Apple's tablet will be more than a niche product - report

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 238
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

....; if I use a mouse, pain comes after just about ten minutes.

Stop playing with your mouse! I hear it causes blindness too.

Sorry couldn't resist. I don't want to under cut the message here though, repetitive stress injuries suck big time. We get a lot of that at work.

Dave
  • Reply 222 of 238
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Plenty of research has been done on finger vs stylus based interaction... Nib-equipped thimble-styluses, redundant screens so that screen content can be viewed with or without the finger in the way, shifted point of focus (as you suggested), electro-static tactile feedback, audible feedback, relative vs absolute positioning devices, etc, etc.

What do you think of swype? I haven't had a chance to try that yet.
  • Reply 223 of 238
    Should the tablet be just another computer ?

Another browser on your palm ?

Come on guys n gals - Apple is much too savvy at thinking different to know better.

Could it be a remote to the new version of Apple TV ?

Could it be the home automation missing link of a remote - which communicates thru WiFi instead of infrared to control many other devices ?

Could it come out as a piece in the puzzle of home automation suite ?

Could it be a gaming machine like the ipod touch - except that it holds your view of the online game that is delivered thru the apple TV - or your private cachet display (like a scrabble hand) and the game itself on the TV with the game hosted in a server connected to and accessed by apple tv ?

Think different folks !
  • Reply 224 of 238
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvosx View Post

Come on guys n gals - Apple is much too savvy at thinking different to know better.

Could it be the home automation missing link of a remote - which communicates thru WiFi instead of infrared to control many other devices ?

Could it be a gaming machine like the ipod touch - except that it holds your view of the online game that is delivered thru the apple TV - or your private cachet display (like a scrabble hand) and the game itself on the TV with the game hosted in a server connected to and accessed by apple tv ?

Think different folks !

You're the one not thinking different.
  • Reply 225 of 238
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Think different folks !

It seems to me that anything that can be computerized can run on anything that's fast enough and has a screen that will display the required information. The controls are easily done with virtual systems. We had these things over 15 years ago on our lab test equipment such as my Hp digital scope. Soft keys.

I don't even have to think different anymore, it's all been done by Apple already.

Right now, it's just going to spread into more devices of differing sizes and power. Look at the iPhone. It can already do almost anything. You wouldn't believe the breath of apps available.

I have professional audio apps for measuring and testing. I have a photo app that lets me control my camera attached to my computer over WiFi. I've got an app for inclination and declination of the sun for video anywhere in the world at any time. Now Farmers Insurance has come out with a free program for its customers that lets you contact your agent from the scene, take photos, fill out the forms right there. You can take photo's of things in your home for insurance, and e-mail them right to the company etc.

One town even came up with a pothole reporting program. Take a photo of the pothole, send it to the city with a location tag.

A medical program that with a sensor checks your blood when you're diabetic and sends the information right to the doctors office, and gives you much information all day long if you need it about your condition.

The question isn't what you can do, it's really what can't you do? That's the question that no one has an answer for.
  • Reply 226 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It seems to me that anything that can be computerized can run on anything that's fast enough and has a screen that will display the required information. The controls are easily done with virtual systems. We had these things over 15 years ago on our lab test equipment such as my Hp digital scope. Soft keys.

I don't even have to think different anymore, it's all been done by Apple already.

Right now, it's just going to spread into more devices of differing sizes and power. Look at the iPhone. It can already do almost anything. You wouldn't believe the breath of apps available.

I have professional audio apps for measuring and testing. I have a photo app that lets me control my camera attached to my computer over WiFi. I've got an app for inclination and declination of the sun for video anywhere in the world at any time. Now Farmers Insurance has come out with a free program for its customers that lets you contact your agent from the scene, take photos, fill out the forms right there. You can take photo's of things in your home for insurance, and e-mail them right to the company etc.

One town even came up with a pothole reporting program. Take a photo of the pothole, send it to the city with a location tag.

A medical program that with a sensor checks your blood when you're diabetic and sends the information right to the doctors office, and gives you much information all day long if you need it about your condition.

