Apple reports carbon emissions, touts green hardware

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

another original idea, in case someone wants to have a laugh

http://www.microsoft.com/environment/hohm.aspx

What is so funny about that? Looks like a very useful app to me, and Apple has nothing along these lines. And, it's free.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I appreciate your response. And I would like to personally apologize to you.

I think you aren't really the troll you present yourself to be.

You just like to Yank Our Chains.

Unfortunately, when we retort likewise, i.e., by yanking your chain, we forget that there is nothing at the other end.

A potatoe perhaps?
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Then why was Apple taken to task by Greenpeace 5 years ago? What kind of strategy was that?

As was shown at the time, nobody realized that Apple had a comprehensive environmental site in place at the time stating much of what is posted today, including product disclosures. And had the site up for years. Just like their ergonomic site, which it too has been around for over a decade.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    Quote:

A potatoe perhaps?

Sorry, teckstud. I just can't seem to extend my apology that far.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    Quote:

Why would you leave them plugged in if they weren't in use?

Because they are exactly where they left them, day-in and day-out.

Haha very funny. Maybe its because my nightlights are actually performing what they're were purchased for? Same for my refrigerator and my battery operated smoke detector?

So why aren't they 'motion-sensored'?

Convenience. Economics. Laziness. Ignorance. Stupidity.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    Quote:

So why aren't they 'motion-sensored'?

Because they shouldn't be?

My refrigerator is coolness -sensored.

My smoke detector is smoke-sensored.

My night light is light-sensored.

And they all perform exactly for what they were purchased for. No more no less- unlike ATV
  • Reply 47 of 84
    There's very little 'new' here, and certainly not a new website. Apple's environmental pages has been up for months (if not years). So they have different pictures and some PDFs now. Exciting.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    Quote:

Because they shouldn't be?

My refrigerator is coolness -sensored.

My smoke detector is smoke-sensored.

My night light is light-sensored.

And they all perform exactly for what they were purchased for. No more no less- unlike ATV

Am I to gather that you are still living at home with your parents?
  • Reply 49 of 84
    I just showed this to my wife who is pursuing a Ph.D in Environmental Management. She is currently studying life cycle analysis issues for companies who are trying to lower their overall cabon footprint.

One thing about all this is that "being green" isn't completely altruistic to a publicly traded company. There are serious costs to be saved if you do it right. Reducing energy usage in your offices, manufacturing processes and shipping saves a company lots of money and drives up profits. The fact that aluminum Macbook Pros are carved from a single block where the remains can be melted down and used again means less aluminum that Apple has to buy. Smaller packaging means more product can be shipped from China at once, which reduces shipping costs substancially. Rycycling used products and parts does mean less in landfills but often these parts can be broken down and used again.

All companies like to lower their fixed costs. "Going Green" is a great way to do it if done properly, and the company looks better in the public eye for doing it.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    Quote:

Am I to gather that you are still living at home with your parents?

Yes but unlike Mackenzie Philips I don't have sex with either one of them.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    Good to see that Apple is pushing greener on certain fronts, but there are human rights issues that I’m personally more interested in when it comes to the manufacturing of these products (pretty much all products). I’d rather see Apple’s products made in America, not just developed, even if it meant paying a premium. At least I know that certain working conditions will be met and funds will be within my country’s borders.

Quote:

A potatoe perhaps?

Teckstud is really Dan Quayle. That clears up a lot.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Teckstud is really Dan Quayle. That clears up a lot.

OMG- Mr. 10K + posts is back! Like a genie sprung from a bottle! I'll need to behave now.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. On what authority are you saying this?

On what authority? Common sense. The atmosphere is made of an unimaginable amount of individual particles, all swirling and whirling and influencing each other and influenced by outside factors. There is no way we have an accurate mathematical model of that without making massive simplification. The idea that in such a complex system, we can say with any certainty, that one gas: carbon dioxide is the source of all our problems is just epistemologically untenable.

Quote:

And, what shall we rely on instead? Visions?

Well we shouldn't let social pressure override our common sense about what man is and is not capable of mathematically and epistemologically.

You accuse me of being superstitious, and yet to me it seems you are the superstitious one, imbuing man with almost God-like powers of cognition, understanding and prediction.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

I just showed this to my wife who is pursuing a Ph.D in Environmental Management. She is currently studying life cycle analysis issues for companies who are trying to lower their overall cabon footprint.

One thing about all this is that "being green" isn't completely altruistic to a publicly traded company. There are serious costs to be saved if you do it right. Reducing energy usage in your offices, manufacturing processes and shipping saves a company lots of money and drives up profits. The fact that aluminum Macbook Pros are carved from a single block where the remains can be melted down and used again means less aluminum that Apple has to buy. Smaller packaging means more product can be shipped from China at once, which reduces shipping costs substancially. Rycycling used products and parts does mean less in landfills but often these parts can be broken down and used again.

All companies like to lower their fixed costs. "Going Green" is a great way to do it if done properly, and the company looks better in the public eye for doing it.

WTG Captain Obvious. I don't need to do a Ph.D in Environmental Management to know that. It would be a hideously expensive marketing ploy if they didn't get anything else out of it.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

WTG Captain Obvious. I don't need to do a Ph.D in Environmental Management to know that. It would be a hideously expensive marketing ploy if they didn't get anything else out of it.

You may not need it.

However as long as there are others, and some are here, that doesn't appreciate or get the idea of what the benefits of a 'clean' home are, need the din.

Otherwise, noise wins. And we don't need the crap that clings to it.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You really should inform yourself a bit better. Here's a good start: http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_...sis_report.htm

Perhaps you should better educate yourself as well. There are 2 sides to this debate. Climate change is real. Whether or not it's significantly man-made is VERY much in doubt.

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...0-274616db87e6
  • Reply 57 of 84
    well whether the Apple TV has an off switch or not you could always unplug it.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    1. Hewlett-Packard

2. Dell

4. Intel

5. IBM

12. Cisco Systems

14. Sun Microsystems

16. Adobe Systems

21. Motorola

23. Texas Instruments

31. Microsoft

69. Yahoo

79. Google

126. AT&T

133. Apple

Obviously, I picked out tech companies (skipped a few) to compare to Apple.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

well whether the apple tv has an off switch or not you could always unplug it.

NO_ Really???
  • Reply 60 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

1. Hewlett-Packard

2. Dell

4. Intel

5. IBM

12. Cisco Systems

14. Sun Microsystems

16. Adobe Systems

21. Motorola

23. Texas Instruments

31. Microsoft

69. Yahoo

79. Google

126. AT&T

133. Apple

Obviously, I picked out tech companies (skipped a few) to compare to Apple.

Wow and that's current?