GarageBand (4.1.2) won't start... Snow Leopard to blame?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ever since installing Snow Leopard, it seems I haven't been able to open GarageBand. It bounces like 20 times in the dock, stops, and then nothing happens. The menu bar will then display "GarageBand" and nothing else.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling, but that didn't seem to change anything. I did a clean install of Snow Leopard, so I don't think it's an issue with bad plug-ins or what not. I also tried running it froma different profile. Repairing permissions did nothing as well.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

Ever since installing Snow Leopard, it seems I haven't been able to open GarageBand. It bounces like 20 times in the dock, stops, and then nothing happens. The menu bar will then display "GarageBand" and nothing else.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling, but that didn't seem to change anything. I did a clean install of Snow Leopard, so I don't think it's an issue with bad plug-ins or what not. I also tried running it froma different profile. Repairing permissions did nothing as well.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

I'm having the same problem...anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoenixco99 View Post

Thanks!

There is a chance it is not compatible with snow leopard.

I doubt there will be an update to make it more compatible.

I have version 5.1 which has no issues so far for me.

Also can you lets know what issues you are seeing as I maybe able to offer some suggestions on how to fix the problems.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoenixco99 View Post

Thanks!

I actually got everything figured out earlier today thanks to tech support. It's hard to say what exactly did the trick, but here is the process I/we followed.

I deleted GarageBand (from the Applications folder) and the .plist file in ~/Library/Preferences. I then installed the older GarageBand version (from my old old Tiger OS X discs... the Leopard disc would work fine, I'd presume if you have the packaged iLife with it). I then installed the newer version ('08) "on top" of the older version using my iLife DVD.

Once I started GarageBand ('08), the screen hung at that crazy "initialization" stage for 15+ minutes - no joke - and then GarageBand actually loaded. I find it a bit ridiculous that I had to wait 15+ minutes for an application to load, but it now boots in normal time. Apparently there's A LOT of initialization going on...

Hope it helps!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also unplugged all peripherals from my computer except for my speakers, 2nd monitor, and ethernet. Might have had something to do with it, too?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

I actually got everything figured out earlier today thanks to tech support. It's hard to say what exactly did the trick, but here is the process I/we followed.

I deleted GarageBand (from the Applications folder) and the .plist file in ~/Library/Preferences. I then installed the older GarageBand version (from my old old Tiger OS X discs... the Leopard disc would work fine, I'd presume if you have the packaged iLife with it). I then installed the newer version ('08) "on top" of the older version using my iLife DVD.

Once I started GarageBand ('08), the screen hung at that crazy "initialization" stage for 15+ minutes - no joke - and then GarageBand actually loaded. I find it a bit ridiculous that I had to wait 15+ minutes for an application to load, but it now boots in normal time. Apparently there's A LOT of initialization going on...

Hope it helps!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also unplugged all peripherals from my computer except for my speakers, 2nd monitor, and ethernet. Might have had something to do with it, too?

yea, I have 5.1(386) and after the snow update, garage band had to "update 30+ audio units and it took 5+ minutes and hid the window behind other apps. But once it was done, working just grand!