Roger Ebert adds to health care debate on iPhone, Mac use

Comments

• Reply 101 of 147
    Stats are funny things. Take out car accidents and murder and we score better on longevity. If we are #37 in health care, one must wonder why Steve Jobs received his transplant right here in America. My guess is we are teh most innovative and advanced and we need to keep these qualities, whatever style of health care program we implement via reform.
  • Reply 102 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hey, buddy, I quoted exactly one unsubstantiated statement of yours -- see below;

Now, I am compelled to call you out on another ridiculous assertion:

Provide a credible cite for that claim, and I'll apologize to you. Otherwise, stick to facts that you can back up.

well I live in india, I am a very senior person in this company...www.indipharm.com and if you look at the site, my two scientific advisors both probably our top consultants in their field and provided me the information, when I initially moved to Mumbai, for our marketing campaign slides.

OH well, you did not apologize for initial quote and slicing one statement from entire quote and now you look silly and trying to redeem yourself. I do not get into childish games of calling people out. I prefer to let people put there opinion and discuss as normal person would do in face to face situation.

My point was clear You can not compare USA Healthcare system with Thailand or India.
  • Reply 103 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Stats are funny things. Take out car accidents and murder and we score better on longevity. If we are #37 in health care, one must wonder why Steve Jobs received his transplant right here in America. My guess is we are teh most innovative and advanced and we need to keep these qualities, whatever style of health care program we implement via reform.

Sure, stats can be finessed every which way, including the way you did it here.

One thing is for sure: Despite being #1 in spending in both absolute dollars and as percent GDP, the US is most certainly not #1 in outcomes. And, arguably, some recognition that we may have something to learn from other advanced countries (which, in turn requires some humility) may not be such a bad thing.
  • Reply 104 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

well I live in india, I am the VP& Director of this company...www.indipharm.com and if you look at the site, my two scientific advisors both probably our top consultants in their field and provided me the information, when I initially moved to Mumbai, for our marketing campaign slides.

Your top 'consultants'? Perhaps you could ask them for the cites?

(Medical 'marketing campaign slides' do have to back up their statistical claims, you know; at least they do in the US).
  • Reply 105 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

Congrats on a truly relevant and topical article that steps partially outside the "Apple" sphere of things, but not too far. This is the best AI article I've seen in months, if not years.

I only hope that AI readers don't confuse this Medicare problem with what Gov't insurance *should* be. Stuff like this has to be ironed out before we can make it work right.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Your top 'consultants'? Perhaps you could ask them for the cites?

(Medical 'marketing campaign slides' do have to back up their statistical claims, you know; at least they do in the US).

Not sure what is your motive, but you seem to have lost the plot, as you said you called me out on 'comparing US healthcare with India', which was very much opposite of what I was doing. Now you calling me out on another statement of mine, simply because you can not apologize for initial conduct of your reply to a 'sliced' statement that could be taken out of context.

Anyway India is one of the hot spots for 'Medical Tourism', i.e, people coming to India to obatin the same quality of treatment for about 10-12 times cheaper then US. Unfortunately this behviour does not help the average Indian person, who can not afford healthcare. I would say probably 80% of the healthcare in India is privately funded with state/federal providing probably at most 10-20%.

Anyway this will give you more accurate overview of Indian Healthcare market and what probably going to happen in future.

http://www.pwc.com/en_GX/gx/healthca...c-in-india.pdf
  • Reply 106 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

What people fear is gov't running private insurers out of business. And there's plenty of audio and video out there that vaildates those fears. Medicare is in such bad shape because Gov't can't run programs effectively, period. All the mandates and regulations are what brings down the system. To quote a wise man, "Everyday Congress meets we lose a little bit more of our liberty."

Put down the crack pipe. Private Insurance companies are snorting > $100 Billion as being the insurance backers for Medicare. The Government, under Bush 2.0, didn't budget for this last Medicare package.
  • Reply 107 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OK- then, what do you think of those who believe in the march last weekend?

I can't wait to attend the next one... My sign read, "Hey MSNBC dolts, I'm not hatin' on a Black man. I'm luv'in on the Red, White and Blue!

The next event will be held shortly after the government goes against the polling that shows the wishes of the American people and ram through a piece of cr@p legislation regardless of what the majority wants when it comes to a health care bill... that's when the next event will start to be organized...

Personally, and there are a lot of us out there, we don't trust anything coming from the government. PERIOD. And it's not a democrat thing and it's not an Obama thing. IT'S A PAST GOVERNMENT ACTIONS THING.

And when I speak of "government", I'm talking about the House of Representative, the Senate, and the Executive Branch and both political parties...

The government has done very little to sway me that things will be different this time!

I've seen "Bridges to Nowhere" from the past administration, to the government adding 3 more than requested by the Air Force of G5 Corporate Jets for Congress to use for travels because we as taxpayers, we can afford for our "representatives" ability to just spend, spend, spend!

