What's the next best phone beside an iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I may be getting another phone besides my 3GS as my second phone for usage. Below are some of my suggestions.

1) Blackberry Bold

2) Blackberry Storm

3) Nokia N900

4) HTC Pro 3

5) Palm Pre

Which would you choose and why?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

...3) Nokia N900

I'd go for the Nokia, I have good experience of Nokias of the past, and I like what I've seen of the N900 so far; although what I'd really like Nokia to do is take the best bits from their range and produce 3 or 4 cracking phones rather than the hundreds of variations each that lacks something that's available in their range.

For your 2nd phone you need to consider your requirements, there are some things that just aren't available on some of the phones in your list which could discount them straight off.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The Pre, as it has a great looking capacitive-screen, nice looking user-interface, and better multi-tasking than the iPhone.

The iPhone is a better phone for a few reasons. 1. I actually like using the touch keyboard (no extra thickness and only there when you need it). 2. It's an Apple device, so it works perfectly with iTunes. Better battery life than the Pre, though this wouldn't be a deal-breaker. Better OS, richer API app set. Better looking, and a world of third party accessories. Sometimes I do wonder how Apple managed to get so much right with the iPhone - as so many things could have gone wrong really, from before it existed.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    [QUOTE=SGSStateStudent;1485118]I may be getting another phone besides my 3GS as my second phone for usage. /QUOTE]

You realize there is no rational way to answer this question. Why do you want a second phone? What type of usage are you talking about? Do you want a phone with a different number for business calls? Do you want a separate media player to save battery? Do you want something with a better email client or some other specific app? Do you want something with a physical keyboard? Or do you just want to start a general discussion about what phone might be second best?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:

I may be getting another phone besides my 3GS as my second phone for usage. Below are some of my suggestions.

1) Blackberry Bold

2) Blackberry Storm

3) Nokia N900

4) HTC Pro 3

5) Palm Pre

I would go back to a SonyEricsson if my iPhone 3G tragically died on me (since iPhone 3GS availability where I am [Malaysia] is a total, horrible joke)... I'm not a big texter or emailer and a Cybershot SonyE. phone could be nice, or one of them Walkman SonyE. phones... So I don't have to carry around a separate iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sometimes I do wonder how Apple managed to get so much right with the iPhone - as so many things could have gone wrong really, from before it existed.

Take a look at Steve Jobs today and we may have an answer. Perhaps he really poured his heart and very soul into the thing, leaving less for himself.

If he comes out with a great iTablet, I'm afraid that may very well be his last masterpiece.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The real question would be why you want another phone? Is the coverage not good enough in your area for your current provider? Is the phone going to be used for talk, texting or emails? Some mail servers have problems when they are checked to often. I like the Blackberry Storm but it does not have WiFi.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Take a look at Steve Jobs today and we may have an answer. Perhaps he really poured his heart and very soul into the thing, leaving less for himself.

If he comes out with a great iTablet, I'm afraid that may very well be his last masterpiece.

Stress doesn't give you pancreatic cancer.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

The real question would be why you want another phone?

Many possible reasons.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

1) Blackberry Bold

2) Blackberry Storm

3) Nokia N900

4) HTC Pro 3

5) Palm Pre

I'd choose the Blackberry Storm (likely 2 which is just getting ready to come out) for a couple reasons.

1. It is a world phone. It is quad-band GSM and also works with CDMA aka Verizon. So you can pretty much wander to whatever carrier you want with it.

2. If you look at videos about version 5.0 of the operating system for it, it looks and appears to work very, very nice. I wouldn't put it in the Mac/iPhone realm yet but it will have moved from say, Win 98 to XP realm to be analogous. It has loads of apps including the ones I use most often, Facebook, Pandora, etc.

3. It is one of the few phones where, while the overall system might not match the iPhone, people often declare that it does SOME things better than an iPhone.

