For students, Windows 7 will equal Snow Leopard's price

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

They'd have to be paying students to buy this crap. And this is no joke. Like apple's pub. department said nothing is a bargain when what you buy can't actually do what you want it to do. These kids have tough and shit ty times ahead of them, some of them little do they know about the spyware, the malware, the viruses, the pop ups, the dll hell, the registry, the settings mess... like some of us before them, they will learn the hard way, when their photos get corrupted, when that paper they were writing vanishes out of thin air from a blue screen of death, when ms abuses and forces them to countless moronic updates, when they can't plain and simple clone their whole system and end up restoring from tiresome manual backups, for those that actually bother to back up in the ms way, when their mobile phone gives them a trashy interchange of data with their computer, when, when, when...and maybe some of them will get wiser with time and see through all the lies about compatibility and user base, and get a mac and then they 'll be able to do what they care instead of catering to a crappy os's problems.

Oh and what about the antivirus, who's gonna top the extra $40.

And of course it goes without without saying that the students will have free ms phone support for an hour, and every hour next will be $15/h.

And what about the students that want to buy 7 after January. Won't they need textbooks for the second term?

MS is very considerate at offering students sub par products either crippled by an expiration date (as in the rc candidate) or crippled by an expiration of the offer. Most of which students they have ripped time and again with such generous prices as $150 for ms office and $150 for an os like vista that rendered their machines slow as dogs and obsolete, actually forcing them to spend another $700 or so for a new computer.

How generous and considerate. That's microsoft, generous and considerate, always. Here's a lovely app for your zune hd, chess, you can play chess, can you believe how advanced and generous we ms are to give you chess, just sit tight and enjoy...not chess of course, that won't be for another minute...enjoy a tv add brought to you by the creators of microsoft bob, clippy and other dead computer animated characters.

But maybe any student dumb enough or gullible enough to shop anything from ms nowadays deserves no better...no I take that back. Students are kids some of them, and they deserve better treatment not taking advantage of their naivete and forcing them to buy junk like netbooks that will cripple their spine and destroy their eyesight, or 7 that will force open a new generation a far inferior platform than the open source alternatives or mac os x.

someone needs a hug...
  • Reply 82 of 122
    I'll probably be biting on this as XP just can't do what I need it to anymore and I'm not at all a fan of Vista that I'm running on my HTPC right now. If XP could handle 8GB of RAM (well, I guess 64-bit XP could...) and hard drive capacities of 2TB+ I would have never upgraded in the first place.
  • Reply 83 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The disk costs extra.

"Rather than mailing a disc, the software will be made available for students to download in either 32- or 64-bit versions. The Web site's FAQ recommends that those looking to do a clean install of the operating system buy a Windows 7 backup DVD."

It is a great deal though.

For me to poop on!
  • Reply 84 of 122
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The legality of installing the $29.99 version of 10.6 as a replacement for 10.4 isn't quite as clear as it might first seem.

As I understand it, nowhere on the outside of the box does it say that owning 10.5 is a requirement. Thus, even if that requirement is written into the EULA, it still might not apply. The enforceability of certain EULA stipulations is currently being disputed in the US.

Also, keep in mind that other countries are less generous to corporations when it comes to what is enforceable via an EULA. Hence, in some countries, what Apple puts in the EULA doesn't apply.
  • Reply 85 of 122
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Download and install a whole new OS?

What could possibly go wrong...

Optical media is so 1995, all the cool kids are DLing the ISO, and making bootable thumbdrives...it makes the install much faster, 5x or more.

It also makes it easier for netbooks and other pcs without optical drives...
  • Reply 86 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

The legality of installing the $29.99 version of 10.6 as a replacement for 10.4 isn't quite as clear as it might first seem.

As I understand it, nowhere on the outside of the box does it say that owning 10.5 is a requirement. Thus, even if that requirement is written into the EULA, it still might not apply. The enforceability of certain EULA stipulations is currently being disputed in the US.

Also, keep in mind that other countries are less generous to corporations when it comes to what is enforceable via an EULA. Hence, in some countries, what Apple puts in the EULA doesn't apply.

Yes. While you are all bending forwards and backwards into pretzels because of the EULA, Steve Jobs is sitting in his chair thinking: "I can't believe these people... we almost tell them: look, install it for free! We want as much people as possible using SL! And those mo... still don't do it."
  • Reply 87 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Yes. While you are all bending forwards and backwards into pretzels because of the EULA, Steve Jobs is sitting in his chair thinking: "I can't believe these people... we almost tell them: look, install it for free! We want as much people as possible using SL! And those mo... still don't do it."

Who's bending forward and backwards?

