10.7 Predictions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'll go out on a limb and make the following predictions for 10.7:

Hardware Support:

I expect 10.7 will run on all Macs with 64-bit Intel processors. That would mean that early Intel-based Macs with Core Solo or Core Duo (as opposed to Core 2 Duo) would not run 10.7. That would allow Apple to stop shipping 32-bit apps. The specific models that have 32-bit Intel processors are:

iMac: Rev A

Mac Mini: Rev A and B

MacBook: Rev A

MacBook Pro: Rev A and B

Except for the Rev B Mac Mini, these were all produced exclusively in 2006.

Kernel:

I expect 10.7 to continue to ship with both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels, but for the 64-bit kernel to boot by default on all Macs with 64-bit EFI. (By the way, I expect 10.8 to drop the 32-bit kernels and not run on Macs with 32-bit EFI.)

Xcode:

I expect 10.7 to drop all tools for Carbon development. (I expect run-time support for Carbon apps in 10.7.)

Resolution Independence:

Long overdue and probably the most important new feature for 10.7.

ZFS:

HFS+ is really quite long in the tooth and Time Machine is screaming for a modern file system. If not ZFS, then another modern file system will be needed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    Might as well make it a wishlist:
    • Resolution independence

• Full ZFS or Btrfs support

• PowerPC support <- one can still dream

• x86-32 support <- too soon to drop 32bit Intel Macs

• ARM support <- For tablet and future transition to ARM

• Japanese language recognition in trackpad <- was surprised to find out the trackpad only support Chinese language and doesn't apply to the Japanese language regardless of nearly identical characters

• English (and other European languages) support in trackpad <- couldn't be any more difficult than Chinese characters

One hardware wish is adding the same epically great multitouch trackpad to Apple's keyboard.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

x86-32 support <- too soon to drop 32bit Intel Macs

I suppose that depends on when one expects 10.7 to ship. I agree that right now would be too soon to drop new OS support for 32-bit Intel Macs. I think a year from now would be marginal. But what about 2011? I have a tough time seeing why Apple should continue to release new OS versions for four to five year-old hardware. Retaining too much legacy support leads to bloat.

ps: I like Apple's policy of continuing to release security updates for 10.n until the release of 10.n+2.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Window buttons will be more square.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    - Finder will have an integrated App Store for purchasing Mac OS X applications digitally over the Internet.

- Software Update will be integrated with the Mac OS X App Store, finding updates for purchased Apps as well as OS X and Apple software.

- Bootcamp re-imagined as an optional, full-time Classic Layer supporting Vista and Windows 7 with full hardware acceleration. Install Windows applications right from the SETUP.EXE file on the application's CD/DVD.

- Dashboard widgets integrated into the Menu bar (similar to how Expose was integrated into the Dock).

- Multi-touch touch screen support for new touch screen LCDs

- Multi-touch trackpad support for an upcoming USB Apple Keyboard with a multi-touch track pad built in.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

- Multi-touch trackpad support for an upcoming USB Apple Keyboard with a multi-touch track pad built in.

I cannot think of any reason why these could not be supported in 10.6.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    10.7 Predictions

What is Apple going to call 10.7?
  • Reply 7 of 92
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    10.7 = Clouded Leopard. Someone smarter than me came up with this one on an post on AI a while back

A strong emphasis on cloud based computing integration. Wonder why Apple is building that huge billion dollar datacenter in North Carolina...

Cloud based Time Machine backups

Cloud based full version of iWork

One can only image what HTML 5 will bring to the online world

Further integration with iPhone 4G and cloud services

I don't see cloud based music libraries yet. Too much bandwidth for all the 100 million iTunes users it would need to support

Multi touch automobile AppleTV/Tablet spin off with the obvious maps, temperature contorls, etc

Some one mentioned a "Classic" version of Boot Camp but I see Apple phasing Boot Camp out. Running exe files in a "Classic" environment is even worse for security on your mac. You'd be susceptible to Windows and Mac vulnerabilities simultaneously. EVERYONE who doesn't run AV now would certainly need to
  • Reply 8 of 92
    Some extrapolations into 10.7:

1. Resolution Independence

2. Add trackpad to external keyboard

3. More Automator actions and perhaps some new Automator features

4. Enhance AppleScript Editor with better debugging and improved dictionary format. Extending scriptability throughout the OS, bundled apps, and iLife. Extending language to support integrated file system abstractions.

