Safari 4.0.3 crashes a lot

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Since the last update my Safari 4.0.3 crashes a lot. Like 3 or 4 times a day. Either that or it shows the spinning beach ball, meaning Safari is not responding and needs to be force quit. It looks like it's happening when a page is (re)loading.

This looks a lot like the continuous crashing that happened to Safari 4 when it was just launched (was that in April, or May?). That was then reason for me to switch to Firefox. If this keeps up I might do that again. Or maybe to Chrome.

Anybody else have this?

(I'm still on OSX.5.8).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Since the last update my Safari 4.0.3 crashes a lot. Like 3 or 4 times a day. Either that or it shows the spinning beach ball, meaning Safari is not responding and needs to be force quit. It looks like it's happening when a page is (re)loading.

This looks a lot like the continuous crashing that happened to Safari 4 when it was just launched (was that in April, or May?). That was then reason for me to switch to Firefox. If this keeps up I might do that again. Or maybe to Chrome.

Anybody else have this?

(I'm still on OSX.5.8).

Do you use any unofficial extensions (Glims, Saft, etc.)? Does the crashing occur randomly or if specific sites are open? Is your Flash version updated? Does the crashing occur if you block all flash elements using ClickToFlash?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Do you use any unofficial extensions (Glims, Saft, etc.)?

No

Quote:

Does the crashing occur randomly or if specific sites are open?

Haven't been able to pin it on specific sites yet. Seems random.

Quote:

Is your Flash version updated?

Yes

Quote:

Does the crashing occur if you block all flash elements using ClickToFlash?

Got to try that. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Tried ClicktoFlash on and off, but no difference.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    However, almost 24 hours later, I haven't had any Safari crashes anymore since installing ClickToFlash... although it is a pain to have to click all those Flash links.

So it seems you were right, Erunno, that the Flash content (still...!) is the shaky part of rendering webpages in Safari 4.0.3.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

However, almost 24 hours later, I haven't had any Safari crashes anymore since installing ClickToFlash... although it is a pain to have to click all those Flash links.

So it seems you were right, Erunno, that the Flash content (still...!) is the shaky part of rendering webpages in Safari 4.0.3.

If possible you could switch to OS 10.6 in which Flash runs in its own process due to Safari being 64 bit and Flash only a 32 bit process. A useful side effect is that if Flash crashes it won't crash Safari as well.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Anybody else have this?

(I'm still on OSX.5.8).

Doesn't crash for me on the same 10.5.8. What do your logs say?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Doesn't crash for me on the same 10.5.8. What do your logs say?

Dunno where they live so I've got to wait for the next crash message to see 'm...

BTW: did StumbleUpon sessions in Firefox and Chrome today. Both were considerably faster than Safari, with Chrome being the fastest.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Dunno where they live so I've got to wait for the next crash message to see 'm... .

Open the Console app.. show the Log List and find the CrashReporter sub-folder and you should find your crash logs.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

Open the Console app.. show the Log List and find the CrashReporter sub-folder and you should find your crash logs.

Thanks.

I found about a half dozen crash reports of the last week with about 200 lines of gibberish in each of 'm, but one thing in each that I 'recognized': "Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000022", or other last 2 digits.

Is that what is called a 'kernel panic'?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Thanks.

I found about a half dozen crash reports of the last week with about 200 lines of gibberish in each of 'm, but one thing in each that I 'recognized': "Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000022", or other last 2 digits.

Is that what is called a 'kernel panic'?

No this isn't a kernel panic.

This is:

• Reply 11 of 19
    A Crash Report will usually have an item in the header that looks like:

Crashed Thread: 8

Find yours and then find the thread number it mentions and then look to see if any key words jump out at you like flash or plugin, etc.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

A Crash Report will usually have an item in the header that looks like:

Crashed Thread: 8

Find yours and then find the thread number it mentions and then look to see if any key words jump out at you like flash or plugin, etc.

Thanks, Endy. The 'key words that jumped out at me' are "KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE"...

I'm assuming that "KERN" is short for kernel, and therefore a kernel protection failure looks like a pretty fundamental bug to me. Maybe even a Unix bug.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    A KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE is a very general error caused when an Application requests access to memory space that the kernel does not believe belongs to that Application. It can be caused by a variety of different bugs in the Application and doesn't really have any major meaning. If you look at the crashed thread like I mentioned it will show the last items being executed (latest is listed first) which may provide better hints as to the problem but may still just be obtuse programming functions.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    I would uninstall plugins, firefox and all third party crapware and restarting.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    The latest Safari crash – just 10 minutes ago – froze up my entire MBP and required a hard restart to get out of.

If that is not the result of a kernel protection failure I don't know what is!

I'm worried about this. It feels like the foreboding of something really nasty.

Extra attention to backups!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Sounds like Flash. Flash crashes for me all the time. Especially with the the newest Safari.

When I was using 10.5.8, the log would only report a kernel protection failure. With 10.6.1 I get a WebKitPluginHost diagnostic report. The first part reads;

Process: WebKitPluginHost [2972]

Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/WebKitPluginHost.app/Contents/MacOS/WebKitPluginHost

Identifier: com.apple.WebKit.PluginHost

Version: 6531 (6531.4)

Build Info: WebKitPluginHost-65310400~1

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: WebKitPluginAgent [2936]

PlugIn Path: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player

PlugIn Identifier: com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin

PlugIn Version: 10.0.32 (1.0.4f18472)

Date/Time: 2009-10-04 12:16:33.558 -0700

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)

Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000006c65722f

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Sounds like Flash. Flash crashes for me all the time. Especially with the the newest Safari.

When I was using 10.5.8, the log would only report a kernel protection failure. With 10.6.1 I get a WebKitPluginHost diagnostic report. The first part reads;

Process: WebKitPluginHost [2972]

Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/WebKitPluginHost.app/Contents/MacOS/WebKitPluginHost

Identifier: com.apple.WebKit.PluginHost

Version: 6531 (6531.4)

Build Info: WebKitPluginHost-65310400~1

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: WebKitPluginAgent [2936]

PlugIn Path: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player

PlugIn Identifier: com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin

PlugIn Version: 10.0.32 (1.0.4f18472)

Date/Time: 2009-10-04 12:16:33.558 -0700

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)

Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000006c65722f

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

I've been running ClicktoFlash for a week now, but no discernible difference.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Good luck with the next generation smartphones then.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Good luck with the next generation smartphones then.

Well, as I don't have a smartphone. Nor plan to get one with these ridiculous rates the carriers are charging. I think I'm safe.