Google says Voice was "rejected" from iPhone App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

I love Google, but don't feel like they should have the right to invade every piece of technology I own. Apple should maintain the right to control apps for it's own phone. The carriers have done this for years.

If you want Google Voice - make a choice - iPhone or Android. That's what capitalism and a free economy is all about - choice.

Then why are you arguing against Google? It seems Apple's decision is patently anti-choice. Thanks to them, I don't get to choose whether GV gets to be on my device or not. They've made the choice for me, assuming I owned an iPhone.

Also, Google isn't exactly invading the iPhone. If you don't like the GV app, don't buy it and it won't be on your iPhone. It's as simple as that.
  • Reply 22 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icesnake View Post

The only way AT&T could get even worse PR would be to fire all their own customer service reps and hire Sprint's CS department.

Their network sucks; their network coverage is laughable; they have delayed MMS for the iPhone (presumably because their network infrastructure is wimpy and can't handle the projected load) for 3 years now, even though every other even halfway-smart phone on the AT&T network already has it; they delay voicemail and SMS messages for hours when they don't simply drop them completely; and they overcharge users of the AT&T cellular network, something like 500% to get *less* service than somewhat similar plans in Europe.

Well, I guess AT&T could be caught stealing babies from hospitals and eating them, and that might make their PR worse than it is. Although frankly, I doubt it.

Up until this GV debacle, AT&T was the dealbreaker for me getting an iPhone. Now it's AT&T *and* Apple. And for the record, I hate Microsoft and think Steve Ballmer will teach the Antichrist everything he'll ever know. But right now, the Apple/AT&T "marriage made in Hell" looks worse to me.

Maybe Kanye West should bust into Jobs' office and tell him how Verizon is better...
  • Reply 23 of 98
    It's amazing how many people want google to control their phone numbers and phone calls, sorry I don't need google to control all of my numbers etc., *shrug* I'm not paranoid god knows the phone company is bad enough, but they ARE the phone companies not a search engine / software company.

Personally I don't care about this piece of software, google doesn't need to record and store my voice mails etc., email is one thing, but just no on the rest of it.

I have to say if you people that are pissed off and saying fck apple care that much just go get an Android phone and you'll be sticking it apple and att in the pocket as well as brand loyalty, problem solved.

Well off to watch a car commercial on my Zune before I can play solitaire =D ROFL
  • Reply 24 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

I have to say if you people that are pissed off and saying fck apple care that much just go get an Android phone and you'll be sticking it apple and att in the pocket as well as brand loyalty, problem solved.

You say this as if people are not already aware of this solution and actively considering it.

And really, please don't imply that there is any relation whatsoever between Android and Zune. It's stupid. I just don't understand why you would bring Zune in to further muddy a very muddy conversation. It's not like Android will 'catch' Zune's absurdism simply by virtue of both not being Apple platforms.
  • Reply 25 of 98
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It was rejected. The honeymoon is over.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    If Apple or AT&T was willing to let me out of my contract to do that + refund my money for the phone I bought so I could replace with the phone that allows GV because that's my preference then that would be an option. The fact of the matter is Apple is not allowing me to choose what software to run on my phone and I have a huge problem with that.. I now understand the need for jailbrakers to have control of their devices and why I just chose to do the same with mine.. This really grinds my gears...
  • Reply 27 of 98
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Not their users.

Yes, their users. Apple's decision regarding the iphone affect their users. Therefore if they feel their users would be confused by having an alternative phone app (ignoring for the moment the multitude they have approved) they yes, they feel their customers are stupid enough to be so confused.

Quote:

As Jobs said right, the iPhone must be a phone first. And unlike all the cell phones that where being sold at the time, making a call and maintaining it for any degree of time was virtually impossible.

I never had any problems on any phone over the last 10 years with maintaining calls. If there are problems, it is likely the network. Just as your own network, Rogers, had massive problems supporting the sudden load on their network when the 3G launched, resulting in lots of dropped calls, hours and days late VVM notifications and calls not coming through at all.

Anyway, a completely irrelevant point, given that the iPhone phone app would still be fully available to all users, regardless of having GV installed.

Quote:

Like the Mac, Apple has by design, ensured a degree of assurance that is not seen with any operating hardware/system. You want to develop applications, you best abide by the rules. Of which the iPhone SDK is well and comprehensively described. And complying to such is mandatory.

1) You bring up the Mac to make your point, but again, totally off point. You want to write an app for the Mac? You are free to do so and anyone that chooses to buy and run it is also free to do so.

2)And the iPhone SDK is well documented, but is also applied inconsistently. this does not appear to be a conflict with the SDK, but if it is (because of duplication), then there are a tonne of apps that got through anyway.

Quote:

You buy a Chevy and want to add a supercharger, that is your prerogative. Chances are GM will even help you screw up, it cost little to recover. Try doing the same with a Lamborghini.

My car, my decision.

Quote:

P.S. You really don't know what is implied re 'replacing the core apps.'

yeah, we do. And it doesn't mean removing.
  • Reply 28 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luckyw View Post

Seriously, if they pull this same crap on OSX, I'd walk away immediately. Imagine no choices in Mail or Browser software on your computer.

Ok then, install Windows via Bootcamp and see you later, you just turned your Mac into a PC, cry to Microsoft for your security and privacy concerns.

