Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line

Comments

• Reply 261 of 486
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything but for the life of me I can't think of any reason to put a computer on a kitchen counter where it might come into contact with water. Please explain, I'm dying of curiosity here.

IT

FITS

UNDER

THE

KITCHEN

COUNTER

13 '1N UP

OFF

THE COUNTER

AND

AS

YOU

COOK

YOU

CAN

SURF

RISKY

MAYBE

GREAT TO

WATCH

BATTLE STAr

fantastic

• Reply 262 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

++++

Great point.

And add to that better GPUs
  • Reply 263 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This guy seems to know what he's talking about

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...5768&ux=275907

It's interesting that one of the first things he mentions in subtle changes in screen size (half inches), which might suggest a move to LED, which is not the first thing someone would make up if they were pulling the whole thing out of thin air.

The 25.5" sounds interesting but if Apple keeps the 24" as a mid-range iMac and I can get most of the goods with that model that's what I will be looking at. And now that we finally moved on the 64-bits MacOS the 12GB max RAM is a no brainer. However, I don't see how they do it with laptop parts... on the other hand I didn't follow the latest in PC hardware development either.

As for Blu-ray all I need is an OS & "DVD" player update with the support.
  • Reply 264 of 486
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Backpedalling? What do you call the return of matte sacreen and firewire then? Groundhogs Day?

FIREWIRE is now in matte

wow

my firewire was so glossy and shiny it sucked

thank god for all the whiners who brought us matte firewire

• Reply 265 of 486
    Quote:

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything but for the life of me I can't think of any reason to put a computer on a kitchen counter where it might come into contact with water. Please explain, I'm dying of curiosity here.

Funny, but the first thing I thought of is what about all the grease in the kitchen. I can see how you can keep it out of water by not putting it near water or up off the counter, but if you do any frying or cooking on the stove top, even with good ventilation, a tiny film of grease gets EVERYWHERE.
  • Reply 266 of 486
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Apple really needs to put in quad core chips in this new line up. But I have a feeling that we will be waiting for that a little longer... who knows though. I like and at the same-time dislike Apples constant form over function aesthetics..I totally admire the slim design of the macbooks, and iMac lines, but dammit people want power too. But they just can't squeeze hotter running chips into their casings. It would defeat there designs.

Now with this Grand central tech... the doors have opened up hopefully for more than 2 cores in all of their HW.

Four Atom processors and a virtual screen projected onto atomized mist with a laser from a stylish mini-sized base machined from a single piece of platinum.....

• Reply 267 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You are taking this one step too far, I think. it's easy to conclude that one or another feature produces hostility or indifference, but where's the evidence? Not geek ranting in places like this, I hope. That would be, as you called it -- a post hoc fallacy.

Well, yes, I should have stated that, "... the most we can justifiably conclude ..."

I think it's a pretty safe conclusion that Apple knows what they are doing. However, by indifference, I do not mean something produced as a reaction to something, but just the opposite: that the feature does not provoke a reaction in them at all. In other words the possibility that glossy screens are not a factor, positive or negative, in most people's decision to buy a Mac.

Basically, I'm just saying that, in the absence of some actual objective data on this subject, claims about the benefits or detriments of glossy screens on sales are speculative.
  • Reply 268 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

You mean any reason other than the fact that the mobile i7 tops out at 2.0GHz and costs $1000 while the desktop goes up to 3.33GHz and is priced firmly in 3 digit territory.

Nobody wants a better processor at a lower price do they?

Geez. It's these kinds of perceptions that would allow Apple to get away with using Core 2 Duo Again.

Bregalad, the MID-RANGE i7 Clarksfield quad-core (which has 8 threads with hyperthreading) sells for about the same price as the current Core 2 Duo's being put into the iMac (around $550).

Now you might say that the current Core 2 Duo's have way higher clock speeds, well... the new MID-RANGE i7 Clarksfield quad-cores have turbo boost, which can ramp the clock speeds of 1-2 of its cores up to 3+ GHz. Not to mention those two cores in the Clarksfield are hyperthreaded, and far more efficient/ powerful than the same clock speed in a Core 2 Duo.

Hmmm... I think I do want a better processor at the same price.

Hey, if HP can do it... http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...nvy/index.html ...at well under $2K, why can't Apple?
  • Reply 269 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post

Clarksfield quad-cores have turbo boost...

Does it produce a noticeable whine when that kicks in? Do you feel like you are being pushed back into your chair? That could be a cool feature for gaming.
  • Reply 270 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Does it produce a noticeable whine when that kicks in? Do you feel like you are being pushed back into your chair? That could be a cool feature for gaming.

Google it. Trust me, you'd rather have a mid-range i7 Clarksfield quad-core, with hyperthreading and turbo boost, than the fastest Core 2 Duo.

