Report: Apple pushed Intel to develop Light Peak cabling

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

So is this why we haven't heard anything new about Firewire updates? Remember Firewire 1600 and 3200? Yeah. Those. Also could explain my Apple hasn't put eSATA on anything officially.

This is really good news.

No, it's because Apple won't have Blu-ray (with the possible exception of a price that doesn't make it worth the upgrade.

You won't have HDMI without buying an iAdapter.

You will not get Quad Core in anything but the Desktop ProMac.

You won't have anything but laptop parts in the next round of iMac upgrades because Apple is trying to make their computer forecast number without relying on the iPhone or any of their other Media products.

You will see a very poor upgrade to all models this year so Apple can continue to make their numbers. You are paying twice as much for PC parts and can't wait to get your hands on them.
  • Reply 22 of 156
    Damn I was waiting for Arrandales to pop up in the MacBook Pro to replace one, now I gotta wait for this too!
  • Reply 23 of 156
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I hope they add Light Peak to Airport Extreme, a 10Gbps lan would be nice.
  • Reply 24 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badNameErr View Post

"In addition, Intel said it's working on bundling the optical fiber with copper wire so Light Peak can be used to power devices plugged into the PC, he said."

From: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10360047-264.html

Bring it on!

Nice find on the c-net article. It'll be interesting to see how aggressive the adoption rate will be. Device manufacturers are obviously the key and if the mention of Sony being on board is true this will be huge. Powered and more bandwidth than you'd ever need in one cable; awesome!
  • Reply 25 of 156
    This is a semi-public/private forum, Shouldn't there be a minimum or a cover charge for civility or germaneness?

TIA

Dick
  • Reply 26 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

I wonder why the mods here haven't booted you for trolling yet.

According to your personal private email to me you say you're a Moderator. You tell me.

I'll just be back under a new name, I don't lose sleep over the hatred in this room.

Just do me a favor and drop me a email to let me know if Intel has been added to the "I'm an Appe Fan and Must Hate X Vendor" List.

my

It's hard to keep up with these days, Apple has pissed of every vendor they have ever partnered with.

Let me know when Steve hates puppy dogs and kittens. I'll be sure to add them to them to my list.

Dumb Ass Sheep.
  • Reply 27 of 156
    Transmitting data over optical cabling is hardly new. Audio information has been transmitted over Toslink for over a decade and most Macs have that built in standard these days. The big deal is the transfer rate. Right now, 10g/sec is only in the realm of data centers. Putting in the hands of consumers is a big deal. And if Apple is actually behind this, it would explain why that Firewire hasn't moved from FW800 or their lack of interest in eSATA.

Should be interesting when we see chipsets...
  • Reply 28 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This isn't about connecting peripherals or synching one device with another.

This is about about parts of a single device communicating with other parts of the same device-- for example, a foldable (clamshell) tablet device with 2 touch screens, These can act separately: virtual kb & screen; two screens... or when locked in an extended position, 1 large screen (and virtual kb).

Even better, with a suitable connector, multiples of these devices could be interconnected to create an interactive video wall, operating at the speed of light... plug your iPhone (or anything else you can think of) into that!

This changes everything!

You just described Microsoft's new Tablet device. A two screen planner for the business and home user for Video. It?s code named Courier. Look it up.

But I'm guessing on how accurately you described it you already know it.
  • Reply 29 of 156
    Yamaha Pro Audio announced they are working on new ideas including high speed interconnect for their future devices. Sure wish they would use something like this Light Peak for all their future cabling. Hopefully Apple and Intel are trying to get all manufactures they can on board. It sure would make life easier if all hardware connections were the same and it would then just be up to the software and drivers.

Here's the link for the Yamaha white paper.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/downlo...systems_en.pdf
  • Reply 30 of 156
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This isn't about connecting peripherals or synching one device with another.

This is about about parts of a single device communicating with other parts of the same device-- for example, a foldable (clamshell) tablet device with 2 touch screens, These can act separately: virtual kb & screen; two screens... or when locked in an extended position, 1 large screen (and virtual kb).

Even better, with a suitable connector, multiples of these devices could be interconnected to create an interactive video wall, operating at the speed of light... plug your iPhone (or anything else you can think of) into that!

This changes everything!

Yes it does. For me this is also about miniaturization, simplification and just very cool design. The idea of a single cable / port design that can cover all needs is awesome. With multiple protocols sharing that one cable there might one day be a practical way to clean up the present cable mess. Apple certainly leads the way here but we are still a long way from cable nirvana. At the moment my MacBook is connected to my Cinema Display with a triple cable. The monitor itself is powered with a big fat cable. Then there are the usual USB suspects. If these can all be replaced by one thin little cable leading to a small powered hub tucked away in a shelf somewhere I would be oh so happy. The elimination of cables is a big part of the Apple design aesthetic and as we all know sometimes wireless isn't possible or simply doesn't cut it.

