were both messed up to the point of being completely non-functional. Her's was constantly disconnecting whilst synching. Mine was having synch problems so I tried to restore it, but it wouldn't restore, kept saying that it was a corrupted disk. Then I checked it and it had 0 songs on it and 0 kb of space available. I tried several times to restore it but always got error messages. Finally tried the ipods on itunes 8 and was able to restore both to perfect working condition. We're both on the latest version of snow leopard, and the problem occurred with the latest version of itunes 9. I'd caution anyone with an older ipod to stay away from itunes 9!

I hadn't updated my trusty car juke box (60 GB iPod Photo) in an age - probably with iTunes 7. When I got busy and added a ton of music and tuned my lists, iTunes 8 on XP didn't detect it at all.

So I downloaded iTunes 9. And then it detected it. Detected it as corrupted that is (it wasn't at least before being connected to iTunes) and asked me to restore it.

After about an hour I decided it wasn't working and had to manually disconnect. The next time it showed as a working, but empty iPod. I retransferred music (it said it had room, and then at the end of three hours of loading, decided it didn't and told me it had failed to load a few hundred cuts). Next, when I had reconfigged my play lists and such to cut them down and connected again, it told me the Pod was corrupt again.

This time it managed to do and acknowledged a restore - to factory defaults this time. Once more showing a mathematical issue, somehow, the 53 gigs I'd selected became 55 during loading (album art and such - all that "stuff" in the orange section of the bar?? Or....??) but it finished - with only about 20 MB to spare!

So it took about 15 hours to update in this dance, but on the other hand I now have a working Pod with my best lists to date, and given the unhappy alternatives, nothing to do but count my frustrated blessing I suppose.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homelessfrog View Post

I hadn't updated my trusty car juke box (60 GB iPod Photo) in an age - probably with iTunes 7. When I got busy and added a ton of music and tuned my lists, iTunes 8 on XP didn't detect it at all.

So I downloaded iTunes 9. And then it detected it. Detected it as corrupted that is (it wasn't at least before being connected to iTunes) and asked me to restore it.

After about an hour I decided it wasn't working and had to manually disconnect. The next time it showed as a working, but empty iPod. I retransferred music (it said it had room, and then at the end of three hours of loading, decided it didn't and told me it had failed to load a few hundred cuts). Next, when I had reconfigged my play lists and such to cut them down and connected again, it told me the Pod was corrupt again.

This time it managed to do and acknowledged a restore - to factory defaults this time. Once more showing a mathematical issue, somehow, the 53 gigs I'd selected became 55 during loading (album art and such - all that "stuff" in the orange section of the bar?? Or....??) but it finished - with only about 20 MB to spare!

So it took about 15 hours to update in this dance, but on the other hand I now have a working Pod with my best lists to date, and given the unhappy alternatives, nothing to do but count my frustrated blessings I suppose. \
  • Reply 58 of 58
    Hello,

this is my first post here at Apple Insider

I work as an Advisor for Apple and I can attest to the numerous issues regarding the 9 version of iTunes.

One day last week, I have to guess 50% of my calls were from customers who updated to iTunes 9 then upon syncing their iPod Classic was completely erased, then reported as "corrupt" and in need of restore (which was impossible since clicking the alert confirmation prompted the iPod to disappear from "devices") and which "disk mode" did not facilitate its discovery in iTunes.

The next most common issue is the disappearing library.