One-fifth of buyers interested in Apple's unseen tablet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite the fact that no one has seen it, a new survey says that 21 percent of buyers are interested in purchasing an Apple tablet device. That demand, along with strong Mac and iPhone sales, is expected to propel the company's stock.

In a survey of 3,100 people, more than a fifth said they are interested in Apple's long-rumored tablet device, according to a new note to investors from RBC Capital Markets. That's well more than the 9 percent that said they were interested in the original iPhone in April 2007. The survey assumed that the product would be priced between $500 and $700 for its question.

In addition to tablet buzz, iPhone and Mac sales are surging, analyst Mike Abramsky said. With all of those factors, he projects that AAPL stock will hit $250.

RBC believes that smartphones are the next wave of computing, and the iPhone is leading the way. Market penetration of the devices is predicted to hit 35.1 percent, or 504 million, by the year 2012. The company said it sees room for four or five major smartphone players, likely including Apple, Research in Motion and Palm.

Abramsky predicts that Apple will sell at least 22.8 million iPhones in the 2009 calendar year, giving the handset a 2 percent share of all cellphone sales. By 2011, he predicts that total will more than double to 54.7 million, with a 4 percent total market share.

"We view the iPhone as a 10-year platform, with significant growth and share gains ahead," Abramsky said. "Our outlook reflects continued iPhone share gains in domestic and international markets, driven by distribution expansion, more innovations in devices and user experience, and additional iPhone SKUs. Apple's iTunes/iTunes Store/Device ecosystem remains a significant source of competitive advantage."

In addition, a recent RBC IQ/ChangeWave Survey of 4,200 people found that the iPhone represents 30 percent of smartphone users, a number that has increased since the launch of the iPhone 3GS. The note states that half of Apple stores worldwide are struggling to meet consumer demand for the iPhone 3GS. Abramsky believes Apple will sell 7.25 million iPhones in the fourth quarter, higher than the Wall Street estimate of 6.6 million.

In addition, RBC found that MacBook sales have been strong, thanks to recent price cuts on the MacBook Pro line back-to-school pricing, and the launch of Apple's new operating system, Snow Leopard. A recent survey of 3,100 in early September shows that 25 percent of respondents bought a MacBook within the last 90 days, up from 12 percent in April. Given this, Abramsky has raised his projected Mac sales to 2.8 million, up from the previous prediction of 2.66 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I bet the number will be far higher than 20% as it becomes better known about.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    Well i was a part of the 21% untill i read about the MS booklet this morning.... damn it looks cool.....
  • Reply 3 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamZie View Post

Well i was a part of the 21% untill i read about the MS booklet this morning.... damn it looks cool.....

Here is the actual device without animated trickery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=049_U-0C9qU
  • Reply 4 of 71
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The survey assumed that the product would be priced between $500 and $700 for its question.

This smacks of some people thinking to force Apple's hand regarding price. It's gonna cost more than this. My original iPhone was $599. This is where rumors sites hurt Apple. People bandy rumored specs and prices around. Over time, they reach "consensus" and it's almost always toward the highest-end specs and lowest-end prices. And people who don't read the rumors critically feel ripped off or disappointed when the real thing shows up.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Here is the actual device without animated trickery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=049_U-0C9qU

Well done!
  • Reply 6 of 71
    "that 25 percent of respondents bought a MacBook within the last 90 days"

..BS. where was this survey taken? cupertino? the accessories section of the apple store?

how many people reading this forum [self proclaimed fanboys] have bought a macbook in the last 3 months? 25% sounds extremely high.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    I looks like a Microshaft finished product to me. Big, butt ugly, impractical, available in brown.

The software is way too sophisticated for MS. It also looks as though they have stolen a 20 year old idea from Apple. Nothing new there then. The 2 screens remind me of 2 iPhones stuck together. I can't wait for Apple to launch an Apple Tablet. But we don't know if it really exists yet. A 10" screen, Mac OS X or iPhone OS type software, sounds so exciting. Download videos, films, music, music videos on a beautiful screen. Sounds like a killer product, with all the apps, music, videos you could ever want, already available. MS simply does not understand innovation. Copying isn't innovation, its just copying. I think the Apple Tablet may be the next big product for 2010. Along side the iPhone, the iPod range. Thats 2 hugely fast selling products, all from one company, Apple. I wish I was an Apple shareholder.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

I looks like a Microshaft finished product to me. Big, butt ugly, impractical, available in brown.