The government couldn't run the House Bank or the House Post Office without scandal. They couldn't run the cafeteria and had to have "professionals" take over. They recently opened a visitors center that was over budget and past due of its opening day.

We had a senator say that they should fix Social Security like they did when they fixed it ten years ago. Think about that for a second... If it was "fixed" ten years ago, then why does it need fixing now?! Probably because it was never fixed?!

We have the House Leader who likes protesters when they "agitate" George Bush at his home in Crawford concerning the Iraq war, but when others gather to "agitate" the democrats and Obama and health care, she labels us 'Un-American' and a mob! And then decries the level of rhetoric and possibility of violence, when she started the name calling! A hell of a nerve. Especially when the violence thus far has been from astro turfing Obama SEIU union goons attacking a vendor at a protest and at another protest a Pro-Obama supporter bites off the finger of an elderly man exercising his Constitutional rights.

We have Obama saying in a speech that after the August recess, anyone wishing clarification of "his plan", that he will go over it "line by line". It's on video! When several republican lawmakers sent him a letter taking him up on his offer, guess what... No return phone calls to set up a time, no letter, no e-mail, no text message from the Obama "Blackberry One"... zip, nada, nothing, the big goose egg... If he doesn't reply soon, maybe it is time to bring back the phrase, "You Lie"! Of course like so many other things, Obama will deny what one can see coming from his mouth that is video taped for all of posterity and Obama will simply say that was then, this is now, my positions have evolved... from several weeks ago???

And those that talk about the "civilized countries" that have government health insurance, I would like to know how much is their citizenry taxed for that honor and also, how much does their country spend in relation to their GDP regarding worldwide commitments when it comes to their military? Or maybe the next major tsunami that affects the peoples of 10 or 11 countries, God forbid, we'll let someone else take all the food, medicines and supplies donated and let them drop it off via military ships and air drops

I'm not in disagreement that health care needs reform but not some 1100 page babble filled with lawyer speak that like Medicare, will require the purchase of the $8000 computer or the $500 wheelchair van because it is authorized!

Glad those with problems are finding aid with the iPhone and "there's an app for that" app store.
  • Reply 108 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Before making broad-reaching statements, could the Americans in the forums who have convinced themselves that "the government will run health care into the ground" research health care systems in other countries before commenting further?

Thanks!

Yes, perhaps starting with the other 17 rated of higher standard by the WHO (admittedly sometime ago and out of date).
  • Reply 109 of 147
    >> Others fear that Obama's plans to reform health care will result in Medicare being taken over by the government, unaware that Medicare itself is a single payer, government-run healthcare program and has been since 1965.

No, others fear that the Obama's plans to reform health care will result in Medicare taking over the entire country, aware that Medicare itself is a, government-run healthcare program and has been since 1965.
  • Reply 110 of 147
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Stop name calling and get your facts right with concern to comparing healthcare systems with US. Firstly not US citizen, but lived there for over 5 years. Secondly lived in Asia-Pacific for over 7 years off and on.

The cost of living, wages etc are completely different to US, so you going to Thailand earning a US wage and spending your US dollars, it would seem much cheaper. To average Thai person their cost of Healthcare is still high in their country.

Have you been to a Thai hospital? Damn things are like freaking hotels.

Quote:

So before you start comparing Thailand's healthcare with USA, just remember what you are comparing, since poor Thai people are NOT getting a good deal, but hey as long as you are happy thats great.

The capital costs of a modern medical institution remains the same. That the doctors may make less isn't likely the deciding factor in medical costs but rather the insurance overhead. Dunno what happens in a malpractice case in Thailand.
  • Reply 111 of 147
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Anyway India is one of the hot spots for 'Medical Tourism', i.e, people coming to India to obatin the same quality of treatment for about 10-12 times cheaper then US. Unfortunately this behviour does not help the average Indian person, who can not afford healthcare.

So what? The point is that medical care can be much less expensive. If you can't show that the primary cause of high US healthcare costs is medical staff salary then the cost of healthcare in Thailand and India are directly applicable to the assertion that health care costs are too high in the US and the costs of living in Thailand and India don't much matter in this equation.

What? Are you guys using a cheaper brand of MRI than we do? IV drip lines magically take less plastic in India?
  • Reply 112 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

So what? The point is that medical care can be much less expensive. If you can't show that the primary cause of high US healthcare costs is medical staff salary then the cost of healthcare in Thailand and India are directly applicable to the assertion that health care costs are too high in the US and the costs of living in Thailand and India don't much matter in this equation.

What? Are you guys using a cheaper brand of MRI than we do? IV drip lines magically take less plastic in India?

Actaully India/ Thailand use the same brand, since I visit hospitals on a weekly basis, same for medication even the brand medication is cheaper. The pharmaceuticals know there can not sell the same price in India as USA. That is known fact.