The question isn't what you can do, it's really what can't you do? That's the question that no one has an answer for.

Sure man. Not disputing that. Just that the tablet alone as another handheld mac as being portrayed largely may not quite be in the radar. The ensemble of apps and solutions around it is what I wanted us to bring some ideas around.

Like, are there any apps you want to see on it - any solutions using that ? I know any app can be written for the iphone and lots do exist - but how can a tablet be of use around such a solution - or as part of a solution to a problem that the iphone can't solve ?

For example, a community contributing traffic update is one thing I can think of - combined with GPS this can be quite useful for everyone. But that can be done with the iphone too of course.

In that case it only makes the case stronger for NOT having a tablet offering. Is that why apple did not put out a tablet yet ? I have seen Nokia 770, 800, 810 etc. come and go with not much of a crazy following (sure fanbois exist for everything - in general i mean) - much like the iphone.

So, if Apple is thinking of having some interesting ideas for a tablet, it would not be "just" yet another mac - what would it be ?

Ireland - I am not against difference of opinion - you need to specify how though - much like melgross.

Thanks guys/gals.
  • Reply 227 of 238
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I chuckled when I read Ireland's response... I had just refrained from posting something quite similar.

Your post somewhat admonished everyone for failing to think of things or failing to think different. Ironically, the uses you listed have already been mentioned numerous times, most of them even in this thread. Many of them have already been implemented on desktop OSes or smart phones. What was it we need to think different about?

It seems that there are a large number of people who are under the mistaken impression that tablets are new and unknown territory. This simply isn't the case. They've been around for a long time and have been heavily researched by pretty much every major hardware and software company along with all major universities.

The problem is that the form factor isn't optimal for tasks such as... data entry. Because so many people need to do things like data entry, tablets are only useful in niche environments or as auxiliary computing devices. Thus it's my prediction that when the hardware is cheap enough, we'll start seeing them used in various scenarios, while full blown computers continue to be used for most of the tasks they're used for today.

Iti s great to be excited and to share ideas. I too am excited by possibilities such as those mentioned in your post. But at the same time, the rest of us don't need to be told that we're oblivious or somehow involved in group think. Some people here have been having this very conversation for over a decade.
  • Reply 228 of 238
    Very much looking forward to the new apple tablet ... although it would not be a tablet and would not compete in the traditional tablet category

2010 is too far away ... release it now \ please
  • Reply 229 of 238
    Quote:

Sure man. Not disputing that. Just that the tablet alone as another handheld mac as being portrayed largely may not quite be in the radar. The ensemble of apps and solutions around it is what I wanted us to bring some ideas around.

Like, are there any apps you want to see on it - any solutions using that ? I know any app can be written for the iphone and lots do exist - but how can a tablet be of use around such a solution - or as part of a solution to a problem that the iphone can't solve ?

For example, a community contributing traffic update is one thing I can think of - combined with GPS this can be quite useful for everyone. But that can be done with the iphone too of course.

In that case it only makes the case stronger for NOT having a tablet offering. Is that why apple did not put out a tablet yet ? I have seen Nokia 770, 800, 810 etc. come and go with not much of a crazy following (sure fanbois exist for everything - in general i mean) - much like the iphone.

So, if Apple is thinking of having some interesting ideas for a tablet, it would not be "just" yet another mac - what would it be ?

Ireland - I am not against difference of opinion - you need to specify how though - much like melgross.

Thanks guys/gals.

This is why I said that Apple's already done the thinking different for us. They've supplied the general purpose computer and OS.

Honestly, offhand I can't think of anything special. Out of imagination for the time being.

What I am finding though is that I read of so many apps that I would like that are written by others, that I sometimes get the feeling that whatever it is, someone is already working on it. 85,000 apps already.

The main advantage to a tablet is the screen area. Sometimes, the screen is just too small. Presenting information on a small 480 x 320 screen is just too difficult sometimes.

Also, possibly we can get full multitasking on a tablet.