This does indeed change everything.
  • Reply 31 of 156
    NVF, what are you, some kind of (bad) comedian? You complain about all the "hate", then paste your own hateful drivel here? What a pathetic hypocrite. If this is such a bad group of people, why do you hang around? Get on your high horse and ride off into the sunset... PLEASE.
  • Reply 32 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

NVF, what are you, some kind of (bad) comedian? You complain about all the "hate", then paste your own hateful drivel here? What a pathetic hypocrite. If this is such a bad group of people, why do you hang around? Get on your high horse and ride off into the sunset... PLEASE.

if you feed the trolls, it attracts others..like raccoons.

just put him in your ignore list. I've just graced him/it/her with a place in mine.
  • Reply 33 of 156
    Time to buy stock in whatever company is making Fiber Optics... Between FIOSS and now this... Dow Corning?

Sounds pretty slick. One connector daisy chaining all your devices together. I can see the advantage in video and somewhat in audio but running optics between devices... LAN-sure! We are doing that now.

Durability comes to question. I've snapped some FO lines before (heck, June 09) so I can see this being a bit of an issue that will need solved. You can bend copper 180* but FO doesn't like that so much.
  • Reply 34 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

You just described Microsoft's new Tablet device. A two screen planner for the business and home user for Video. It?s code named Courier. Look it up.

Actually it sounds exactly like my Son's Ninetendo DS. A Clamshell two screen touch sensitive device. Although it's been out for some time so maybe you were right.
  • Reply 35 of 156
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So how would this work, in practice? If the interconnect is capable of handling lots of different signal types, do you just put a bunch of Light Peak ports on a machine, so that the user can use them in whatever configuration he or she wants?

Or does the spec allow multiple signal types on a single port simultaneously? So that, for instance, if you had a device that you wanted to make as small as possible, you could give it a single Light Peak port on an internal Light Peak bus which could connect to a hub/router of some sort and drive a variety of external devices i/o devices at once?
  • Reply 36 of 156
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

According to your personal private email to me you say you're a Moderator. You tell me.

I'll just be back under a new name, I don't lose sleep over the hatred in this room.

Just do me a favor and drop me a email to let me know if Intel has been added to the "I'm an Appe Fan and Must Hate X Vendor" List.

my

It's hard to keep up with these days, Apple has pissed of every vendor they have ever partnered with.

Let me know when Steve hates puppy dogs and kittens. I'll be sure to add them to them to my list.

Dumb Ass Sheep.

The only person with hatred on this board is you. Most of us just laugh at your idiocy. Your paranoid delusions hurt nobody but yourself.
  • Reply 37 of 156
    Quote:

NVF, is this what you are referring to?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4928842683632#
  • Reply 38 of 156
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    The fact that it has power, having a dock to attach any number of other devices to it would be pretty convenient, especially for laptop users. For example connect an eSATA portable drive to a MBA and run an external display off the same cable as well as capture video from an old firewire camcorder over the hub.

I suspect this connector is intended to replace ethernet too so again MBA owners can plug in to a high speed network.

What would be nice is if one day we could plug computers directly into phone lines the way we used to. Even if it required new phones, I'd rather do without relying on a modem plugged in all the time. Sure we'll still need routers but it cuts down the cost and cabling, plus we get VoiP for free. It will exclude calls to mobile networks and possibly international calls at first.

It's a little curious why Intel would develop this alongside USB3 though. Maybe this is why they delayed it? I suspect for peripherals, it will be best to have both USB and this optical connection. If you look at the side of the Mac laptops, the biggest ports are ethernet and FW800 so to reduce the thickness, those have to be replaced.

Having it on the iphone would be interesting. No more massive plug connector and as I said before, if it was able to sit inside the device, it would be much more attractive. It could even double the iphone up as a landline phone. Aren't people tired of having to call people by number? Companies even have to put words into the numbers to help people remember them by using a code system and you have different numbers for different devices.

I'd like my VoiP iphone to be able to call people by name/profile like Skype and if I need a local service, I can do a search way more easily as the profile would have that information.
  • Reply 39 of 156
    The biggest problem Apple would have is getting anyone else to give a damn. I can't see USB going away for a very long time yet.
  • Reply 40 of 156
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    Wasn't this optical interface supposed to be part of the USB 3.0 standard? There are numerous articles that can be googled about just this subject.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9780794-1.html

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/09...b_3_announced/

If this is indeed true and not just rumor, I wonder why the new buzzword?