Apple reports carbon emissions, touts green hardware

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I thought it wasn't clear the carbon is the cause of climate change. This could all be a big waste of time by Apple.

You really should inform yourself a bit better. Here's a good start: http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_...sis_report.htm
  • Reply 22 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Let's be honest, the pressure from Greenpeace prompted this.

Not really. Many companies - hundreds, in fact - are getting front of sustainability issues in a significant way. The potential consequences associated with the use of natural resources (land, water, fossil fuels, biodiversity resources, metals......) by global businesses have become huge.

In fact, Apple is a bit behind the curve in the larger scheme of things (although it may be one of the leaders in the computer industry). While its reporting is good, it is by no means the best-of-class. You'd be amazed at what companies like 3M, Walmart, Owens-Corning, and Caterpillar (to name just a few) are doing. You can go to their respective websites and poke around and you'll find tons of info. There are dozens and dozens more like them.

But the fact that Jobs himself is seemingly the protagonist on this is very good news.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The AppleTV will have about the same effect on your bill as leaving a 50 watt light bulb on continuously. If you want to calculate the cost, figure about 1.1 kilowatt-hour (kWh) per day times the number of days in the billing period times the kWh rate your electric company charges. (The actual cost will be lower, assuming it doesn't draw full rated power continuously - this is a worst case scenario.)

For most, it works out to only a few dollars more per month.

The Apple TV has to remain on at all times in order for automatic syncing to work properly. Also, if you want the thing to be able to be turned on via the remote, it needs to be "on" in some form or another, listening for that signal from the remote. All VCRs, DVDs, Cable Boxes, etc. are "on" technically, as long as they are plugged in.

The Apple TV is a computer with its own HD. Do you shut your computer off completely every time you don't use it after 15-20 min?

Let's not overstate the consumption issue.

Keep going- this is quite entertaining.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I thought it wasn't clear the carbon is the cause of climate change. This could all be a big waste of time by Apple.

While it may not "be clear" beyond a doubt what is actually causing climate change, I think everyone who can remember the "good old days" when you couldn't "see the air" because of all the pollution, has to agree that it is best to err on the side of caution. If we wait to have definitive proof of the causes, it may well be too late to do anything about it. I applaud Apple on their stance ... way to go Apple!
  • Reply 25 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm sorry, but in NO way is the APPLETV environmentally green or progressive.

From its lack of an "On/Off" switch to the thermal heat it emits continually, it is the exact opposite.

I agree.

AppleTV data are curiously absent on Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/environment/reports/

(just about every other product has detailed data available).
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree.

AppleTV data are curiously absent on Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/environment/reports/

Great catch. Hmmm.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but in NO way is the APPLETV environmentally green or progressive.

From its lack of an "On/Off" switch to the thermal heat it emits continually, it is the exact opposite.

Teckdud, your ability to always "find the cloud behind every silver lining" never fails to amaze me.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:

Somethings just take longer to come about.

There are good reasons why you just don't want to 'switch' off at times. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2671

My PVR and flat screen are 'always' on standby, except when we go away for more than a weekend.

I would expect Apple to add the upcoming AppleTV to the list. But I wouldn't get too upset if they didn't.

Somethings we just have to take some responsibility for ourselves. Others like over idling our cars on cold winter mornings or hot summer days just so we can be comfortable unfortunately have incurred additional local bylaws on the books.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

You really should inform yourself a bit better. Here's a good start: http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_...sis_report.htm

Earth's weather is currently too mathematically complicated to be understood by man. However I do support Apple's actions purely on the level of an efficiency drive. There's no point being wasteful.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Teckdud, your ability to always "find the cloud behind every silver lining" never fails to amaze me.

I try to call it like it is- keep it "real" as they say. Is this case I own one of those hotties and I am constantly bewildered at both the heat it emits and the frustration in powering it completely off.

Even is standby - it runs hot. My 42" TV is in standby I suppose and yet I feel no heat on it.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Somethings just take longer to come about.

Poor excuse for not including it now on the list of products.

Quote:

There are good reasons why you just don't want to 'switch' off at times. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2671

There are more good reasons why you would want to. The fan needs to run all night, etc, etc, etc? What is it that's running hot in the first palce. A fan cooling down what if everything has spun down?

Quote:

My PVR and flat screen are 'always' on standby, except when we go away for more than a weekend.

My 42" plasma TV doesn't emit heat like ATV in standby.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Let's be honest, the pressure from Greenpeace prompted this. Where was the "environmental progress" page when Macs were full of poisonous plastics - you remember, two or three years ago?

Where was anybody 2 or 3 years ago in terms of the environment? .... It's called progress, and while we're at it, what is the rest of the computer industry's ( dell, hp, intel, etc.) stance on this issue today? Go visit with teckdud. Maybe the two of you can find some more things to complain about!
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:

Earth's weather is currently too mathematically complicated to be understood by man.

Wow. On what authority are you saying this?

I suppose all those dozens and dozens of high-quality peer-reviewed science journals, with the thousands and thousands of superbly trained scientists working and publishing on the issue - the standard manner in which scientific thought in today's world is developed, assessed, and disseminated - must amount to a hill of beans, right?

And, what shall we rely on instead? Visions?
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Where was anybody 2 or 3 years ago in terms of the environment? .... It's called progress, and while we're at it, what is the rest of the computer industry's ( dell, hp, intel, etc.) stance on this issue today? Go visit with teckdud. Maybe the two of you can find some more things to complain about!

It's called naming Al Gore, the Nobel Prize-winning climate change campaigner, to your Board of Directors. Let's Keep it REAL. It would be an embarassment to Gore if Apple didn't take action on this.

Please stop using my name to further your agenda.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:

Poor excuse for not including it now on the list of products.

Obviously it doesn't meet their own standards as yet

There are more good reasons why you would want to. The fan needs to run all night, etc, etc, etc? What is it that's running hot in the first palce. A fan cooling down what if everything has spun down?

So pull the plug

My 42" plasma TV doesn't emit heat like ATV in standby.

But your nightlights do.

I wonder how many realize that all those power adapters we have plugged in and use to recharge our cell phones and MP3 players draw power even if nothing is connected to them.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:

It's called naming Al Gore, the Nobel Prize-winning climate change campaigner, to your Board of Directors. Let's Keep it REAL. It would be an embarassment to Gore if Apple didn't take action on this.

Please stop using my name to further your agenda.

Apple had an environmental strategy and web site more than a decade before Gore came on board.

Nobody can criticize Jobs when it come to environmental concerns without cleaning up their own houses first.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Quote:

Apple had an environmental strategy and web site more than a decade before Gore came on board.

Nobody can criticize Jobs when it come to environmental concerns without cleaning up their own houses first.

Then why was Apple taken to task by Greenpeace 5 years ago? What kind of strategy was that?
  • Reply 38 of 84
    another original idea, in case someone wants to have a laugh

http://www.microsoft.com/environment/hohm.aspx

• Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:

I appreciate your response. And I would like to personally apologize to you.

I think you aren't really the troll you present yourself to be.

You just like to Yank Our Chains.

Unfortunately, when we retort likewise, i.e., by yanking your chain, we forget that there is nothing at the other end.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:

I wonder how many realize that all those power adapters we have plugged in and use to recharge our cell phones and MP3 players draw power even if nothing is connected to them.

Why would you leave them plugged in if they weren't in use?

Quote:

But your nightlights do.

Haha very funny. Maybe its because my nightlights are actually performing what they're were purchased for? Same for my refrigerator and my battery operated smoke detector?