Apple releases updates for iTunes, Logic suites

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Tuesday afternoon released updates for iTunes, Logic Pro, Logic Express, and Main Stage, bringing bug fixes, enhancements and stability improvements to the range of software.

iTunes 9.0.1 brings a number of fixes for the media player, including an issue with verification of Apple devices, the company said. It is available for download via Software Update or direct from Apple for Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later, Windows XP SP2, and Windows Vista (82.95MB). A separate version is also available for Windows Vista 64-bit (88.8MB). Fixes in the latest update to iTunes include:

Resolves issues browsing the iTunes Store.

Addresses a performance issue where iTunes may become unresponsive.

Fixes a problem where iTunes may unexpectedly quit.

Fixes a problem syncing Podcasts in playlists to iPod or iPhone.

Fixes a problem sorting albums with multiple discs.

Addresses an issue with the Zoom button not switching to Mini Player.

Improves application syncing for iPod touch and iPhone.

Genius is now automatically updated to show Genius Mixes.

Logic Pro 9.0.1 (183MB) and Logic Express 9.0.1 are available for Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later. According to Apple, fixes in the updates include:

Flex Markers can align & snap to MIDI notes

Performing a punch-in recording with Replace Mode now behaves correctly

The I/O plug-in adds an option for latency compensation

Finally, Main Stage 2.0.1 (206.75MB) is also available for Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later. Apple said the update includes fixes and enhancements for the Loopback and Playback plugins. Specifically noted fixes are:

The Reverse option for Loopback now behaves consistently

Pitchbend data is transmitted properly to external instruments

A recording in Loopback can be used to define the tempo for MainStage

The I/O plug-in is now available in MainStage

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Boy that was quick. Fixed my iPhone sycning problem. Thought it was a 3.1 issue.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Smart Playlist ordering is still messed up. The playlist syncs, but the ordering of the podcasts on my iPhone is not the same as the order in iTunes. Of course, this used to work in the good ol' days of iPhone 3.0/iTunes 8.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

Thank you, Jebus!

And why in the heck would they break the function of the green zoom button after they just fixed it in version 9.0?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    They fixed the "green +" so it takes you to the mini player like the older itunes. that was my biggest problem! yay
  • Reply 5 of 40
    That's the main thing that's been broken for me (although I will welcome the return of the green button going to mini-player mode!)

I don't have an Airport Express here at the office... guess I'll just have to leave work early and go home to test it.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Of course you could just sort by album before this fix. But good to see you don't need to anymore.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martinmoorejr View Post

They fixed the "green +" so it takes you to the mini player like the older itunes. that was my biggest problem! yay

Thank goodness. That little bug was annoying.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Thank you, Jebus!

And why in the heck would they break the function of the green zoom button after they just fixed it in version 9.0?

They didn't break it. The interface guidelines are guidelines, not commandments. In the case of iTunes, toggling between the full viewer and the mini-player makes more sense than toggling between the full viewer and a somewhat-resized full viewer.

In my opinion, shared by a lot based on feedback at various websites, the "break" was in 9.0. This is a fix.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimhill View Post

They didn't break it. The interface guidelines are guidelines, not commandments. In the case of iTunes, toggling between the full viewer and the mini-player makes more sense than toggling between the full viewer and a somewhat-resized full viewer.

No it doesn't.* But whatever, the plus button didn't resize properly anyway.

I'm hoping they fixed the bug where quitting a search always takes you back to the top.

*Actually, the mini player doesn't make sense at all. Keep iTunes in a separate Space and use dock menus to control it.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    ...is working again for me, at the moment.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    What the HECK is the in-your-face 3.5MB "Hard Drive Firmware Update 2.0" that showed up along with the iTunes update? It gives you a Microsoft-like cryptic message that says "get it or die," and then something along the lines of "while getting it, your computer may die."

They might as well have said, "Message No. $#@^&*&%$".

I simply quit it without installing.

I have a message for Apple: Tell me what it does or does not do. Or, $#@^&*&%$ you too.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What the HECK is the in-your-face 3.5MB "Hard Drive Firmware Update 2.0" that showed up along with the iTunes update? It gives you a Microsoft-like cryptic message that says "get it or die," and then something along the lines of "while getting it, your computer may die."

They might as well have said, "Message No. $#@^&*&%$".

I simply quit it without installing.

I have a message for Apple: Tell me what it does or does not do. Or, $#@^&*&%$ you too.

Replying to my own post is not in good form, I know.... It is apparently the fix for "...certain infrequent noises made by 7200-rpm drives that shipped with the June 2009 MacBook Pro." Easy to miss that when you click 'check' on multiple software download offers.

Apple should have given you a heads-up that a back-up of your HD would be highly recommended (basically, upon the pain of death).
  • Reply 13 of 40
    i am still not able to sync my contacts and calendars on my ipod classic 160 and 4th gen nano.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Has anyone noticed that when you open Software Update it will immediately ask you for the administrator's name and password. What's up with that change? In Leopard it used to wait until there was something and you chose to download it before it would ask you for that.

And incidentally, now when it does ask you for the name and password, you can just keep hitting Cancel and it will continue checking.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimhill View Post

In my opinion, shared by a lot based on feedback at various websites, the "break" was in 9.0. This is a fix.

I think this is BS. It's non standard behavior compared to EVERY other single program and OS window. In iTunes 9.0 all you had to do was hold option down to get the old behavior. Now it's broken again. Sux.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Has anyone noticed that when you open Software Update it will immediately ask you for the administrator's name and password. What's up with that change? In Leopard it used to wait until there was something and you chose to download it before it would ask you for that.

And incidentally, now when it does ask you for the name and password, you can just keep hitting Cancel and it will continue checking.

I'm not having any of the issues you describe. If anything, Software Update is more stable under Snow Leopard for me. You might want to check your security settings for the first issue, not sure about the second.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Thank goodness. That little bug was annoying.

Holding down the option key in 9.0 makes it a mini player.

I like it that way.

Does holding down option with the update make it resize?
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garyindenver View Post

I think this is BS. It's non standard behavior compared to EVERY other single program and OS window. In iTunes 9.0 all you had to do was hold option down to get the old behavior. Now it's broken again. Sux.

While I agree with you, I can see both sides. It's like when MS decided on the "ribbon" interface for Office. People were very used to the menus of "their" office software, they couldn't see a reason to change it.

So many people had gotten used to the broken version of the green button they were pissed when it had gotten fixed. So  broke it again, because that's what people were used to. MS of course, just says deal with it you'll like it.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Any sign of iPhone firmware 3.1.1?

Pretty sure I'm not the only one afraid to update from 3.0 because of the widespread reports of problems.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I'm still on iTunes 8.2 and I'm staying with it (I upgraded to 9, then went back). I get to keep my Shopping Cart, I don't have to let iTunes set cookies in Safari to buy something in the store, my grid view still has a black background, I still get the old interface in the iTunes store (more track listings on a page, a lot easier to search and view the results, no wishlist frustration), etc.

I only use iTunes for music (one computer), so I don't need all the new features. I like the new Smart Folders, though - being able to nest conditions. You can do some fun stuff with that.