How to access log files in terminal--> Second Life

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A friend of mine plays an online game called "Second Life" which is a virtual reality world where players interact with each other through text chat, etc. His girlfriend also plays the game but seems to have found a way to monitor his chats through checking log files from the terminal within OSX.

I've helped him out as best I can by addressing "library->Application Support->Second Life" and having him delete the text files of all his conversations being stored there, but he says that she is accessing the log files within terminal.

Any idea how this is possible, whether we can setup OSX so it doesn't log these files, and anything else we can do to eliminate her snooping eyes? I know nothing about terminal so I'm useless in this department.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G520incher View Post

A friend of mine plays an online game called "Second Life" which is a virtual reality world where players interact with each other through text chat, etc. His girlfriend also plays the game but seems to have found a way to monitor his chats through checking log files from the terminal within OSX.

Is his girlfriend real or part of Second Life? Or is 'a friend' actually you and 'his girlfriend' your mom?

This is a bizarre setup.

First off, I'd like to know is your friend having an affair in Second Life? I'd hate to be the one to allow him to virtually cheat on his girlfriend.

Quote:

I've helped him out as best I can by addressing "library->Application Support->Second Life" and having him delete the text files of all his conversations being stored there, but he says that she is accessing the log files within terminal.

Any idea how this is possible, whether we can setup OSX so it doesn't log these files, and anything else we can do to eliminate her snooping eyes? I know nothing about terminal so I'm useless in this department.

It's probably the console not the terminal. The console app in the utilities folder lists all the log files as well as system messages. You may have to pull the left hand side of the window pane to show the list.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Easy answer: bang his girlfriend and she'll stop reading his "chats".
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

First off, I'd like to know is your friend having an affair in Second Life? I'd hate to be the one to allow him to virtually cheat on his girlfriend.

No. He owns 3 different strip clubs/malls and makes half of his income on second life. However, he interacts with a lot of women also which makes his gf a bit uncomfortable. To my knowledge though, he's not cheating. I don't think he would.

Quote:

It's probably the console not the terminal. The console app in the utilities folder lists all the log files as well as system messages.

Yes. Sorry. He had said the terminal but turns out it is the console he keeps seeing open on his system. He's running OSX 10.5.

Quote:

You may have to pull the left hand side of the window pane to show the list.

Is there a way to have console not log everything? And he wants to know if he can send console to the trash. Will this affect how the rest of his computer functions? Is there a point to console logging everything?

Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

No. He owns 3 different strip clubs/malls and makes half of his income on second life. However, he interacts with a lot of women also which makes his gf a bit uncomfortable.

Do you think removing the log files will make her more or less uncomfortable?

Quote:

Is there a way to have console not log everything? And he wants to know if he can send console to the trash. Will this affect how the rest of his computer functions? Is there a point to console logging everything?

It's not the console that is logging things but the application. The console is just there to view the logs. Deleting it won't help as the log files still exist and you shouldn't delete the console app.

You should look at where the messages are listed - it will note a file name. That's where the messages are. If the chat messages are standard output, 10.5 stores them in two places - in your system log and your ASL log:

/private/var/log/asl

/private/var/log/system.log

Check where it says the message are coming from in the console first. To prevent future message being output, the best thing would be to look up documentation on Second Life to configure where the chat output goes if any. I would expect there to be a way to turn chat logging off. The Second Life developers should help if you contact them but check the preferences in the application.