5. Some form of increased backup granularity in Time Machine in HFS+

6. Improved Time Machine retrieval interface

7. Some type of reflection of the new integrated file system abstractions to the user in the GUI

8. Update of OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks to reflect later versions of these standards; some form of 3D services to apps

9. Adding back in functionality to QuickTime X that existed in QuickTime 7

10. Refinement (not drastic change) of GUI

11. Porting some new functions from iPhone OS. For example, additional multi-touch trackpad features, and maybe Voice Control

12. Additional carefully selected bridges to the Windows platform in the enterprise area

13. Some form of pilot advanced file system in the Server OS

14. Continued depreciation of Carbon in Xcode

15. Additional de-emphasis of 32-bit Intel CPU support, but not elimination

16, Export of system preferences
  • Reply 9 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

- Finder will have an integrated App Store for purchasing Mac OS X applications digitally over the Internet.

- Software Update will be integrated with the Mac OS X App Store, finding updates for purchased Apps as well as OS X and Apple software.

- Bootcamp re-imagined as an optional, full-time Classic Layer supporting Vista and Windows 7 with full hardware acceleration. Install Windows applications right from the SETUP.EXE file on the application's CD/DVD.

- Dashboard widgets integrated into the Menu bar (similar to how Expose was integrated into the Dock).

Sorry, but that massive integration contradicts UNIX and NeXT Philosophies. Cocoa Services will continue to expand to leverage across the OS with 3rd parties and extend the functionality through light services of all applications.

I'd expect iTunes Services to be accessible through the Finder where it makes sense.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

10.7 = Clouded Leopard.

cool ideas. Perhaps "Sky Leopard" would be a good name too.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

15. Additional de-emphasis of 32-bit Intel CPU support, but not elimination

What were you thinking of specifically?

I can only see 3 options for Apple to choose from in terms of phasing out support for old hardware with 10.7:

- support all the hardware supported by 10.6,

- drop support for the 32-bit processors (my prediction for 10.7),

- drop support for 32-bit EFI (my prediction for 10.8).

Dropping support for 32-bit processors means not needing to ship fat binaries. That would allow Apple to boast that 10.7 takes less disk space than 10.6. As I noted in the opening post, relatively few machines would be affected. It would be the first six or so months' production of Intel MacBooks, Macbooks Pro, and iMacs plus the first 17 months' production of Intel Macs Mini.

Dropping support for 32-bit EFI means not having to ship 32-bit kernels.

The problems with not dropping support for any old machines are:

- it sets unreasonable customer expectations for the future, and

- it means 10.8 will see a very large set of hardware rendered unsupported.

In my opinion, it's better to take a small slice with each release than a large slice every once in a while.

I also note that, with the exception of some high-end MacBooks Pro, all the Macs which shipped with 32-bit Intel processors came equipped with only 512MB of ram in standard configurations. 10.6 demands 1GB of ram. The 32-bit Intel Macs are already obsolescent and will be obsolete by the time 10.7 ships (presumably in 2011).

I'll make one further prediction that the first Developer Preview Release of 10.7 will be at the 2010 WWDC.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    lion

/s'obvious
  • Reply 13 of 92
    windows 7 applocker equivalent. more enterprise features.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDraden View Post

cool ideas. Perhaps "Sky Leopard" would be a good name too.

The thing is that up to now they have chosen names for animals that actually exist ... not too sure about "Clouded Leopard" or " Sky Leopard", but what about Cheetah? ... The fastest cat of them all!
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

The thing is that up to now they have chosen names for animals that actually exist ... not too sure about "Clouded Leopard" or " Sky Leopard", but what about Cheetah? ... The fastest cat of them all!