The iPhone is different in the fact that there is third party carriers network security and users privacy involved, something that Apple is responsible for.

A app that gets so widely adopted that replaces Apple's core programs is a security concern, namely who is responsible if the app fails or there is a security breach. If Google just throws up it's hands and says "it's not our fault" then yes that is a issue because Apple approved the app.

Also Google has considerably less attention to users privacy than Apple has. Google tracks and saves everything a user does online, which websites they visit, what they enter in the Google search bar, what people click on etc. They are pushing for everyone to do everything online, even run apps and keep sensitive files "in the cloud".

What is preventing a future up date from collecting everyone's data? If Apple pulls some sh*t like that, people will stop buying their hardware. But what will stop Google? They got Uncle Sam in their pocket.

It has to do with the different directions the two companies are following, Apple is concerned with it's hardware base of users and Google is interested in collecting as much information on everyone as possible because they make their money from marketing information and it's chief customer, the US Government snoops.

It's a difficult situation but I'm sure Apple and Google will work everything out.
  • Reply 29 of 98
    Wasn't Google accused of rejecting a fully functional Skype app as well? I seem to recall Google being accused of doing the same thing. Does anyone know what the outcome of that was?

Thanks
  • Reply 30 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

It's reading stories like this that I really miss "As the Apple Turns."

so true! whatever happened to it?
  • Reply 31 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

Duplication of functionality... really? Give me a break.

Calculator apps galore... VOIP apps galore... HOW IS GOOGLE VOICE ANY DIFFERENT?

You're really exaggerating/misrepresenting the comparison here.

A calculator is just a calculator, Google Voice takes over (both functionally and visually) the core function and features of the device. It's not a fair comparison to say they are the same thing.

It's also fair to say that this is a completely unique situation. There are no other devices that could rightfully be referred to as "computers" running "software" that are really in the same situation as the iPhone. The closest analogy would be a desktop OS having it's core functionality (finder?), completely replaced by a third party product, but even that is quite a different situation in some very key ways also.

Personally, I think they should differentiate the software in the store by device in this case. There is no rational argument against using Google voice on the iPod touch for instance. Apple's entire argument rests on the idea that we are talking only about the iPhone.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

I wonder how Google would feel about Apple building a version of Safari for a phone on the Android platform?

I love Google, but don't feel like they should have the right to invade every piece of technology I own. Apple should maintain the right to control apps for it's own phone. The carriers have done this for years.

If you want Google Voice - make a choice - iPhone or Android. That's what capitalism and a free economy is all about - choice.

...and monogamy is about promiscuity.
  • Reply 33 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icesnake View Post

That's an amazingly ignorant question. Android is open-source; even if Google *wanted* to stop development of Safari for Android, it would be impossible to do so, short of hunting down and killing every Safari developer on the planet.

and if anyone knows where they are - it's google!
  • Reply 34 of 98
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The iPhone is different in the fact that there is third party carriers network security involved, something that Apple is responsible for.

And how GV can be harmful to carriers network security?

Any WinMo phone, Blacberry phone, Palm phone has been a treat to network security?
  • Reply 35 of 98
    I liked Apple better when they were the little company that could. Now, they're quickly become something just as ugly as Microsoft, IMO.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Wasn't Google accused of rejecting a fully functional Skype app as well? I seem to recall Google being accused of doing the same thing. Does anyone know what the outcome of that was?

Thanks

No, it was FUD. Android 1.0 didn't had VoIP capabilities, they were introduced in 1.5.

Skype responded that they doen't have developed the application yet.
  • Reply 37 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Yes, their users. Apple's decision regarding the iphone affect their users. Therefore if they feel their users would be confused by having an alternative phone app (ignoring for the moment the multitude they have approved) they yes, they feel their customers are stupid enough to be so confused.

Apple never said that it did or would.

As stated in Apple's response to the FCC:

"The application has not been approved because, as submitted for review, it appears to alter the iPhone?s distinctive user experience by replacing the iPhone?s core mobile telephone functionality?The Google Voice application replaces Apple?s Visual Voicemail by routing calls through a separate Google Voice telephone number that stores any voicemail, preventing voicemail from being stored on the iPhone, i.e., disabling Apple?s Visual Voicemail.
  • Reply 38 of 98
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Personally, I think they should differentiate the software in the store by device in this case. There is no rational argument against using Google voice on the iPod touch for instance. Apple's entire argument rests on the idea that we are talking only about the iPhone.

Except that it wouldn't work on the iPod.

Google Voice calls still go through as voice calls. You could use the iPod app to initiate calls that then connect your phone to the party you wish to call.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    What nonsense. It's Apple's phone, UI and App Store and they can do whatever they want with it. Case closed.
  • Reply 40 of 98
    Quote:

Apple never said that it did or would.

As stated in Apple's response to the FCC:

"The application has not been approved because, as submitted for review, it appears to alter the iPhone?s distinctive user experience by replacing the iPhone?s core mobile telephone functionality?The Google Voice application replaces Apple?s Visual Voicemail by routing calls through a separate Google Voice telephone number that stores any voicemail, preventing voicemail from being stored on the iPhone, i.e., disabling Apple?s Visual Voicemail.

And this is half a lie, if someone calls you with YOUR iPhone number, it's routed to iPhone Visual Voicemail.