Fortunately the same MRI brand you found in USA, you will found in India. The cost of MRI will be much cheaper in India.

If I remember it was Merck or Pfizer who just launched a diabetes product in India that was about 40-50% cheaper then USA price.

If you read the PWC report, it explains all you need to know with concern to India anyway.
  • Reply 113 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Have you been to a Thai hospital? Damn things are like freaking hotels.

The capital costs of a modern medical institution remains the same. That the doctors may make less isn't likely the deciding factor in medical costs but rather the insurance overhead. Dunno what happens in a malpractice case in Thailand.

I been to Thai hospital, probably many more times, then you have, since I visited Thai for business (Pharmaceuticals) for 5 yrs every 2 weeks. The cost of healthcare for USA person in Thailand is low, but average Thai person or Indian person can not found that standard of care.

Agree Healthcare can be cheaper in USA, but you can't compare Thailand with USA, since many factors make them different.

From my industry a CRA costs on average $57,000 for CRA I http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...D14000020.html

in India a CRA costs 4-6 lakts, which is roughly USD8-12,000. Which is similar lower costs for Indian doctor's salaries.
  • Reply 114 of 147
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

I been to Thai hospital, probably many more times, then you have, since I visited Thai for business (Pharmaceuticals) for 5 yrs every 2 weeks. The cost of healthcare for USA person in Thailand is low, but average Thai person or Indian person can not found that standard of care.

Agree Healthcare can be cheaper in USA, but you can't compare Thailand with USA, since many factors make them different.

From my industry a CRA costs on average $57,000 for CRA I http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...D14000020.html

in India a CRA costs 4-6 lakts, which is roughly USD8-12,000. Which is similar lower costs for Indian doctor's salaries.

In the morning when a country awakes it must say to itself

should a sick person afllicted with <<fill i blank >> have a united field trying to cure said sck person .

In the usa 40 % cannot get help of any kind .

Yet we spend trillions on machines of war and death .

yet in cuba 100 percent get 100 percent help

yes cuba's heath help is not so great

but it is equal

you choose

peace dudes

• Reply 115 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

In the morning when a country awakes it must say to itself

should a sick person afllicted with <<fill i blank >> have a united field trying to cure said sck person .

In the usa 40 % cannot get help of any kind .

Yet we spend trillions on machines of war and death .

yet in cuba 100 percent get 100 percent help

yes cuba's heath help is not so great

but it is equal

you choose

peace dudes

well said
  • Reply 116 of 147
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

well said

cheers

i once saw a video of millions of gallons of price support milk being dumped in a river .

i cried ,

peace

• Reply 117 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

What people fear is gov't running private insurers out of business. And there's plenty of audio and video out there that vaildates those fears. Medicare is in such bad shape because Gov't can't run programs effectively, period. All the mandates and regulations are what brings down the system. To quote a wise man, "Everyday Congress meets we lose a little bit more of our liberty."

I don't fear that at all. I look forward to it, actually.
  • Reply 118 of 147
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:

well said

Its truly a shame that discussions as intellectually supported and vigorously debated, using world facts can not take place in a "free" country when attempts are made to explore the truth in Washington. Even people like Ron Paul or Ron Widen get no press coverage or their questions are are ignored by the execs or members of various committees when these valuable, pointed questions are asked. For those of us who spend time reading and researching, it is so obvious that the common person just gets a controlled snapshot from TV. They are more interested in 2 and 1/2 men, than in Charlie Sheen's letter to Obama! Knowledge is power, yet the average America citizen chooses to remain powerless while the true beneficiaries of health insurance, the banking system and the US political system move closer to destroying America and the free world! Thus gaining selfish and limited control of a world advanced by education and a free market system of incentive and reward. The results would no doubt stagger any forward movement and end up leaving a deteriorating planet consisting of Lords and Commoners, as in the Dark Ages!
  • Reply 119 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

Its truly a shame that discussions as intellectually supported and vigorously debated, using world facts can not take place in a "free" country when attempts are made to explore the truth in Washington. Even people like Ron Paul or Ron Widen get no press coverage or their questions are are ignored by the execs or members of various committees when these valuable, pointed questions are asked. For those of us who spend time reading and researching, it is so obvious that the common person just gets a controlled snapshot from TV. They are more interested in 2 and 1/2 men, than in Charlie Sheen's letter to Obama! Knowledge is power, yet the average America citizen chooses to remain powerless while the true beneficiaries of health insurance, the banking system and the US political system move closer to destroying America and the free world! Thus gaining selfish and limited control of a world advanced by education and a free market system of incentive and reward. The results would no doubt stagger any forward movement and end up leaving a deteriorating planet consisting of Lords and Commoners, as in the Dark Ages!

I have no idea what this means. I have to suppose that it's an effort to bury an important issue under a heap of ideological rhetoric. Sorry, but I think you are too late. It's already been done.
  • Reply 120 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

what is two half and half men??