Apple lists TomTom Car Kit in Europe (?99.95), U.K. (£99.95)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
TomTom's anticipated GPS Car Kit for the iPhone was briefly available for preorder via the online Apple Store in Europe Thursday, with a listing that suggested the software may not work with the iPod touch or first-generation iPhone.

Priced at ?99.95 ($147.52 U.S.) for Europe and £99.95 ($162.20 U.S.) for the U.K., the TomTom Car Kit preorder was listed as shipping in two to three weeks. The description also said the included TomTom application is only compatible with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

"Note: The Car Kit dock is compatible with all iPhone models, but the Car Kit app only works with iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G," the Apple Store U.K. said.

The price is roughly the same as the one first listed by a reseller months ago. The TomTom application was released in August. Maps for the U.S. and Canada are priced at $99.99 U.S., while maps of the U.K. and Ireland have a standalone price of £59.99. Those who buy the car kit, though, will have the software included in the bundle.

The software works with the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, which include an integrated GPS receiver. It was previously suggested that the software would also work with the first-generation iPhone and the iPod touch via the hardware kit, which includes an external GPS receiver.

The Apple Store page said the device offers volume control, portrait and landscape mode, windscreen and dashboard mounting, and iPhone charging via CLA. The system requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later, 1.2 GB of free memory, and iTunes on the desktop.

Apple listed the following features for the TomTom Car Kit:

Secure docking: TomTom's specially designed, award-winning EasyPort mount attaches your iPhone securely to your windscreen or dashboard?perfectly within reach. It lets you rotate the screen for widescreen route display. And it folds flat for easy moves from car to car.

Enhanced GPS performance: The TomTom car kit's built-in receiver increases the GPS performance of your iPhone to give you a truly reliable signal?even in high-rise urban areas.

Clear voice instructions: With the built-in volume controls and superior speaker, you'll hear every voice instruction loud and clear?so you'll never miss a thing.

Easy charging: Dock your iPhone 3GS in the mount to charge it as you drive, so it's always fully charged and ready to go.

Hands-free calling: Receive calls without taking your eyes off the road, using the built-in extra-sensitive microphone and speaker. And the app automatically starts navigating again as soon as the call ends.

Your music on the move: With the audio out connector you can play all your favourite songs through your car's audio system with the optional audio cable. It even fades music out when receiving calls and giving directions.

The TomTom Car Kit was originally due to be released over the summer, but was delayed until October. The company said it was taking the extra time "in order to deliver the highest quality on this innovative product."

The TomTom iPhone mount will boost the device's GPS reception.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Are they not selling the Car kit on its own?

Plus retarded UK pricing strikes again:

Tomtom app for UK = £60

Tomtom app for W Europe = £80

UK kit + uk maps = £99

Europe Kit + Europe maps - ?99 = £89

\
  • Reply 2 of 22
    This seems a bit over priced. I recently bought a TomTom standalone navigation system for about $150. It has all the features and more that this app will. I don't see why they're charging more for just the navigation app and the added antenna. Like charging more for less. Or am I missing something?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Hm, perhaps more was removed from the new iPod touches than just the camera? Wasn't it TomTom itself that said it would work with touches? When Apple updated the OS to remove the camera support, since they took out the camera, did they take out whatever components might have been needed to work with TomTom, too?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

TomTom's anticipated GPS Car Kit for the iPhone was briefly available for preorder via the online Apple Store in Europe Thursday, with a listing that suggested the software may not work with the iPod touch or first-generation iPhone.

Priced at €99.95 ($147.52 U.S.) for Europe and £99.95 ($162.20 U.S.) for the U.K., the TomTom Car Kit preorder was listed as shipping in two to three weeks. The description also said the included TomTom application is only compatible with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

I see nothing about the software in this so am I to assume that TomTom + the Car Kit is gonna set us back approx $250 US - WOW that seems kinda high!

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised about the price since TomTom is not using iPhone GPS, speaker, mic etc. I wouldn't expect them to fly off the shelf.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    The page has now disappeared!!

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TX529ZM/A

Phil
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

This seems a bit over priced. I recently bought a TomTom standalone navigation system for about $150. It has all the features and more that this app will. I don't see why they're charging more for just the navigation app and the added antenna. Like charging more for less. Or am I missing something?

Could you provide your model name/number?

Previously posts showed that a comparable TomTom unit was listed over $400 and doesn't have all the features, i.e., enhanced GPS performance, IQ Routes, etc.

The App Manual is available on line: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manu...-app-en-US.pdf

P.S. The TomTom GO 740 LIVE is priced at $399.95 US and it won't do a smidgen of what the iPhone/TomTom Car Kit is capable. http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Lid=4
  • Reply 7 of 22
    This post originally contained a stupid ignorant comment which the poster has removed for the online community's edification. :-)
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Could you provide your model name/number?