Seems more like bar-stool-lawyering to me. By the third beer, we've already moved on to more important things... like solving world peace.
  • Reply 88 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

They'd have to be paying students to buy this crap. And this is no joke. Like apple's pub. department said nothing is a bargain when what you buy can't actually do what you want it to do. These kids have tough and shit ty times ahead of them, some of them little do they know about the spyware, the malware, the viruses, the pop ups, the dll hell, the registry, the settings mess... like some of us before them, they will learn the hard way, when their photos get corrupted, when that paper they were writing vanishes out of thin air from a blue screen of death, when ms abuses and forces them to countless moronic updates, when they can't plain and simple clone their whole system and end up restoring from tiresome manual backups, for those that actually bother to back up in the ms way, when their mobile phone gives them a trashy interchange of data with their computer, when, when, when...and maybe some of them will get wiser with time and see through all the lies about compatibility and user base, and get a mac and then they 'll be able to do what they care instead of catering to a crappy os's problems.

Oh and what about the antivirus, who's gonna top the extra $40.

And of course it goes without without saying that the students will have free ms phone support for an hour, and every hour next will be $15/h.

And what about the students that want to buy 7 after January. Won't they need textbooks for the second term?

MS is very considerate at offering students sub par products either crippled by an expiration date (as in the rc candidate) or crippled by an expiration of the offer. Most of which students they have ripped time and again with such generous prices as $150 for ms office and $150 for an os like vista that rendered their machines slow as dogs and obsolete, actually forcing them to spend another $700 or so for a new computer.

How generous and considerate. That's microsoft, generous and considerate, always. Here's a lovely app for your zune hd, chess, you can play chess, can you believe how advanced and generous we ms are to give you chess, just sit tight and enjoy...not chess of course, that won't be for another minute...enjoy a tv add brought to you by the creators of microsoft bob, clippy and other dead computer animated characters.

But maybe any student dumb enough or gullible enough to shop anything from ms nowadays deserves no better...no I take that back. Students are kids some of them, and they deserve better treatment not taking advantage of their naivete and forcing them to buy junk like netbooks that will cripple their spine and destroy their eyesight, or 7 that will force open a new generation a far inferior platform than the open source alternatives or mac os x.

I'm a big Apple fan but this post is a little ridiculous...you act as if Apple has made every OS offering $29. This is the first! Every other OS, upgrade or not was $130 iirc. I'm going to ignore everything else in your post, you sound like Microsoft has beaten you with a crowbar for the last ten years and you're on the point of a mental breakdown..

EDIT: PS, guess what app comes on every OSX system? Chess. Go into spotlight, find out for yourself. No ads but you went into detail about how MS must be so stupid for giving anyone Chess. Someone needs to chill out.
  • Reply 89 of 122
    Windows 7 is just as fast as Snow Leopard ( I own both). Anyone who says otherwise hasn't touched Windows 7 and opinions are based purely on preconceived notions about Windows, or they have no idea how to manage a windows OS and install garbage like Weatherbug and Ask.com tool bars.

Performance issues come from installing programs with viruses, maleware and/or programs which are resource hogs. For ex: if you install Norton AV don't complain about receiving performance issues, it's because NAV is a resource hog... that's your fault for installing it. Also don't bitch if you download every random application you come across that sounds cool, do the research before you start installing crap. I haven't had a complete Windows lockup since XP... so that whole idea that Windows is less stable, probably your fault. As a matter of fact the last full lockup I had was under OSX.

To be clear I enjoy both OS, love my MacBook Pro and my PC that i put together.
  • Reply 90 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post

Windows 7 is just as fast as Snow Leopard ( I own both). Anyone who says otherwise hasn't touched Windows 7 and opinions are based purely on preconceived notions about Windows, or they have no idea how to manage a windows OS and install garbage like Weatherbug and Ask.com tool bars.

Performance issues come from installing programs with viruses, maleware and/or programs which are resource hogs. For ex: if you install Norton AV don't complain about receiving performance issues, it's because NAV is a resource hog... that's your fault for installing it. Also don't bitch if you download every random application you come across that sounds cool, do the research before you start installing crap. I haven't had a complete Windows lockup since XP... so that whole idea that Windows is less stable, probably your fault. As a matter of fact the last full lockup I had was under OSX.

Your argument seems to be that because windows7 can be administered in a manner that results in a fast user experience, then it qualifies as fast. What about normal usage though? Many people are more concerned about that. Because, after all, they're exactly the type of people that install the wrong software.

For the record though, I'm looking forward to Windows 7. OS competition is a good thing for everyone.
  • Reply 91 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I would suggest that the majority of boot camp users don't "sit in windows all day" but rather only go there when they are forced to by circumstance. The mere fact that they bought a mac in the first place should have given you a hint that the Mac OS was their "weapon of choice". Logic, my friend, logic.