4. RIM has Mac Desktop Manager in beta to keep contacts, calendars, iTunes, etc. synced.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    [QUOTE=Mac Voyer;1485499]
    Quote:

I may be getting another phone besides my 3GS as my second phone for usage. /QUOTE]

You realize there is no rational way to answer this question. Why do you want a second phone? What type of usage are you talking about? Do you want a phone with a different number for business calls? Do you want a separate media player to save battery? Do you want something with a better email client or some other specific app? Do you want something with a physical keyboard? Or do you just want to start a general discussion about what phone might be second best?

No. I'm getting a second phone that can be used in everyday school life. Something as close as an iPhone. Although iPhone remains number 1 on my list as the best phone I've ever used, HTC Pro 3 looks kinda nice ..
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

...Something as close as an iPhone. Although iPhone remains number 1 on my list as the best phone I've ever used...

So why not just get a 2nd iPhone?
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

So why not just get a 2nd iPhone?

I wanna try out a new interface.. Storm 2 looks nice too.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:

I wanna try out a new interface.. Storm 2 looks nice too.

I'd knock the Bold and the HTC Pro 3 off your list then; the Bold's interface is 'old' and the HTC's WinMo6.5 is also due to be updated in the near future.

That leaves the N900, Storm2 & Pré; the Pré interface gets good reviews, but I don't like the hardware. I still like the Nokia, but the Storm2 might edge it out; if only Nokia hadn't fitted it with such a crap keyboard, the E90's is so much better.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

No. I'm getting a second phone that can be used in everyday school life. Something as close as an iPhone. Although iPhone remains number 1 on my list as the best phone I've ever used, HTC Pro 3 looks kinda nice ..

I still don't get it, nor do I know what you need the phone to do.

Android for apps

Pre for social networking

BB for business

WinMo for masochism

Sidekick for messaging

If you want to do some combination of all of them on a entertainment platforms that is solid and mature, you already have it. If you have a lot of money burning a whole in your pocket, just get them all. If you want to know in general terms if anything is close to the iPhone experience, according to most of the top tech journalists out there who have tried them all, the answer is a resounding NO! I still would like to see you go into more detail about why you want a second phone since your current one suits you just fine. Rarely do people carry two phones, and then, only for very specific reasons. No one does it just for the heck of it.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

I'd knock the Bold and the HTC Pro 3 off your list then; the Bold's interface is 'old' and the HTC's WinMo6.5 is also due to be updated in the near future.

That leaves the N900, Storm2 & Pré; the Pré interface gets good reviews, but I don't like the hardware. I still like the Nokia, but the Storm2 might edge it out; if only Nokia hadn't fitted it with such a crap keyboard, the E90's is so much better.

I don't think the S2 for sale yet.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

I'll check out the Pre. I want nothing to do with a stylus!
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Guys, how about the new Blackberry Onyx? What do you think of that phone?
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

I'll check out the Pre. I want nothing to do with a stylus!

Are you saying the N900 uses a stylus? I hadn't seen that in any of the reviews I'd seen; if so that's another ball dropped by Nokia.

Quote:

Guys, how about the new Blackberry Onyx? What do you think of that phone?

I think it looks like it'd suffer the same issue of having too cramped a keyboard for me; no idea whether the interface is much changed from other BBs though.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    i probably go for any android phone to be honest get the htc hero or the mytouch
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

Are you saying the N900 uses a stylus? I hadn't seen that in any of the reviews I'd seen; if so that's another ball dropped by Nokia.

I think it looks like it'd suffer the same issue of having too cramped a keyboard for me; no idea whether the interface is much changed from other BBs though.

Yes sir, the N900 comes with a disgusting stylus! Anyway, besides my 32GB 3GS, I have bought an 8GB 3G as a spare phone. I tried out a BB Bold and my, I didn't know that BB keyboards were rather cramped! I looked at the Pre in real life and it really did not appeal to me at all. I guess the Apple has won my heart with their products.