If Apple does it right, I'm sure we'll see the incredible developer community we have come up with even more amazing stuff we would never thought of. I don't know how better to answer you.
  • Reply 230 of 238
    Quote:

I chuckled when I read Ireland's response... I had just refrained from posting something quite similar.

Your post somewhat admonished everyone for failing to think of things or failing to think different. Ironically, the uses you listed have already been mentioned numerous times, most of them even in this thread. Many of them have already been implemented on desktop OSes or smart phones. What was it we need to think different about?

It seems that there are a large number of people who are under the mistaken impression that tablets are new and unknown territory. This simply isn't the case. They've been around for a long time and have been heavily researched by pretty much every major hardware and software company along with all major universities.

The problem is that the form factor isn't optimal for tasks such as... data entry. Because so many people need to do things like data entry, tablets are only useful in niche environments or as auxiliary computing devices. Thus it's my prediction that when the hardware is cheap enough, we'll start seeing them used in various scenarios, while full blown computers continue to be used for most of the tasks they're used for today.

Iti s great to be excited and to share ideas. I too am excited by possibilities such as those mentioned in your post. But at the same time, the rest of us don't need to be told that we're oblivious or somehow involved in group think. Some people here have been having this very conversation for over a decade.

The difference is that the technology is far better now.

Let's face it, the old tablets such as the Grid, didn't have the oomph they needed to break away from the usual way of doing things.

The latest tablets use a tired version of Windows with some tablet extensions. Big deal. That's not going to get anyone excited.

The hardware manufacturers didn't help either. They were too afraid to break from the past, and just offered heavy laptops that have swiveling screens.

Multitouch is the first new software technology that has a real application to a tablet.

Hardware has progressed enough as well. So has battery technology, though it's still not where we need it to be. But that will also be changing quickly.

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&client=safari

I'm hoping Apple uses these soon. Sorry about the page, but it's cached. The EETimes servers aren't coming up.
  • Reply 231 of 238
    Quote:

*Zing!™
  • Reply 232 of 238
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    What Apple should do as a tablet or besides a tablet, is a full pocketable Mac OS X computer with video-out and USB 2 for full-blown presentations from NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint files.

Something like the xpPhone, without the phone side and with Mac in it:

http://www.xpphone.com/en/product/configuration.html
  • Reply 233 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

What Apple should do as a tablet or besides a tablet, is a full pocketable Mac OS X computer with video-out and USB 2 for full-blown presentations from NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint files.

What market do you think Apple is in? The help-out-the-teacher market?
  • Reply 234 of 238
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What market do you think Apple is in? The help-out-the-teacher market?

It is not just the education market. It is also the corporate market and the domestic market. And the huge halo effect that comes with it. Apple will sell not only millions of such tiny Macs, but also other Macs, iPhones and iPods.
  • Reply 235 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

It is not just the education market. It is also the corporate market and the domestic market. And the huge halo effect that comes with it. Apple will sell not only millions of such tiny Macs, but also other Macs, iPhones and iPods.

Those tiny Macs are called iPhones. Apple makes money on real (full-size) Macs too, and I'd bet they'd like to keep it that way. If you want pocketable, the iPhone is as powerful as you will get, for several years to come.
  • Reply 236 of 238
    Quote:

Those tiny Macs are called iPhones. Apple makes money on real (full-size) Macs too, and I'd bet they'd like to keep it that way. If you want pocketable, the iPhone is as powerful as you will get, for several years to come.

In 2010 there needs to be something that bridges the iPhone and the MacBook/Air/Pro ... That should be the tablet, IMO.
  • Reply 237 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In 2010 there needs to be something that bridges the iPhone and the MacBook/Air/Pro ... That should be the tablet, IMO.

Yes, but it won't be pocketable - just sayin'.
  • Reply 238 of 238
    Quote:

Yes, but it won't be pocketable - just sayin'.

It will be a 7" to 10" "book" like format with dual touchscreens on the "inside" of the book. Yup, not "pocketable" as such... folding/ rollout-touchscreen/ virtual glasses/ holographic pen computers and such... not yet really commercially viable until maybe 2015.