Do ya research!
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I'll make one further prediction that the first Developer Preview Release of 10.7 will be at the 2010 WWDC.

Ummm, I doubt it.. too soon I think.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

What were you thinking of specifically?

I can only see 3 options for Apple to choose from in terms of phasing out support for old hardware with 10.7:

- support all the hardware supported by 10.6,

- drop support for the 32-bit processors (my prediction for 10.7),

- drop support for 32-bit EFI (my prediction for 10.8).

Dropping support for 32-bit processors means not needing to ship fat binaries. That would allow Apple to boast that 10.7 takes less disk space than 10.6. As I noted in the opening post, relatively few machines would be affected. It would be the first six or so months' production of Intel MacBooks, Macbooks Pro, and iMacs plus the first 17 months' production of Intel Macs Mini.

Dropping support for 32-bit EFI means not having to ship 32-bit kernels.

The problems with not dropping support for any old machines are:

- it sets unreasonable customer expectations for the future, and

- it means 10.8 will see a very large set of hardware rendered unsupported.

In my opinion, it's better to take a small slice with each release than a large slice every once in a while.

I also note that, with the exception of some high-end MacBooks Pro, all the Macs which shipped with 32-bit Intel processors came equipped with only 512MB of ram in standard configurations. 10.6 demands 1GB of ram. The 32-bit Intel Macs are already obsolescent and will be obsolete by the time 10.7 ships (presumably in 2011).

Good catch. I didn't think that through; especially the 1GB minimum requirement. Thanks.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    There are plenty of 3rd party apps that do the following but nothing is as "blessed" for use as an Apple created tool.

1. System wide tagging using metadata.

2. Software Update for 3rd parties - I've got too many app, many that that need updating on a daily or weekly basis at times. I need help. Apple needs to leverage Sparkle or build a new tool altogether. It can be "opt in" if they want to avoid Tech Support calls.

3. Notification Updates - a la Growl.

4. Uninstaller - Something like Clean App that runs a daemon and gets everything. I love trying out apps but hate the residue left over after deletion.

5. Speech to Text- Dragon Naturally Speaking for cheap.

6. ZFS support

7. iSCSI support

8. Quicktime X Pro - all the modern goodness with extra support for codecs and ehanced editing features.

9. Scripting - Major update to scripting. Basically Applesript will continue to leverage other tools through a bridge but if everything was wrapped up in a stable API where developers could have access to more scripting formats without going through a simple bridge that would be ideal.

10. OpenCL and Grand Central 2 - I think version 2.0 of these technologies will continue to sweeten the pot and prepare us for powerful computing from mobile platforms up to server platforms.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

10.7 = Clouded Leopard. Someone smarter than me came up with this one on an post on AI a while back

A strong emphasis on cloud based computing integration. Wonder why Apple is building that huge billion dollar datacenter in North Carolina...

Cloud based Time Machine backups

Cloud based full version of iWork

One can only image what HTML 5 will bring to the online world

Further integration with iPhone 4G and cloud services

I don't see cloud based music libraries yet. Too much bandwidth for all the 100 million iTunes users it would need to support

Multi touch automobile AppleTV/Tablet spin off with the obvious maps, temperature contorls, etc

Some one mentioned a "Classic" version of Boot Camp but I see Apple phasing Boot Camp out. Running exe files in a "Classic" environment is even worse for security on your mac. You'd be susceptible to Windows and Mac vulnerabilities simultaneously. EVERYONE who doesn't run AV now would certainly need to

I'll add...

cloud based idvd

cloud based imovie

cloud based iphoto

cloud based iweb

cloud based garageband

Putting these apps in the cloud will allow you to make compilations of photos, videos, and music with all your friends and family providing pictures, videos, and music to use. And of course allow you to publish these compilations to MobileMe or Facebook.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Do ya research!

Another example of research trumping memory !