Previously posts showed that a comparable TomTom unit was listed over $400 and doesn't have all the features, i.e., enhanced GPS performance, IQ Routes, etc.

The App Manual is available on line: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manu...-app-en-US.pdf

I'll have to look it up when I get home from work. I'll edit this post when I find out.

EDIT: Taking a closer look, my navigation does not have all the features the iPhone kit has. On another note, while navigation systems on TomTom.com will retail for $399.99, take a look at Amazon and you'll see they actually sell for much cheaper. For example, the $399 kit you mentioned can be had for $299.89.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    How much is an original iPhone worth now like $50?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I'll have to look it up when I get home from work. I'll edit this post when I find out.

Good enough.

Note the P.S. in my previous post, i.e., The TomTom GO 740 LIVE is priced at $399.95 US and it won't do a smidgen of what the iPhone/TomTom Car Kit is capable. http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Lid=4
  • Reply 11 of 22
    If it does actually include a code to install the map software, I could be tempted into buying this as long as the price isn't over $130. As the first (?, basing that on the TomTom/Apple collaboration at WWDC) and most publicized third-party hardware solution, this will be a big test case to see how well others might do. It's also going to be interesting to see if the GPS in the dock can be accessed by other apps, and not just other nav apps.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    TomTom took to long to get to market and Navigon is now so much better than what TomTom offers. I paid $69 for the Navigon app and $20 for a windshield mount, that's less than just the cost of the TT app. The TT car kit has some cool features to enhance performance but it's not enough to make me want to spend that much for it.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Question

Has anybody used their iPhone/GPS app internationally, i.e., while roaming? How much data did you use? How much did it cost? How well did it work in Airport Mode?

For those that have an iPhone/GPS app now and are using it locally, i.e., via their current wireless provider, how much does the combination draw in data usage in Airport mode and under normal connections via 3G?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Question

Has anybody used their iPhone/GPS app internationally, i.e., while roaming? How much data did you use? How much did it cost? How well did it work in Airport Mode?

For those that have an iPhone/GPS app now and are using it locally, i.e., via their current wireless provider, how much does the combination draw in data usage in Airport mode and under normal connections via 3G?

TomTom uses local maps loaded on the iPhone. Usage of data is nihil. I have used it in France without using any data transfer. (I am from Belgium and roaming in France is very expensive for us)

BTW TomTom application did work quite well.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    MacRumors just updated that TomTom has announced that the price for the kit does NOT include the software but will be compatible with iPhone 2G as well (so maybe iPod touch?).

So, really, it seems to be about a doubling of the price to get both kit and app.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    hahaha, I was interested but they can shove it.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Who's in charge of pricing at TomTom?

So for over $200, you turn your iPhone into a sub-par GPS device?

I would have expected to get the software free if you buy the hardware or if you already own the software (which is already overpriced) get the hardware for <$50. That seems more reasonable pricing to me.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I think I'll stick with CoPilot and some gaffer tape for £130 less.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I think I'll stick with CoPilot and some gaffer tape for £130 less.

I am going to wait for the reviews. A couple are noted below. Would be interested in just how much more TomTom's Car Kit will improve the outcomes.
    CoPilot / Know Your Mobile
    • Ease of Use....................2 Stars

• Value ............................3 Stars

• Features ........................4 Stars

• Overall ..........................3 Stars

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/smartp..._8_review.html
    TomTom/ Know Your Mobile
    • Ease of Use ....................5 Stars

• Value .............................3 Stars

• Features .........................4 Stars

• Overall ...........................3 Stars

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/smartp...ne_review.html
    TomTom / PC Advisor
    • Ease of Use ....................4 Stars

• Features .........................3.5 Stars

• Value for Money .............3.5 Stars

• Overall ............................3.5 Stars

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/i...d=3201068&pn=1
    More…
    TomTom for iPhone / Daniweb by Happygeek

"So, do I think it is worth the money? Ultimately yes, even though it is currently missing some bits that I would want before I will switch from standalone TomTom satnav to the all in one iPhone solution. Those bits being the in-car kit, mapshare support, LIVE services for traffic avoidance and the advanced lane change advice. Once they arrive this will be so good that, dare I say it, we could be looking at the start of the end for dedicated in-car satnav units. When phone-based navigation is this good, why bother with anything else?

If I was giving it a rating out of 10, TomTom for iPhone would currently be an 8."

http://www.daniweb.com/reviews/review220785.html#
  • Reply 20 of 22
    So... we can have the pleasure of using our iPhones as docked GPS units for something like $260? What a joke. Better to buy an extremely nice GPS unit on sale--high end stuff here--rather than conform to our iPhone screen and complicate use of our phones. Or even better yet, buy a perfectly functional GPS for under $100 and bank the rest.