And again, if HP can do it... http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...nvy/index.html ...for well under $2K in a notebook, why can't Apple?
  • Reply 271 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

I'm quite aware that current iMacs use mobile parts thank you. You are talking about one use case for an iMac - consumers. Because Apple doesn't release the numbers, we have no idea exactly who purchases the greater share of iMacs, but I would be willing to bet that would be graphics design or similar professionals that buy it because it's not worth spending the cash on Mac Pros. Most consumers would choose to buy a Macbook rather than a desktop-based Mac. So in this case, are you really going to tell me that these people wouldn't enjoy a more powerful desktop at a reasonable price point? Plus with the Grand Central technology in Snow Leopard, what point is there in sticking to a duo-core processor? Apple is the first one to tout the performance of their systems compared other competing systems, so I don't think I'm too far off base to criticize them on the lack of performance of their desktop based systems, especially when they choose to push a mobile parts based system against the more traditional desktops out there.

Thank you!!!

I'm a designer and I haven't bought a new MAC since I was in college (5 years!!). I'm still on a freakin 1ghz EMAC and a newer ibook! Apple have been neglecting the design community, we were the bread and butter of their customers, but ever since Apple found the trendy market, they have forgotten their nerdy friends.

Apple needs to realize the difference between a laptop and a desktop.

I want an iMac with power, that's the point of a desktop morons!
  • Reply 272 of 486
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

You haven't seen my kitchen. The spot where I want it is at least 10 feet away from any water source. Great for looking up recipes, listening to iTunes, quick check of the financials in the morning while making coffee, and since I have TV coax right there, with Elgato I could even tune into a live broadcast while enjoying my new HUGE awesome American over the top kitchen.
  • Reply 273 of 486
    They need to either price these things well below $1000 or put quad cores in them. One can only hope that quad imacs will be the norm by the end of the year. Otherwise it really is pretty pathetic when you look closely at your options.
  • Reply 274 of 486
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Apple needs to realize the difference between a laptop and a desktop.

I want an iMac with power, that's the point of a desktop morons![/QUOTE]

This is exactly my point!!! There has to something between a MacPro and an iMac!

I don't want a 3 to 4 thousand dollar desktop BUT I don't want a desktop with laptop parts in it either. There has to be smaller version of the MacPro that has desktop power and componets. Something of a mid range desktop.... NOT an Mac Mini either......
  • Reply 275 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

A purely U.S. thing. No one in Europe does this in the kitchen. No one at least I know personally, I have read or heard about.

So, no, he is not kidding. For the rest of us it is something really unusual.

Not sure, Jeremy Clarkson has a computer in his kitchen... He's a PURE brit. Forget which episode I saw it but a shot of his kitchen there was a PC on the counter... Maybe it was May...

I've had a G3 iMac in mine until we swapped it out for a laptop. Could be the average US home is over 1800 sqft and for whatever reason parties tend to congregate into the kitchen (probably why we are all so fat ). We used AirTunes from the iMac to play music out at the pool while letting iPhoto run through a slide show as a picture frame kinda thing.
  • Reply 276 of 486
    Quote:

Basically, I'm just saying that, in the absence of some actual objective data on this subject, claims about the benefits or detriments of glossy screens on sales are speculative.

I can agree with that. I'd add that Apple does hear consumer complaints, and responds when they think it will improve their bottom line. We can safely assume they have some objective evidence for these decisions. What we hear so often in these discussions, is that if Apple doesn't respond to any one individuals desires or complaints, that they must be clueless.
  • Reply 277 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

There has to something between a MacPro and an iMac!

I don't want a 3 to 4 thousand dollar desktop BUT I don't want a desktop with laptop parts in it either. There has to be smaller version of the MacPro that has desktop power and componets. Something of a mid range desktop.... NOT an Mac Mini either......

There's only $300 dollars between the top of the line iMac and the bottom of the line Mac Pro (which, admittedly, does not include a display), so it's not like there's a whole lot of room there, price-wise. How much would you expect to pay for this machine?
  • Reply 278 of 486
    Quote:

Sort of like the feedback vibration in gaming controllers. Mikey likes it!
  • Reply 279 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I can agree with that. I'd add that Apple does hear consumer complaints, and responds when they think it will improve their bottom line. We can safely assume they have some objective evidence for these decisions. What we hear so often in these discussions, is that if Apple doesn't respond to any one individuals desires or complaints, that they must be clueless.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the ONLY reason Apple brought back the matte finish on any of the current models was to prevent defection or default on large, open purchase orders.

After all, specs on PO's are just that.

Just my $1.25 worth...
  • Reply 280 of 486
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This guy seems to know what he's talking about

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...5768&ux=275907

It's interesting that one of the first things he mentions in subtle changes in screen size (half inches), which might suggest a move to LED, which is not the first thing someone would make up if they were pulling the whole thing out of thin air.

At least the indication is Clarksfield which is more along the lines of what I think needs to be in there.

Dave