Like Apple, Microsoft rumored to be creating tablet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just as they compete in numerous other markets, Microsoft and Apple could be going head to head with new touchscreen tablet devices in the near future, if a new rumor proves true.

ZDNet's Mary-Jo Foley said she has received a number of tips that the Windows Maker is at work on a tablet device, part of something known as "Alchemy Ventures." She speculated that Microsoft would likely wait to show off the hardware until after Apple unveils its own long-rumored tablet device.

Rumored to be a part of the team are Chief Experience Officer J Allard, as well as one executive from the Microsoft Surface team.

"No word on whether Microsoft will field a Microsoft-branded Surface/Tablet combo or rely on one or more hardware partners to produce multiple designs," Foley wrote.

Though it has not been confirmed by the Cupertino, Calif., company, Apple is believed to be working on a 10-inch 3G-enabled multi-touch device. Sources have told AppleInsider that the new hardware will debut in early 2010.

Foley went on to note that Microsoft apparently intends to get out of the hardware business, with only a few more iterations of its Zune hardware before the functionality becomes a part of mobile phones. In addition, she said Microsoft intends to work more closely with a smaller number of manufacturers for its mobile devices in the future. Given this information, it is possible that a Microsoft-branded device could be made in partnership with one or a few third-party manufacturers, based on specifications from the Windows maker.

In the same post, Foley also provides an update on Pink, the code name for Microsoft's rumored iPhone competitor. She said the device will be Microsoft branded, but will not be manufactured by Apple's rival to the north. The device is also said to feature "premium mobile services," like the Zune. It is also rumored to be built on the Windows Mobile 7 operating system, set to launch in late 2010.

Foley said she believes Microsoft will likely show off Pink at the Consumer Electronics show in January, as the software giant has already hired an advertising agency to promote the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 141
    Microsoft Insider everybody...
  • Reply 2 of 141
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Pink?

Zune?

Windows Mobile 7?

Who comes up with these product names? \
  • Reply 3 of 141
    I'm sorry, I just don't think they are particularly suited to be on the hardware side of things. The original Zune was a bust and the Xbox is losing them money, despite being popular. Not to say it's impossible for them to make a compelling product; I just think their money is better spent elsewhere. (For example, lowering the price of Windows 7 for everyone, while just eating the potential profits.)
  • Reply 4 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

She speculated that Microsoft would likely wait to show off the hardware until after Apple unveils its own long-rumored tablet device.

Seems like a safe bet. Why act when you can react?

They've made their bed and now have to lay in it. Since they really are a software company, they seem to have chosen the path of developing "reference" models, or proof of concept devices, so that hardware makers can take the ball and run with it. Not a bad way to make the best of their situation. But this course doesn't seem to overcome Apple's advantage of a tightly integrated ecosystem of devices, software, and services. It's difficult to farm out that sort of thing.
  • Reply 5 of 141
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is the first time I ever heard Microsoft and the word "tablet" being mentioned in the same story

Microsoft's mobile rival won't run Windows Mobile, just a hunch.
  • Reply 6 of 141
    Quote:

... as the software giant has already hired an advertising agency to promote the device.

That says it all.

Microsoft advertises first, develops second, releases third. Finally fails and leaves it's "partners" in the dust.

Since MS seems destined to copy Apple, why don't they copy some of the Apple strategy?

Develop a long-term plan. Announce and sell ONLY what actually works.

Oh, wait, MS DOES copy Apple marketing strategy. It's the highly successful Newton strategy!

Promise the sun, the moon and the stars... deliver a flashlight with low batteries.
  • Reply 7 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Seems like a safe bet. Why act when you can react?

They've made their bed and now have to lay in it. Since they really are a software company, they seem to have chosen the path of developing "reference" models, or proof of concept devices, so that hardware makers can take the ball and run with it. Not a bad way to make the best of their situation. But this course doesn't seem to overcome Apple's advantage of a tightly integrated ecosystem of devices, software, and services. It's difficult to farm out that sort of thing.

agree with your points, but additionally I just can't see MS being an innovator anymore, If they are always reacting to the competition.

Not sure what Ballmar strategy is anymore, since he always having a dig at Apple, but trying to produce products that will be better and draw consumers from Apple. I would concentrate more on the treat from Google. since there are a bigger threat at present.

MS focusing on a tablet will cause Apple to raise the bar and comsumers will win in the end
  • Reply 8 of 141
    "Microsoft apparently intends to get out of the hardware business..." And here I thought MS was waking up to the idea that Apple has had it right all along ? that if you're serious about software, you're got to build your own hardware. They will never learn.
  • Reply 9 of 141
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Oh, wait, MS DOES copy Apple marketing strategy. It's the highly successful Newton strategy!

Promise the sun, the moon and the stars... deliver a flashlight with low batteries.

I don't think that comment has much validity. Apple has had to reinvent itself several times over the course of the their history. The Newton was from a different era and although revolutionary for its time, there is really no comparison to today's technology. It's tough being #2. You always have to push the envelop. Microsoft on the other hand has always been on top and has not changed their business strategy much at all over the years.
  • Reply 10 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I just can't see MS being an innovator anymore, If they are always reacting to the competition.

Microsoft was NEVER an innovator.

If you consider killing competitors and competition as "innovative", they are masters of innovation.

MS is a rebranding, licensing and marketing company. Always has been.

Just look at their deal with IBM. Look who's running the company now.

It's not a brilliant technician or technical visionary, it's a sales guy.
  • Reply 11 of 141
    Microsoft made a tablet in 2002. They even made a separate version of Windows for it. The tablet only (no keyboard) form factor just hasn't been designed by OEMs yet.
  • Reply 12 of 141
    At this risk of sounding like a single topic poster, I ask again:

Has MS had an ORIGINAL IDEA in its existence?
  • Reply 13 of 141
    M$ Tablet = typing paper & #6 pencil.
  • Reply 14 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

At this risk of sounding like a single topic poster, I ask again:

Has MS had an ORIGINAL IDEA in its existence?

Windows Genuine Advantage.
  • Reply 15 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Microsoft was NEVER an innovator.

If you consider killing competitors and competition as "innovative", they are masters of innovation.

MS is a rebranding, licensing and marketing company. Always has been.

Just look at their deal with IBM. Look who's running the company now.

It's not a brilliant technician or technical visionary, it's a sales guy.

I actually thought afterwards that may be a very sore point implying MS was innovator at some point in time..

I read history of windows and office and prior to that was native to think that Bill Gates/MS were an innovator of such products before reading their history on the net.

Apologies for calling MS an innovator, do not want to be throw out of forum, for foul language
  • Reply 16 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Windows Genuine Advantage.

• Reply 17 of 141
    Microsoft has only made one great piece of hardware. 10 years later, it's still in production.

IntelliMouse® Optical
  • Reply 18 of 141
    Quote:

Microsoft would likely wait to show off the hardware until after Apple unveils its own long-rumored tablet device.

Well, yes, of course, they'll need to know how to build one before they have a go.
  • Reply 19 of 141
    Typical of Microsoft to do something like that. I have come to two conclusion, either Microsoft is holding back their potential or that is their potential. Its looking more and more that one of my favorite companies (Apple) is really that damn good.
  • Reply 20 of 141
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Touch Screen of Death anyone? Can't wait