The software is way too sophisticated for MS. It also looks as though they have stolen a 20 year old idea from Apple. Nothing new there then. The 2 screens remind me of 2 iPhones stuck together. I can't wait for Apple to launch an Apple Tablet. But we don't know if it really exists yet. A 10" screen, Mac OS X or iPhone OS type software

Oh, it's coming. This is Apple we're talking about. The same company that came out of absolutely nowhere with the iPhone. Amazing tech that changes the game is Apple's chief business. 2010 will be a big year.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    And they will change their minds when they find out it's priced @ $999

/or will they?
  • Reply 10 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

"that 25 percent of respondents bought a MacBook within the last 90 days"

..BS. where was this survey taken? cupertino? the accessories section of the apple store?

how many people reading this forum [self proclaimed fanboys] have bought a macbook in the last 3 months? 25% sounds extremely high.

Well spotted, I couldn't read that far even...
  • Reply 11 of 71
    My strategy: wait 4-5 months for them to drop the price from $999 (or w/e it is) to $699. Just like the original iPhone (not the same prices, but the same situation)
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

My strategy: wait 4-5 months for them to drop the price from $999 (or w/e it is) to $699. Just like the original iPhone (not the same prices, but the same situation)

I don't see it happening as quickly, or by as much. They will raise specs and storage capacity, buy will keep the price the same. Just like they do with the MacBook, which the tablet will replace. I'd be interested to see what happens to the MacBook Pro then - a hunch tells me they will drop the "pro" from the MacBook line altogether, and then bring out colors across the line. The "pro" thing is getting tiring anyway, and the differences are becoming too small.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

The survey assumed that the product would be priced between $500 and $700 for its question.

If that's the case then this survey is bogus.

Apple don't do cheap- remember?

An iPod Touch averages $300 for krisake!

An iPhone $600.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't see it happening as quickly, or by as much. They will raise specs and storage capacity, buy will keep the price the same. Just like they do with the MacBook, which the tablet will replace. I'd be interested to see what happens to the MacBook Pro then - a hunch tells me they will drop the "pro" from the MacBook line altogether, and then bring out colors across the line. The "pro" thing is getting tiring anyway, and the differences are becoming too small.

I agree with everything Ireland just said. Pro was lame from the beginning. Replacing an entire line with tablets would be one sure way to say "we're serious about this" and have people get on board.

There are so many places the hybrid tablets fell short, and that a true tablet could work better. I've seen doctors lugging around hybrids and laptops, it looks ridiculous. Ergonomic nightmare.

If I had to use a device in a car, like a cop does, I'd much rather have a BT keyboard in my lap with a mounted tablet. Instead of the way they twist in the seat now to type on a keyboard that's up high and at an awkward angle.

Not saying there are no ergonomic issues with tablets. But here's the big difference: The keyboard can be added in when needed and taken away when it's not. With a laptop you're always stuck with the whole 5-6 pound mess.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Rule #1: Never, ever buy a first generation product from Apple unless you can afford to buy another one 6 months later. You'll be sorry sometimes as early as 3 months later.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:

And they will change their minds when they find out it's priced @ $999

/or will they?

And that's without the required AT&T contract!
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I agree with everything Ireland just said. Pro was lame from the beginning. Replacing an entire line with tablets would be one sure way to say "we're serious about this" and have people get on board.

I don't mean replacing the aluminum MacBooks, just the plastic one. But thanks!
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And that's without the required AT&T contract!

Who is AT&T?
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:

Who is AT&T?

You don't want to know, trust me.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:

I don't mean replacing the aluminum MacBooks, just the plastic one. But thanks!

That's what I meant too. Drop the plastic line for tablets. Rename the Pros to just Macbooks.

If it doesn't work release some new kind of entry level laptop a few months later. But I think it will work. I'd get by with a tablet most of the times I take a laptop outside the house or the office.