I agree, for me boot camp was a last resort for the few windows games I play. But for my boys, they define their computing experience (90% of it at least) by the games they play on the computer. This is why, for them, the machine would stay in boot camp most of the time. Waste of a good mac if you ask me.

And to keep this true to my original post, I think it's crazy that Microsoft only offers a discount for college students, and not younger ages. I think Apple has it right offering a discount to elementary/high school teachers/students.
  • Reply 92 of 122
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

I've started to notice my Windows 7 RC1 machine slow down, and it isn't due to new programs, because I haven't installed anything for a long time. Part of it might have to do with my SSD's slowing down, I need to get the new firmware that addresses that problem, but that requires me to to take them out of Raid0 so that the installer can see them. I plan on doing that when I get a retail version of Win 7 and wipe my drives, but it shouldn't take longer for my computer to connect to the internet after a startup now when compared to a month or two ago. I enjoy Win7 but it has reminded me of a few reasons why I switched to mac, and user account control blows. Why can't it remember your answer to the same question. Your only options are, have it ask all the time, or turn it off. Well I guess you can also choose whether or not the screen dims when UAC pops up....
  • Reply 93 of 122
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Academic licensing stinks - what happens when students graduate?

That's something many are unaware of. Once you graduate and want to use it, even to teach say, you have to pay the full price ( Home and Student editions don't cover teachers). Of course many places have site licenses but if you don't fall under that setup you want to be careful before locking yourself into software. This is, of course, the great appeal of open source software.

pmcd
  • Reply 94 of 122
    Quote:

you can post a video on youtube starting up both systems and show us how fast they are

your post reeks of bullshit

maybe they are as fast if you run windows on a computer with double as much processor speed and ram and run half as many programs

cannot believe people still compare windows with snow leopard
  • Reply 95 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

you can post a video on youtube starting up both systems and show us how fast they are

your post reeks of bullshit

maybe they are as fast if you run windows on a computer with double as much processor speed and ram and run half as many programs

cannot believe people still compare windows with snow leopard

This is ludicrous asking someone to do a youtuble, you ask something that would be time consuming knowing that he is unlikely to do it and therefore you think you won your point.

He is right in his observations about it being as fast!
  • Reply 96 of 122
    Where are the idiot MSFT fans who kept saying Snow Leopard was a patch (update) and why is Apple charging for a patch? Doesn't this make it official that Win-7 is also a so-called "patch" when offering it for the same price, albeit to only college students, because they are too greedy to give all their users an affordable price.
  • Reply 97 of 122
    now, Apple has to open a retail on every campus. Freaking textbooks cost more than a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 98 of 122
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I've started to notice my Windows 7 RC1 machine slow down, and it isn't due to new programs, because I haven't installed anything for a long time. Part of it might have to do with my SSD's slowing down, I need to get the new firmware that addresses that problem, but that requires me to to take them out of Raid0 so that the installer can see them. I plan on doing that when I get a retail version of Win 7 and wipe my drives, but it shouldn't take longer for my computer to connect to the internet after a startup now when compared to a month or two ago. I enjoy Win7 but it has reminded me of a few reasons why I switched to mac, and user account control blows. Why can't it remember your answer to the same question. Your only options are, have it ask all the time, or turn it off. Well I guess you can also choose whether or not the screen dims when UAC pops up....

they fixed a lot of things in the RTM. the Windows XP mode was slow and buggy in RC and is nice and fast in the RTM version
  • Reply 99 of 122
    Or.....

You can go to dreamspark.com and download a full, legit copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (RTM, FINAL Version, not the RC). Dreamspark allows you to download allot of microsoft software for free if you have a ,edu e-mail address.

You can install Server 2008 and not install any server roles, then add the theme pack and start the theme service and BOOM! You have Winodws 7.

Windows Server 2008 R2 runs very stable and runs exactly like Windows 7. If you don't install any roles (Exchange, Active Directory etc) then you have a very lean running machine.
  • Reply 100 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Well not exactly - I bought a new printer to replace my trusty old Apple LaserWriter 630 Pro - which only supports Apple Talk - which somehow got left out of Snow Leopard.

Actually it was a used printer and I only paid $200 for it but had to replace a few parts - and it is much bigger than the 630 - with duplex and 11x17.

Given the LaserWriter 630 Pro was discontinued by Apple back in 1994 and AppleTalk support ont he PC side was limited and its required mac support had fallen of a cliff it is no surprise that support for it was "somehow" get left out of Snow Leopard.