Apple may extend antiglare display option to more Macs

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 150
    It is, from personal experience, virtually impossible for me to work accurately with color on the new glossy screens. I remember being among those who were dissapointed with the new iMac and MacBook glossy-only displays, and took a glossy 13" MacBook back to the Apple store twice; finally realizing that the mirrored, washed out display was hopeless. Because of the new matte option, I'm looking to purchase an anti-glare 15" MBP. I find the computer itself to look even better with the matte option built in than that of the standard gloss.
  • Reply 142 of 150
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I had a chance to visit my local Apple store on Monday and I also will have to put in a vote for antiglare/matte. While sunlight will not be a huge issue for me, color accuracy has and always will as a gamer (not necessarily a PC gamer).

Adding the option to the new iMacs and MacBook Pro 13-inch would be cool but custom alternatives are nice as well.

Edit: WOW! At those pictures. Magnificent!
  • Reply 143 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I am willing to bet most of the "Glossy Haters" don't even own a Mac with a glossy screen. So they are giving an opinion with no experience. Teckstud, who complains constantly about the iPhone, yet finally admits that he has never owned one. Do you own a Mac with a glossy screen, or are you just complaining with no actual evidence?

I just got the iMac 24" with the gorgeous glossy screen. I still have my iMac G5 on the same desk. So I have a side by side comparison of the glossy screen and the matte screen. Hands down, the glossy screen blows away the matte!

2) Brightness. The iMac 24" glossy display is super-bright, really making whites look white. The iMac G5, which is only three years old, looks dull in comparison. The brighter screen is much easier to look at. The brightness is also more uniform across the screen.

3) Color clarity. Colors are far more vivid and the blacks are true deep blacks. Photos and video really jump out of the screen. The matte, again, produces a dull image especially with blacks, that don't really look black through the matte screen.

The glossy screen wins hands down. It is a gorgeous screen to look at. Photo pros used CRT monitors in the past, so the glossy screen is no different.So once you get a Mac with a glossy screen at home, in your own environment, you won't go back to Matte. I also compared my PowerBook G4 with the MacBook Air side-by-side and the glossy screen on the Air blew away the matte screen on the G4.

Needless to say, the use and environment of a computer user varies from person to person. Some people prefer to use a computer for general computing/entertainment, while some have extremely specific professional needs. Every time I've used a "glassy" screen on any of the new Unibody MacBook Pro computers, it has totally dissapointed me in terms of color accuracy and viewing angle. To a lesser extent, the reflection associated with the display is also cause for eye strain in my case. I don't know why someone who hasn't used a glossy screen would comment on its negative aspects without having experienced one themselves as you mentioned. I previously posted having purchased a 13" MacBook w/ a "glassy" screen and took it back because of the display coating, as dissapointing as not being able to keep it was.

That aside, the coating on any CRT monitor that I've ever seen (I'm also looking at a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus pro monitor right now on the table in front of me) does not give off mirror-like reflectivity, and is incredibly different than the new Apple gloss. I think plenty of people would agree. I see no refletivity whatsoever when the monitors are on, and a very minimal suggestion of reflection when the monitors are off. I used them for years before LCD screens became standard. It's a totally different situation.
  • Reply 144 of 150
    I did actually purchase the 15" matte MBP and couldn't be happier with the display. Very nice, really! Perfect for working and also for movies and such..

I'm still getting used to the big size of this (coming from a 12" Powerbook), but the screen is really perfect. Just get one, you won't regret it.
  • Reply 145 of 150
    Since I took those pictures a month ago, my work took delivery of a 15-inch matte version. Its screen is just as impressive as the 17 incher, but...I think one area that makes the 17-inch superior is the much higher resolution screen. It's too bad a 1680x1050 display is not offered on the 15-inch model at a minimum. Work has also taken delivery of a 17-inch in glass. This probably looks by far the best of all the glass screen models, again, in part, due to its high resolution. I have used both and for me, at least, each has their strengths and weaknesses, with the definite edge going to matte.
  • Reply 146 of 150
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Since I took those pictures a month ago, my work took delivery of a 15-inch matte version. Its screen is just as impressive as the 17 incher, but...I think one area that makes the 17-inch superior is the much higher resolution screen. It's too bad a 1680x1050 display is not offered on the 15-inch model at a minimum. Work has also taken delivery of a 17-inch in glass. This probably looks by far the best of all the glass screen models, again, in part, due to its high resolution. I have used both and for me, at least, each has their strengths and weaknesses, with the definite edge going to matte.

Yeah. When I eventually replace this machine, I'm likely going to get another 15" mbp. Two things about the current 15" model bug me though- the first being the lack of a higher resolution display (1680x1050 would do nicely as an optional upgrade), and the second being the thick bezel around the screen. I'm working of a Pre-unibody 15" MBP here and the bezel around the screen is really thin, at least compared to the unibody models. If it's within your means, Just by looking at the 15" unibody side-by-side with an older aluminum 15" MBP, what's your opinion of the thicker bezel? Does it detract from the appearance of the machine?

(Note, I haven't had an opportunity to see one of these things in person)
  • Reply 147 of 150
    Hi Mr.K,

I'm not heading into the office today. Otherwise I'd take side-by-side comparison shots. The matte version with the silver border on the 15-inch is not that bad. But yes, it is thicker than the previous 15-inch.
  • Reply 148 of 150
    Great, thanks. I'd appreciate any side-by-side comparison shots.
  • Reply 149 of 150
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Grr... just from looking at all the different topics, it is getting to be such a tough decision to choose between glossy and matte. In the end, I'll probably go with matte though I keep being swayed.
  • Reply 150 of 150
    Apple needs to hurry and release it so I can stop checking AI every ten minutes wondering when it will be revealed! Hopefully it will ship with an an anti-glare option.

Maybe it will be more attractive than the current iMac. This whole two-tone business (black glassy screen area, matte black rear, black glossy Apple logo, aluminum enclosure) is not so Apple-like. Previous machines with either entirely polycarbonate enclosures or entirely aluminum enclosures are far more aesthetically pleasing. Obviously the polycarbonate is less environmentally, but it's the look I'm talking about here.